• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets see those wedges

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I don't ride with the people that have the "better than you" complex. I have fun for next to nothing, and don't make payments and usually keep up just fine w the new machines.

I have a funny story about this though. Six of us boondocked into our favorite play area and there was a pack of dragons and a couple 900 RMKs there. We all ride old stuff. The other group had rode the road in from the bottom. When we rolled onto the meadow, the lady riding the 900 blurts out,"I can't believe those old machines made it up here". I was thinking to myself, you just made yourself look really bad since you rode the road in here. If she had come in the the way we would have maybe she could have been talkin' smack, but geez, get real lady......I could have drove my pickup in the way she came in on her mighty 900 166 RMK.

Haha wow, For whatever reason people have this mentality that newer must equal better no matter what. New sleds are nice in some aspects but they arent that much better to justify the cost to me. I had a 2007 Dragon I bought brand new. What a piece of junk that thing was, it rode like a dream but fouled plugs had a terrible mid range burble and no power. Lets be honest my 2000 XC SP with a carls 660 in it would SMOKE the Dragon in every way. Needless to say Im glad I kept the older sled and got rid of that Dragon.

Alot of the guys that ride in my area ride Newer Cat M's, Rev's, XP's, Dragons ect. All stuff newer than 06. Everyone always laughs when I show up with my old iron 04 Mod sled. They all say "Trailing arms?!?!" wow this must be some kind of a joke. You should have kept the Dragon.

They promptly stop laughing when we start riding and they see what the sled can do. The best part is when we start climbing. My sled only weighs 420lbs on the elevator scale with about half a tank of gas in it. Its piped, ported and polished, with a blue printed crank makes real good power. The sled RIPS. No one can believe how high it will climb or how well it boondocks. After a while people always ask. Hey can I ride it? After they come back and get off they always have a smile on their face and look at the sled and say man thats works REALLY well, whats all done to that thing? I always say, not much its just a old junk sled with trailing arms. lol

Last edited:
P

PowderSwede

Jan 14, 2008
Started from -97 Ultra, put in the skid from a -04 ski-doo summit, 144'x2' challenger track, skis are RMK Gripper, raised seat and handlebars, mesh hood and it now has an xcr800 motor from -99 with htg pipes. Maybe not a beauty to look at but light and nimble, runs really well.

DSC00499.jpg

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
....I work hard for the junk I have, I have to take care of it so that I have something to ride next time I go out.

I'm in that same boat. We bought a couple of XLTs on tight budget, and after the first season I modded them on an extremely tight budget. I bought parts off ebay during summer months to get good deals, and then I sold the take-off parts at the beginning of the season to recoup a large part of the cost.

My wife fell off of hers the other day and I turned around just in time to see it take off into the woods by itself. My first thought (after I saw that she was ok) was 'oh crap, it's going to hit a tree and that's going to be it for the season'. I could hardly believe how lucky we got. It went about 30 yards into the woods without hitting a single tree. When I got to it, it was partially in a shallow tree well still running, and I was able to ride it out.

mods1.jpg

mods4.jpg

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Indy 5

This is my third year living in CO, and I finally have a sled. Spent the summer working on it back in MN where it seems everyone has a gen 1 they're willing to part with for next to nothing. Its a 95' 600 XCR chassis with a 136"x 1.75 track and 90' LC 500 motor. Its been working great, much better than I expected, so I can't even imagine how well all those wedges posted above do. For $600 total I think this thing is hard to beat.

editedsledpic.jpg editedsled3.jpg editedsled2.jpg

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
98 Indy RMK 700, 151x2 track. Love it! i broke the old tunnel in half this last weekend(don't ask). So i bought a 800 tunnel ill throw on this summer, heres a picture with the girlfriend riding it!

067.jpg

R
Jan 3, 2008
XC700

WOW! May I get your autograph - are you looking for a sponsor? Did you learn those moves from your old man?

xc700

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2010
midwest
rp7x

Hey aren't you that poser that always stands around acting like your the top dog, but when it actually comes to doing something your skirt always happens to get caught in the track, and you either get stuck or wimp out?:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Mar 13, 2009
Here's a shot of my 95 XCR 600. Just built the motor last week, narrowed the front end, upgraded the steering post, got it jetted and went logging on the first ride. Whoops a daisy. She'll be ready to go for spring ridin!

IMG_1247.jpg

This is my 98 xc 700 Mod , i bought it bone stock about 6 years ago and this is how it looked 2 years ago, twin jaws pipes, cheater head, ported and polished, clear hood, ported 151x2 track with the 136 skid still, drop and rolled c/c and plenty other things!!
DSC00999.jpg
Then i pulled it apart in oct 08 to replace the tunnel and didnt get it done until last weekend! I had a friend bend the tunnel for me and i installed it, WAY to much work... among the fifty other things i changed when it was apart also: front c-arms to ones from a 2000, trailing arms, cone filters, changed the muffler out for stingers, the skidframe i was told is for a 144 but looks to be for a 156-159 maybe?? it works!!! and lots of other little things...
DSC01941.jpgDSC01548.jpgDSC01930.jpgDSC01954.jpgDSC01919.jpg

DSC00999.jpg DSC01941.jpg DSC01548.jpg DSC01930.jpg DSC01954.jpg DSC01919.jpg

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
seat

440truc, what did you use for fabric on your seat? What type of foam did you use to add on to the height?

I like the sled, looks sharp.

440truc, what did you use for fabric on your seat? What type of foam did you use to add on to the height?

I like the sled, looks sharp.

Thanks, about the seat, i had an upholstery guy do it for me, i brought it to him and said to bring the seat level with the back part, he shaped it nicely too so its not to square on top. Not to sure what foam or material he used? the material is quite perforated looking and is also quite grippy!!! I like it!!!

1994 XLT580 SKS
engine stock, chassis modded with Xtra12 in front and Xtra10 in rear, new-to-me seat tank combo, pod filters, short 2" risers, new windshield, new plastics, spent all summer restoring old beat up sled to gleaming condition. have brand new set of plastic skis from 2010 IQ 600, haven't put them on yet.
runs great, 120psi/cylinder after almost 8000 miles. not too much down low off of the bottom but goes like a banshee after 5000rpm
580's have been great, reliable motors.

02_BACKGROUND.JPG 04.JPG 06.jpg 05.JPG

Last edited:
P
Dec 6, 2007
Beausejour, MB
My 98 XC700

Here's a pic of my 98 XC 700. The hood is off a 98 RMK. I'm in the process of fitting a Fusion tank and 2005 RMK seat. This is my first mock-up photo. I'll be working on it over the summer.

IMG_5674__Large_.jpg

Premium Features