• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's see what the "Wedge" is all about!

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
93' storm mod

Coming from an 03' summit Highmark Extreme that blew up on me...decided to breathe some life back into the 93' 750 storm (with SLP 900 kit). We are rebuilding the top end right now..had some overheating issues. But, I talked to a guy from SLP and this motor "should" be around 175hp... a 133 is WAY to small for 175hp...So I decided to slap my SC-10 summit suspension underneath the wedge and throw my 159X16 in there! What do you guys think? Am I throwing money into a lost cause? If everything works out this might be the ugliest thing that ever roamed the hills of Logan Canyon! I'll get some pics up tomorrow morning after we "try" installing the rear suspension haha

Last edited:
F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
too wide?

There should be room in the tunnel to run a wider track. There is more than half inch clearance on each side. :DIt will be tight, but I think it will fit. I would give it a shot and see if it will fit. Your only out time if it doesn't fit. I bet you could horse trade for a fifteen wide if you need to.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
alright so this is what i've got so far...I've measured the width of the skid on the storm and it is 1/4 inch less than the SC-10 suspension WITH both of the 1/4 inch spacers on each side...So I figure I'll keep the spacers in and maybe throw a washer on each side to stretch the tunnel out more for the track. The track fits fairly well...it barely slides past the heat exchangers that run along the bottom of the running boards and has a lot more room once past those...the track will never be at that level so there isn't an issue there. I thought we were going to get the skid mounted today but instead I pulled everything apart and picked up a set of 8 tooth drivers. Tomorrow is the day of reckoning, we will see if my project flies or dies. Just a sidenote this is a project 2 of my friends and I are trying to get to work on our christmas break from college. Figured it was a good way to spend the holidays without going crazy being with the family for a month! haha It's just one of those "what if" projects :)

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Go wedge!

Git'r-done!:)

great way to spend the holidays. Just measure tvice!!! to drill once. Hope you did your measuring and math on that skid.

Sounds like a fun thing and that storm will run when setup right!
Wish you luck.

RS

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
good project!

Big thing you will need to stretch the steering post and get the bars up a bit! I put an extra 10 and a 141 on an old indy 650 I had. It was fine but the bars were way too low!

T
should run great we put together a storm also with a 162 and a holz suspension with pipes and reeds port and polish you will have to watch the overheating thing to ours does the same its pushing around 200 horse good luck it will run great when your all finished ours isnt the most beautiful thing on the hill but it runs awesome will post pics

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Let's see those pics man! When this is all said and done it will have a 159 x 16 on a skidoo sc-10 suspension, 900 slp motor with pipes, v force reeds, uni filters, slp ported and polished it, and skidoo handlebars/extension, upgraded front suspension and skidoo skis! Should look Hella goofy! Haha. I didn't have to change any allignment on the drivers but I guess we will see what happens.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Alright after throwing in around 120+ hours myself, around another 120 with my 2 buddies combined she is finally done...Next it's time to see how she climbs once the motor is broken in! Tell me what yall think...gotta love that tunnel extension :) haha

Attachments

• DSC00839.jpg
    DSC00839.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00843.jpg
    DSC00843.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC00844.jpg
    DSC00844.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00842.jpg
    DSC00842.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Donor Sled.jpg
    Donor Sled.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 176

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
took her out for a spin tonight to start breaking in the motor...have a couple of questions: seems like it's geared way to high. to my knowledge the sprockets are the stock size, i don't remember what the top sprocket was but the bottom is a 37 tooth...I'm around 250 and we are pulling a 159X16 track, dropped from a 9tooth to an 8 tooth...what should I be looking at as far as sprocket sizes? also what rpm range should I be looking at? Looked like I was around 7200 rpm's too low? guessing these 2 issues might go hand in hand...thanks in advance

U
Nov 26, 2007
Michigan
stock gearing on a storm is pretty high I would think. I run a 900 ultra based triple with a 162" track on 7 tooth drivers (3" pitch) with 20/40 gearing. Your 8 tooth drivers are slightly smaller, so you might get away with a little higher, but stock will be too high.
Your rpms will depend on what pipes you are using, but I would think 8500 RPM would get you close to where you want to be.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
im running SLP triple pipes with a "glasspack" type design can...my peak rpm as of right now is 7200 rpm...so by process of elimination im gonna adjust my gearing first and see what happens to the rpm's...20/40 a good place to start any other ideas? what is the best setup I can get with gearing without having to replace the chain?

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
hmmm

lookin' at it now, why didn't you just throw the Storm engine into the ski-don't chassis? (not a good question for many reasons, don't like ski-don'ts and etc.)

the ski-don't looks fairly clean......

I like the storm, may the triple gods be with you......

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Well looking back that would have been easier, better, and logical but...when we started the whole project we didn't know if we would be able to get the motor to run and had 2 weeks to tinker while we waited for the head gaskets from SLP to show up! As far as putting the motor in the summit, when the engine blew I put all the parts (mount, cooling system, wiring harness, close to everything, in a tupper ware container stored in my storage unit...came back 2 weeks later and someone clipped my lock and stole the container, left the sled/gas/tools, but stole the container full of aluminum. Good thing I had my dirt bike in the back of my truck for those 2 weeks!

Premium Features