• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 EFI 600, fuel pump problems!

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
After ONE ride the fuel pump goes out after not even 500 miles on it. sled has been sitting for a year and is our back up but was taken out once last year. this year it has been taken out three times and has gone through two brand new fuel pumps (not even 150 miles total). In three years the sled has gone through three pumps. Cat doesnt warranty electronic pumps. Was told to add a couple drops of oil in the gas tank every other time it gets filled before a ride and was told by doing this the pump can last forever (probably an understatement, lol) Any others had this problem?

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
Did it stop working entirely or is it intermitant or is the fuel pressure just low?
I have one and the pump works but the pressure seems to be way low. Doesn't seem to want to pump above 30 psi.

Here's what arcticdan told me awhile ago:
How old of sled? I have had issues with pumps, have removed them from the tank and tapped them with a hammer and they have worked fine. Others have had the smart valves stuck, broke them loose and no more problems. I have had a couple of pumps go bad though. Before you do anything, put 12 volts on the pump, and listen to it -should have a strong, rather loud sound when the pump is running. you should also have a pressure guage on when doing this test. After doing the initial test tap on the pump itself and do it again to see if the presure changes. If it does ,could be a bad pump or semi stuck pump. Do the same thing with the smart valves. Hope this helps.

I have not pulled the pump yet to test it, but what the he!! are the smart valves? Guess I'm not very smart because I don't have a clue!

Sprocket

Premium Features