• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are your fuel lines in the tank??

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
I've been having some running issues with my D7 and do you think this could be the problem?? I found all the loose hoses laying in the bottom of the tank, along with the back fuel pickup. If you are having fuel issues I would definitely check the hoses out.

attachment.php

IMG_0638.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
back in the 80's we used to see fuel lines on cars do that, it was caused by oxengenated fuel that was required in the winter months....

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Ethanol maybe??

I thought it was premium gas, smelled like gas when I siphon it, not to mention it taste like gas. One would have to wonder if ethanol might have something to do with that. I'm not sure how much ethanol good ol California puts in their gas.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I thought it was premium gas, smelled like gas when I siphon it, not to mention it taste like gas. One would have to wonder if ethanol might have something to do with that. I'm not sure how much ethanol good ol California puts in their gas.

polaris designed the dragons/rmks to run on ethanol fuel...so I would think not..unless they are mixing in different additives then is normal(which is a real possibility), you might try calling the oil company who you buy fuel from...and inquire about their additives..explaining your situation....then find a fuel that doesnt contain those additives, or find fuel line that is compatible...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Wow... that is a new one for me....

The stock lines have a purple tint to them... these are completly deteriorated and yellow...

Any chance the lines were changed?

Any fuel additives being used? (Fuel treatment, octane boost etc)?

That is just plain crazy...

I believe that Stevens Urethane makes the hose for Polaris/Walbro... Maybe send them a sample and ask them what they think??

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
I get my gas from a bulk plant, but they also supply to a lot of local gas stations around the northern California area. I had this same issue with my 2000 700RMK, the fuel lines went bad around 7 years ago. They were of the same type of line and I replaced them with a good black fuel line, haven't had any trouble with them since. I'm going to check with these guys tomorrow and see what they have to say.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
The only additive that I have used is some deicer and that was just this year. The lines have not been changed. I hope that fuel pump didn't get damaged from this. Possibly getting junk in it.:face-icon-small-sad

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I get my gas from a bulk plant, but they also supply to a lot of local gas stations around the northern California area. I had this same issue with my 2000 700RMK, the fuel lines went bad around 7 years ago. They were of the same type of line and I replaced them with a good black fuel line, haven't had any trouble with them since. I'm going to check with these guys tomorrow and see what they have to say.

it will be an additive they are adding..(each fuel buyer (such as shell, chevron) will start with the same fuel, then have added whatever additives they spec(such as techron for chevron)I personally dont like rubber fuel hose in a tank, its very hard to find one that wont deteriorate the outer rubber sheath(it goes thru the fuel system and plugs filters/screens/even injectors), if you are going to go that route, find a goodyear hose dealer, and ask them what they would spec for the additives the fuel supplier uses(they have all sorts of different hoses available for just such reasons)...and let us know what they say...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thank you guys for all the info. It will definitely get me on the right track to getting this fixed.

make sure you change your fuel filter...and flush the tank just to be safe..would suck to burn down a motor next season due to it plugging from chunks of old line...

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
that is what my 03 polaris predator has for the vent lines for the carb.....they are chalked the same and falling apart the same but they are in air not fuel....

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
New pump??

I was also having fuel pressure problems after it ran for around 5 to 10 minutes. Let it sit for 15 to 20 it would run good then lose pressure again. Is it possibly that the pump may have been damaged from junk in the tank? I think I'm going to replace it as it is cheaper then a motor just to be on the safe side.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I'd send in the injectors to get cleaned and flow checked as well.. They could be gummed up. witch hunter performance in Washington does a great job and gives you a report on the results of the flow test as well.

A complete PFA (Pump Flange Assembly) is pretty pricey [about $220]... I doubt that the pump is damaged... but there is a good chance the pressure regulator is.

You can look for a good used unit... the 2005 900's have the same pump flange assembly/hose (polaris PN 2877695 ) as the 2007 Dragons... The 2006 755/900's will work if you change the Pressure regulator. (the 2006's ran 116 psi compared to the 58 psi of all the other CFi's.. but the pump is the same as the 2005/2007 CFi's... made by Airtex)

Good luck...let us know what you find out.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I'd send in the injectors to get cleaned and flow checked as well.. They could be gummed up. witch hunter performance in Washington does a great job and gives you a report on the results of the flow test as well.

A complete PFA (Pump Flange Assembly) is pretty pricey [about $220]... I doubt that the pump is damaged... but there is a good chance the pressure regulator is.

You can look for a good used unit... the 2005 900's have the same pump flange assembly/hose (polaris PN 2877695 ) as the 2007 Dragons... The 2006 755/900's will work if you change the Pressure regulator. (the 2006's ran 116 psi compared to the 58 psi of all the other CFi's.. but the pump is the same as the 2005/2007 CFi's... made by Airtex)

Good luck...let us know what you find out.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had heard that Tygon tubing was to be used in fuel tank applications. Check with a marine supply shop and see if they could help you out as well. Boaters are having the same issues with questionable fuel eating up lines and fiberglass tanks too.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
The only additive that I have used is some deicer and that was just this year. The lines have not been changed. I hope that fuel pump didn't get damaged from this. Possibly getting junk in it.:face-icon-small-sad

Never use deicer with Ethanol fuel-the deicer is alcohol and the Ethanol includes around 10% alcohol. I'd tend to agree with AK on the additive but don't rule out the ethanol. Even though the new parts are supposed to be resistant to alcohol there are still incidents of failure-carb boots, fuel lines etc. It's possible that some parts aren't in tolerance with the chemical mix. Ethanol is a blend and there are some incidents of blends that are over 10% alcohol. Human error is always a possibility with parts as well as fuel.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
It used to be you could pull up to the pump and look for a sign that would say 10% ethanol. Now you have to go out of your way to find a pump that says "non oxygenated for use in collector vehicles lawnmowers and motorcycles only". Or, something to that effect. :noidea:
From what a local fuel distributor told me is that you could already be pumping as much as 50% ethanol from some pumps. Despite what the experts proclaim the ethanol does separate from the gas. If the holding tank is low or sits for extended time separation can become a problem. :pout:
I've already seen it do some nasty things to carburetors and possibly some rubber parts in a matter of a couple of months. Is it capable of doing that to the fuel lines? I can't say for sure, but I would suspect it to be the cause. If your lines look like that, imagine what the inside of your fuel filter looks like. :tsk: The ethanol could easily gel the inside of the filter simply sitting over the summer. Drain it? Maybe. Sta-bil makes a product specific for ethanol too. Not sure what action should be taken.
As AK stated additives for cleaner burning fuels shouldn't be ruled out either. If they are corrosive enough to remove varnish and gum from injectors, valves and pistons, they could easily be strong enough to damage fuel lines.
It won't be long and we will all be buying race fuel just to keep our toys from self destructing.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
I do use Sta-bil in the spring when I put them away for the summer and on the carbed machine drain the gas from the carbs. What is odd is you can take the hoses and bend, pull and try to rip them in the middle from the ends that are bad and they are still very pliable. No cracks except where they came apart. As far as using deicer I did that just a month ago for the first time so I can't imagine the hoses failing in a that short of a time period. Talked to my Polaris dealer today, they haven't seen such a thing like that happening. I'm going to cut the fuel filter apart to see what is caught in it, hose chunks and whatever. You can still blow through it fairly easy. Is it possibly that the sta-bil may have caused this?

Premium Features