• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best way to clean off belt dust from clutches?

P
Feb 22, 2009
ok so jsut waiting for parts to come and noticed the clutches on my 900 fusion are really ugly looking with belt dust...think a buddy tried to drive with brake on...ahh good times

anyways..jsut wodnering what the best way is to clean this stuff off with the clutches still on the sled

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
air hose... i try to do mine every ride but at least every other and it will keep the dust from ever settling/sticking

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
ok its stuck on bad......one might say burnt on....

use lots of hot water, dish soap and a fine scotchbrite pad or fine steel wool..scratch the entire surface of each sheive face witht he wool or scotchbrite pad...after washing blow dry with air hose..also wash/scrup your new belts as well(I run mine (clutches and belts)thru the dishwasher twice works great)

P
Feb 22, 2009
i have herd of guys using brake clean on the sheeves while still on the sled for a quick cleaning. what do you guys think of this?? or simple green??

cant take the primary off to clean it right now...dont ahve my puller...so just want to clean them while in place

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
i have herd of guys using brake clean on the sheeves while still on the sled for a quick cleaning. what do you guys think of this?? or simple green??

cant take the primary off to clean it right now...dont ahve my puller...so just want to clean them while in place

dont use brakekleen..the aluminum asorbs it in its pores and when heated from riding it comes out ..also it can swell the bushings if it gets on them...use soap and water in the sled and lay it on its side after cleaning to get the water out of the chassis...

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
DO NOT use anything abrasive.

Rubbing alcohol and a cloth is all you need to clean that. Keep up with it and its an easy chore. Don't even need to take the belt off if they're not bad.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I've used a fine scotch bright pad and soapy water for years and never had any issues with my clutch's.

DO NOT use brakeclean as stated above.................................

R
Jan 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
use solvent

If using a compresor and air chuck wont work, then use solvent. Let it sit in a solvent tank overnight, and then take it out in the morning and use a brush with the solvent, brush it all over really good. Let it air dry, slap it on and go.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
If using a compresor and air chuck wont work, then use solvent. Let it sit in a solvent tank overnight, and then take it out in the morning and use a brush with the solvent, brush it all over really good. Let it air dry, slap it on and go.

I would not put my clutches in solvent for any reason,solvent is petroleum based and will be asorbed into the pores of the aluminum..it will bleed out when the clutch heats up......

O
Dec 20, 2008
sicamous BC
thats funny about not cleanning with brake cleen. I just quit at a local shop that goes through 5 gallons of the stuff ever couple weeks. that is the only thing they use to clean clutches but it makes sence not to use it now! I guess they clean the clutches but sell more belts lol. not going to say any names since everyone like polaris dealers lol

J

JDen

Feb 9, 2009
Neilburg, Sk.
Good to know about not usin brakleen. I have been told by many locals around here that brakleen is the best way, but now it makes perfect sense as why to not use it

S
Jan 15, 2008
PNW
use scotch pads here. works out very well. just be smooth and gentle with it. let the pad do the work. also used a parts washer before too. solvent gets rid of alot of the grime.

O

octane

Dec 3, 2007
Great Falls, MT
I use a red scotch brite pad and blow them off with air. Tried the dishwasher once and won't do that again.The soap I used left a film on the clutches.

Premium Features