For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: IQ 2005-Current, all models in the IQ and IQ Raw chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Currently: Turbo just came in the mail, can't wait to get it running!
rjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant future
Default How do you install ball joint on lower A-arm?

I need to replace my left upper and lower a arm on my 08 rmk and I am finding a bunch of A-arms without the ball joint pressed into the lower A-arm. I was wondering how you are supposed to go about putting the ball joint into the A-arm if you were to do it this way. I know the OEM A-arms have the ball joint pre installed. Is there some sort of trick to installing them yourself or do you have to have them pressed on somewhere?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Currently: Not set.
modsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond repute

There is a "C" clip style snap ring, and the ball joint is more of a pressure fit...it's not pressed.

I used a large, deepwell socket to tap it out...came out pretty easy, and reinstalled easy also.

Take your time, and make sure to use a socket that is the correct size to fit through the a-arm hole, but large enough to contact the outer rim of the ball joint.

hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to modsledr For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Currently: ahhh back to work
Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
slash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

If its the same as an 06 ,900 the bjoint is held in with a snap ring from the bottom.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Currently: Loving the new Silber external wastegate turbo!
Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,214 Posts
skibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond reputeskibreeze has a reputation beyond repute

If you are trying to get a ball joint out of a bent A arm, you might need a press. I know that I did last week when I put one in my spare arm.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Basic Member
sevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond reputesevenhundo has a reputation beyond repute

you can use a bench vise to get them in and out just be careful you use the right sockets one just big enough to catch the small lip to push out and one big enough for it to go into. And visa versa to install

Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Currently: Riding Dont Bother Me!
RockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond reputeRockinMntKing has a reputation beyond repute

did one the other day on a 08 with 1400 mi on it and i had to press it out no way could i tape it out it was in there SOLID with rust and corrosion. but every one is different im sure

Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Currently: Turbo just came in the mail, can't wait to get it running!
rjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant futurerjkoll has a brilliant future

okay I will probably order an a arm here soon so I will let you know if I have any more questions when it gets here. thanks for the help everyone

Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
modsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond reputemodsledr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinMntKing View Post
did one the other day on a 08 with 1400 mi on it and i had to press it out no way could i tape it out it was in there SOLID with rust and corrosion. but every one is different im sure
this is a good point about the condition of the ball joint and a-arm. if it is in bad shape, you might need a press.

A little heat with a propane torch applied ONLY to the ouside of the a-arm around the ball joint will help also (this will expand the a-arm opening and make it easier to remove the ball joint).

Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Currently: Winter is upon us, and the parts list is getting bigger...
stem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond reputestem has a reputation beyond repute

I changed both lower A-arms on my 07-D7RMK this Monday and I used a bench wise and tapped the ball joint out of the old arms with a hammer, and a 22mm socket to get them back.
Used one and a half hour from I drove into the garage to change both sides till I drove out again

Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 AM
canj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond reputecanj has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Currently: working
SLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond reputeSLDHVN has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register