• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris storm 800 stock except light weight front end kit and bar riser

S
Dec 16, 2010
alright I just bought a 95 polars storm 800 tripple it is completely stock except for leightweight front end and bar riser whats the most cost effective way to get this thing to haul! as it is a stomp RMK 800 twins in power just not in handling or the deep powder because of my 136" track compared to there 151" but thats a later project for now what do i need to do to get some power out of this thing I can't get it to turn more than about 8,000 RMM

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
storm

Storm is supposed to turn only 8500. I think I ran 10A weights with a almond spring. SLP blue/pink is about the same. I have some of those.
About all you can do is try to lighten it up. Stock pipes are real heayy and after market are hard to find. Stock chassis is heavy because you have lots of coolers on it. Porting will add 2 or 3 horse is all. I rolled the chain case on mine and put a 156x2 on it. That actually helped with the trenching. I also geared it down and clutched it so it would engage about 5000 rpm. Give me a call if you want some more help.

Gary

801-712-7188

S
Dec 16, 2010
alright did you have to go with smaller drive gears for the 2" track? if so what gears do you think i should go with? Have you ever heard of putting a RXL 650 CDI box on a storm? i've also heard I that you need to change the jetting but never heard what I need to change it to have any Idea? you said you had clutch springs around are you from the salt lake area and would you be interested in selling them and maybe helpin me out with some suggestions?

I
Nov 27, 2010
creston,wa
the cdi off an rxl will alow the storm to run up to 9500rpm the stock cdi will back off timing at about 8600 i have psi modblasters and run the motor at about 9200 and it pulls like a freight train

I
Nov 27, 2010
creston,wa
the stock pipes are not going to let you make any power anyway but spining it at 95 isnt going to hurt it beacause it is above were the triples had a bad harmonic imbalance but with the stock pipes you wont gain any power upstairs

I
Nov 27, 2010
creston,wa
well the pipes are still around but there hard to find some of the best pipes i have ran are the psi mod blasters but you probly wont find them anymore but ihave been around one storm that had aaon pipes on it and it almost ran better than the psi pipes they are great high rpm pipes and and way better to run at high elevaitions and you can still buy them new from aaon

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
the cdi off an rxl will alow the storm to run up to 9500rpm the stock cdi will back off timing at about 8600 i have psi modblasters and run the motor at about 9200 and it pulls like a freight train

Keep in mind though that this also makes the sled make less overall PEAK HP but run a much broader more consistent HP curve Unlike the stock Storm curve. which CDI you use really depends on what you want the sled to do.

Also these motors dont like 8600-9000 RPM's it through's of the harmonic balance off and if they are ridden there for an extended period of time then tend to let go.

Last edited:
S
Dec 16, 2010
well s would reall like to do more hill climbing and powder on my sled over all speed isn't at all what I want so I'm really considering gearing it down and I definatly want to get the clutches worked over my dad knows a really good guy that does clutches he did the ones on my dads sled and his polaris scrambler 400 four wheeler make a huge differance. I have also been told i need to change my jetting cuz my sled seems like it's balls to the wall or nothin for power has no mid power whatsoever but no one has said what to do for jets i run between 8 and 10,000 ft. above sea level if that helps and I'm running stock air box and pipes

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
local dyno charts for my storm and a stock storm of my buddies my storm with psi pipes and rxl cdi did 158hp@9200rpm and a stock storm did 143hp@8400rpm

I was talking stock pipes. As I thought the poster said he had to or wanted to use stock pipes? Your 100 percent correct with aftermarket pipes.

I
Nov 27, 2010
creston,wa
yes the stock triple pipes are fine ive just always ditched them for wieght reduction you can do what ever your pocket book alows im just sharing the knowledge i have about the storms

S
Dec 16, 2010
so i got my gearing question answered and if i'm undrstanding correctly the rxl cdi is only good with aftermarket pipes but what about the jetting?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
yes the stock triple pipes are fine ive just always ditched them for wieght reduction you can do what ever your pocket book alows im just sharing the knowledge i have about the storms

Im telling you that the stock triple pipes with the RXL CDI make's less power. With aftermarket it makes more.... Ive seen the dyno sheets to prove it. But the Origonal poster says he has stock pipes with the RXL cdi Im telling him what applies to his sled since he does not have aftermarket pipes.

I cant help you with jetting for that sled for your elevation. Im sure someone else will be able to.

S
Dec 16, 2010
Im telling you that the stock triple pipes with the RXL CDI make's less power. With aftermarket it makes more.... Ive seen the dyno sheets to prove it. But the Origonal poster says he has stock pipes with the RXL cdi Im telling him what applies to his sled since he does not have aftermarket pipes.

I cant help you with jetting for that sled for your elevation. Im sure someone else will be able to.
Hey thanks anyways man I hope some one can help me

R

Rrrrrrandyw

Dec 9, 2010
Ogden, Utah
I run a 96 Storm 800 motor in a custom Chassis with PSI pipes, and V-force reeds, and bored carbs. I run about the elevation you are wanting to be in, with that said, we are at 320's for jets. It is going to be hard for people to suggest jets for you because almost no one runs these sleds in stock configuration. If I had to guess though, I would say around 280 or 290's Strictly a guess, you will be able to tell by how it runs and by looking at the plugs. Chances are, it is probably jetted correctly unless you got from another area. You may just want to try resetting the slide needles, and fine tuning your carbs once you get on the mountain. These sleds are heavy, so anything you can do to lighten them up, they will respond well to. I may be parting mine out in the next month or so, If I do it will be after the Ogden races on the 29 of Jan. I love my storm, it has done a really good job for me, but I bought a turbo sled this year, and sadly it is worth more in parts than as a whole. I will let you know if and when I decide to part it. It has all of the light weight parts and long track as well, just remember on these storms, loss of weight equals horsepower. Good luck with it.

SANY1687.jpg

S
Dec 16, 2010
does anyone know where there is a 151 track I could buy big storm up here for like five days and i suddenly realized how critical that long track is seriosly considering stretching it! :face-icon-small-coo

R

Rrrrrrandyw

Dec 9, 2010
Ogden, Utah
You will not regret it. Kind of a big job, but well worth the effort. Mine had a 136 under it at the beginning of the season, and I put the 151 under it after riding it a few times. Could not believe the difference it made. I will know next week if I am going to part it out. I will let you know.

Premium Features