• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Western Trip

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Looking for some insight and help. I'm planning a trip with my father, brother in law, and cousin to get out to the Togwotee. I'm planning on staying in Dubois. We will be out January 20-25. I have a thousand questions in my mind. Its a long way out there from Maine and its our first time to the area.

Sled setup. Looks like 7-9000 feet?

Any parking areas we should avoid riding out of? Easier/harder ones for parking? Are they all full by 7, 8, or 9? We treeride/boondock out here on the east coast. Probably ride out of the Overlook Parking area at least one day just to take in the spectacular views. But is Tie Hack or Brooks Lake parking a good place to launch too?

I know, I know, but any riding area we should aim for? Or better yet, any areas that we don't want to go.

Is there anywhere in Dubois we can rent beacons, probes, and probably a GPS unit?

I'll take any information people want to share. We just want to get out there and enjoy the week. Play in some meadows, trees, and see how much more addicted to sledding we can get.

Thank you in advance

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
I'll address one question, transceivers and other avy gear. The cost to purchase the gear will be a drop in the bucket in comparison to the overall cost of the trip. Do yourself a solid and get the gear now so you all have time to familiarize yourself with it and practice transceiver searches. You need to be proficient in transceiver operation. You only have minutes to save a partner. Search and Rescue is hours away. Renting transceivers will only make it easier for SAR to recover the body.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I'll address one question, transceivers and other avy gear. The cost to purchase the gear will be a drop in the bucket in comparison to the overall cost of the trip. Do yourself a solid and get the gear now so you all have time to familiarize yourself with it and practice transceiver searches. You need to be proficient in transceiver operation. You only have minutes to save a partner. Search and Rescue is hours away. Renting transceivers will only make it easier for SAR to recover the body.
While I agree with Bowtie about practicing with your gear, if this is not a going to be a regular thing to go to the mountains. OE Rentals will rent you everything you need for your trip and ship to your door before you leave. I have used them several times with my family for a once a year trip for them.
I would also recommend that you pony up for a guide for the group not only will you have more fun and be safer you will get some tips on riding skills if you have never been out west before. It is way to easy to drop into an area you should not be in without local knowledge. Lastly pack gear to spend the night just in case.
Muffin

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I would say that if you're traveling that far its well worth the $$$ to pay a guide to take you out for a few days ... Then you can split off on your own once you have a lay of the land. I don't know of any outfits in Dubois myself, but I do know Togwotee Mountain Lodge rents all the equipment you'll need.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
if your first time out I say just stay at the tog lodge pay the money let the guid show you around . I am not a huge fan of tog but for a first time out pretty hard to beat .
self guiding and self reading snow conditions and trying to find honey holes then find your way out before dark can be a bit overwhelming your first time out . if going to that **** show of a range any way may as well go all in and pay the lodge for the full package .and from mane just fly out snd rent from the lodge for 4 days the lodge will pick you up in Jackson drop you off in Jackson that is min of 3 days you can spend at work not in a truck that will pay for sled rental and the gas will pay for air tix .
just book the early season package at the lodge pretty sure your dated are still early season rates . everything is covered then even drinking

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
if your first time out I say just stay at the tog lodge pay the money let the guid show you around .

Have to agree with this portion.
You will not regret staying at the lodge and getting the opportunity of learning the lay of the area the first time.

I on the other hand enjoy Tog and head up there several times a season, when the snow is good, the place is outstanding.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for the information. We are taking an avalanche seminar with Mike Duffy in NH before we go.

I like the OE Rentals option. That is a big help. Trying to lock down and bring as much as possible before getting there.

Are there any guide companies out there besides Tog lodge? Google isn't coming up with too much. Or will they do guiding to non-guests? I like the idea of just staying there and renting everything but the cost just gets to be too much. It'd be almost $1000 extra per person to stay at the lodge. Plus another $1000 to rent a sled for a week.

Again thanks in advance

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Are there any guide companies out there besides Tog lodge? Google isn't coming up with too much. Or will they do guiding to non-guests? I like the idea of just staying there and renting everything but the cost just gets to be too much. It'd be almost $1000 extra per person to stay at the lodge. Plus another $1000 to rent a sled for a week.

Again thanks in advance

Cameron Chimenti runs 3C Guiding out of the area and knows it well. You can look him up on FB.

Last edited:
T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI

Again thanks in advance

Crooked Creek Guest Ranch is just outside of Dubois. They offer a guide and will rent sleds and avi gear. Tog will also guide to non guests.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

Looking for some insight and help. I'm planning a trip with my father, brother in law, and cousin to get out to the Togwotee. I'm planning on staying in Dubois. We will be out January 20-25. I have a thousand questions in my mind. Its a long way out there from Maine and its our first time to the area.

Sled setup. Looks like 7-9000 feet?
8-10k is typically what we run there

Any parking areas we should avoid riding out of? Easier/harder ones for parking? Are they all full by 7, 8, or 9? We treeride/boondock out here on the east coast. Probably ride out of the Overlook Parking area at least one day just to take in the spectacular views. But is Tie Hack or Brooks Lake parking a good place to launch too?
The easiest place to park is the public lot right on the west side of Togwotee Mountain Lodge, but there are also parking areas throughout the entire zone.

I know, I know, but any riding area we should aim for? Or better yet, any areas that we don't want to go.

Togwotee is HUGE, the biggest thing is, get educated and be aware of dangerous terrain.

Is there anywhere in Dubois we can rent beacons, probes, and probably a GPS unit?

As others have stated, buy them, familiarize yourself with them, learn how to proficiently use them. This is a no brainer. It all comes down to "what is your life worth?". Trust me, you WILL be addicted to western riding and you will be back. Avy gear is well worth the money. If anything buy a transceiver, probe, shovel, and then rent an avy bag.

I'll take any information people want to share. We just want to get out there and enjoy the week. Play in some meadows, trees, and see how much more addicted to sledding we can get.

There is nothing in the world that compares. Have fun, be safe, and listen to Duffy, he knows his stuff.

Thank you in advance

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Thank you for all the advice. We are booked to stay in Dubois. And we are getting a guide for the first 2 days and a couple of friends who have been before are joining us later in the week. Renting equipment as its pretty cheap and we can get it a week in advance for less than $20. We plan to play and get used to it in that week and hopefully at rest stops and things on the drive out.

Bring on the snow!

Hope to see some you out there tearing it up

Premium Features