• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crankcase full of oil?? Bad oil pump?

M
Sep 11, 2016
2006 rmk 700cc. I bought this sled last week. Pulled the engine to check injectors and pressure wash everything, happen to noticenotice 2 stroke oil up to the reeds in the crankcase. Bad oil pump??

M
Sep 11, 2016
Yep all internal parts look great, no corrosion. Haha. The oil pump cable looks questionable. Going to replace with aftermarket from fatboyzfrenchy.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Most likely your center crank seals, it's a well documented problem with the 900s. Your 06 700 is essentially a 900 with a smaller top end. It's the only year they did that with the 700s. The center shaft in the motor is run in an oil bath and if the seals go bad, the oil can leak past into the 2 sides of the bottom end. It won't "hurt" anything other than leak oil until the level in the bottle gets below the upper hose bung and then it will stop. If the oil in the bottle stops dropping when it hits that level you have your confirmation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

C
Dec 10, 2018
Oil in crankcase of Polaris 2 cycle Liberty 500 XCSP

I have excessive 2 cycle oil in the crankcase of my 2005 Polaris XC SP 500 on flywheel side which is blocking the vacuum line that controls the fuel pump, thus no fuel is being pumped to the carbs. The sled ran fine last season and now has 8500 miles but has set in summer storage until now with a full tank of 2 cycle oil in the reservoir. The reservoir is now down about 20 ounces so this oil ended up in my crankcase over the summer. This motor has an oil line from the oil pump to the center crank bearing. While researching how this oil is getting in the crankcase, I found a thread reporting (for a different motor) that if the center seals begin leaking, that oil can drip into the crankcase. Is this also true for my 500 Liberty engine? Or is there another cause? What is necessary to fix this and, if I get the oil out of there, can I still run it as is?

Premium Features