• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help 89 Indy

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yes, that is way too much clearance. Loosen the adjuster cables on the top of the carbs and start over. I'll try to find a write up I have for the adjustment procedure if you don't know how to adjust the cables. You need to have them synchronized so they start to lift at exactly the same time.

Last edited:

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
It might pay to take a air flow meter and check the air flow passing thru the carbs. this could be the root of your problem. Just an idea, a buddy of mine had about the same problem until i air flowed his carbs and found that the slides and jetting needed adjusting.

H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
Thats of good piece of info right there Pop, thanks again. Im going to try this Thurs night so will let everyone know Fri how it all went.

How do you do a airflow test Advantage801??

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Pull both idle screws right out, or at least MAKE SURE they are not touching the slides. Loosen the throttle cables till both slides COMPLETELY bottom out in the carb bodies. One at a time turn in the idle screws until you can just see them begin to lift the slides, you just want them touching. One at a time take the slack out of the cables until again you just see them starting to lift the slides, then tighten the jam nuts. Now pull the throttle wide open and stick your finger in each carb and feel that the slides are COMPLETELY lifted up out of the way of the bore, there shouldn't be any part of the slide still below the bores opening. Look at both slides at the same time ( You kinda go crosseyed to do it) gently open the throttle and make sure that both slides start to move at the same time, if they don't adjust the cables so they do. Either back off the side that starts to move first (lengthen it) or tighten up the one that moves last (so it starts to move sooner) Maybe take the belt off just to be safe and start up the sled, you'll have to hold the throttle a bit so it won't stall, turn each idle screw in the same amount until you get the idle rpm you want. This should give you about the right amout of throttle cable freeplay (for your tors) Turn it off and check again that the slides start to move at the same time, adjust if necessary, and you should be good to go. Clear as mud right? You'll figure it out, it's not hard to do. Good luck

H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
Well as you guys said, that was the problem. The throttles were at least a 1/4 open causing the high idle. Im thinking that everytime I unscrewed the top of the carb the cable must of tighted up because when I stored it all was running good, hence why I never though twice about the cables being too tight. Thanks for the advice everyone and I will post some pics once it is all cleaned up and ready for snow.:cheer2:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
That's a good looking sled you got there. Haven't seen plastic paddles for quite a while although they were definitely "in" back in the day.

H
Nov 26, 2007
kelowna
The carb boot 90's are just schd 40 pvc, honed out the one end a bit and fit like a glove. I dropped and rolled it so I could fit the 2" paddles, I also have the heat exchangers up inside the tunnel, hence all the heater lines running through out the engine compartment. This machine was something in its day, power to weight ratio and having that track out of the tunnel really made this thing work. I'm not sure what to do with it, sell it or start to play with it. I would like to pull the paddled 136 off and put on a 144 and do a suspension set back, making a real nice attack angle. Then reconfigure the steering post, lengthening and making it come up at a higher degree angle, giving it a rider forward affect.

Last edited:
Premium Features