• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 fusion 900 starts right up dies once warm then won't restart

C
Sep 13, 2015
I've got a 2005 fusion 900. Ran perfect all last winter put about 750 miles on it. Then one day I was riding down a trail and with no warning whatsoever it died on me. I tried to restart it right after and it didn't make any signs of restarting. I pulled it off the trail and rode with a buddy the rest of the day. When I went back to tow it home later that night it fired right up and made it a couple hundred feet and as soon as it was warmed up (I think it always dies around 115 degrees) it died and wouldn't start. Eventually after waiting 5 minutes inbetween each time it died I was able to get it to road and onto the trailer. I tinkered with it a little bit and so far I have removed the entire fuel pump assembly from the tank to inspect and clean but didn't seem to find anything clogged or out of place (this was the problem with a similar problem that I am having that I read on another forum) I also replaced the fuel filter assembly with an OEM one. Drained all fuel and put fresh fuel in it. Compression tested 138 and 142 and also replaced spark plugs. Put it all back together and still had the same result. I just started it for the first time today since March and it fired right up 5 pulls and only stayed idling for about 2 mins then died and of course wouldn't restart. Anyone ever have this same problem or hear something like this? I'm not the best with testing/diagnosing electrical but if somebody was able to tell me what/how I should look for and how to test certain electrical components and that would be awesome. I don't know where to start or where to look so any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
First off when you start it up what does the charge indicator show on the MFD? It is on the right side of the display. Is it showing a full charge or only a bar or two. If that shows ok then I would move on next to the stator. If that is the stock stator in that bad boy then I would look at replacing it. After that double check the chasis relay that sits right next to your recoil housing on the motor. Let us know what you find in those areas. Oh and while you are in there don't be afraid to use a couple of zip ties to make sure your wiring harness stays out of the way of anything, specially around the jack shaft and oil reservoir. I had a DET sensor get worn through because it wanted to rub on the jack shaft. ZIP ties are your friends with this sled.

Premium Features