• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team Tied

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
Anybody running the Team Tied secondary in their mountain sleds? What do you think of it? pros and cons? Worth it?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Meh, ,ive went back and forth a lot on them, got a like new one in the box with helix for the axys if you are looking for one. Pm for a price on it

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Same here (mehhh). I ran one on my 2011 Pro and didn't really notice performance improvements. Supposedly it runs cooler but that is hard to measure with another sled in comparison. It does shift smoother with no back "clunk". I traded mine out for a track.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I have a tied on my 16 axys with a slp stage 3 and it works really good once you get it figured out. It will shift out faster, back shift faster and belt temps are cooler, rpm's are also more consistent.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a tied on my 16 axys with a slp stage 3 and it works really good once you get it figured out. It will shift out faster, back shift faster and belt temps are cooler, rpm's are also more consistent.

How do you know if the belt temps are cooler than the TSS-04? Unless you have two sleds with each secondary riding around doing the exact same things I'd think it would be hard to determine. Maybe just a feel for what you have been in the past?

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I can tell that they were cooler from years of clutching polaris sleds and constantly checking my clutches, trying may different combinations. The clutch faces are cleaner, I can feel it with my hand, see it with my eyes, feel it on the hill and see it with the increase in track that I could never get with my 04 team. I am definintely putting more horsepower to ground and doing it more efficiently. I can safely say that I was putting 3 more mph to the track consistantly, I can also say more at times.

16 axys 800 TIED secondary
slp stage 3
2.42 overall gearing with 162 camso 3p
8000 to 9000 ft 8400 in the powder climbing
above 9000 I can remove a set screw to pull same rpm
slp magnum force weights with 1 set screw and one lock screw
slp blue pink primary
70-57.46 helix with black/purple secondary
gates carbon belt

This setup works for me, I'm also very impressed with the slp magnum weights in this setup.

I have a friend in Montana that is running everything basically the same as me but he rides from 5000 to 8000 ft and runs a a 73-59.46 helix with the rest of the clutching the same as my and he was shocked at how well it worked.

11 pro rmk stock with slp can and TIED secondary
2.27 gearing 2.4 x 163
8000 to 9000 ft
10-60 weigths
stock primary spring
71-55.46 helix
black/purple secondary spring

This is the setup that worked, it worked really well in my pro and I had the same results as I did with my axys. It didn't work in my 14 pro with that helix though, the gearing was just to low, I either needed to shorten the duration or go to a shallower finish angle or gear it lower.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Even if you ask Team they won't commit to the Tied actually being any better. The tied puts twice the load into the belt vs the TSS-04.

Long story short they will work about identical so whichever one you already have is the best.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The Team Tied definitely has its own set of consequences.

Tied Computer programs along with the thought processes regarding helix angles and accompanying spring rates do not, in reality, compare to the TSS-04.
Testing this summer, I have found small intricacies throughout the shift pattern that aren’t present or noticeable with the TSS 04.
What I have experienced this summer is very interesting to say the least. Helix angles have been more in line with TSS-04 angles. Spring rates have not. The Tied has a tendacy to build massive heat with posted or recommended helix angles/spring rates. I believe the reason behind the heat issue is two fold. 1: the ease of shift 2: to compensate for ease of shift massive angles and springs are used.

Findings have been very intriging to say the least. Flyweight profile and tuck under(plus or minus) has seemingly more affect than any other component.
During testing I found, what I consider, a monumental decrease in belt temps along with an increase in ground speed by changing one component that many would regard as having little to no affect.

Granted my test vehicle is not a sled but utilizes a CVT, a RZR1000. It is fitted with a PRO 800 primary along with a Team Tied. The setup was purchased from Boondocker.
My test track consists of a very diverse 1.75mi loop. It comprises of natural terrain encompassing fairly long vertical climbs along with blind jumps and banking.

After settling in on the best setup. The decision to test profiles was in order. Belt temps were recorded using an infrared gun. I tested 3 different profiles. Temps ranged from 163* to 97*. The 97* profile picked up an additional 3 mph ground speed on vertical climbs. The primary belt to sheave was adjusted for each profile to .030”. RPM was consistent for each test. Each profile utilized a differing gram total to obtain consistent RPM. But in reality not a substantial change. 49.6 to 51.5g.

There is definitely more left on the table to be found and explored. I have played with the Tied in the past, as I have previously posted. I wasn’t willing to make the financial investment needed to pursue Tieds possibilities. Lately there has been an offer to pursue refining a Tied setup. I will take on that challenge.

The TSS 04 has been the staple for Polaris sleds. Getting the public to purchase another secondary I thought fruitless. If the Tied can efficiently and effectively get more power to the ground it will be worth the investment.
Track length and lug height may also come into play regarding the Tied.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I tried 3 different “tried and true” clutch “kits” with the tied.
None of them outperformed the tss04 with an indifferently tuned setup.

Every single setup had higher heat.
Not one of them allowed a belt to last more than 125 miles. (Riding the piss out of it)

Sold it for peanuts and put a tss04 back on and belt life jumped to 350 ish miles of abuse before replacing due to wear. (No blown belts just strings pulling)
#norestforthesled

(Yes I checked all the other belt blowing variables before testing and none of them was replaced/ changed between the tests)
Primary clutch health, alignment, motor mounts etc.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Tied schmide.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

R
Feb 18, 2008
Helena, MT
The TIED works so much better than the stock TSS04 on my Axys. I'm running a stage 3 SLP kit on mine. It's a night and day difference between the clutches. That's the last thing I changed and it made it the sled I thought I had purchased. It went from being beat by a 600 to knocking on the back door of a Sidewinder and a King Cat.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
The Team Tied definitely has its own set of consequences.

Tied Computer programs along with the thought processes regarding helix angles and accompanying spring rates do not, in reality, compare to the TSS-04.
Testing this summer, I have found small intricacies throughout the shift pattern that aren’t present or noticeable with the TSS 04.
What I have experienced this summer is very interesting to say the least. Helix angles have been more in line with TSS-04 angles. Spring rates have not. The Tied has a tendacy to build massive heat with posted or recommended helix angles/spring rates. I believe the reason behind the heat issue is two fold. 1: the ease of shift 2: to compensate for ease of shift massive angles and springs are used.

Findings have been very intriging to say the least. Flyweight profile and tuck under(plus or minus) has seemingly more affect than any other component.
During testing I found, what I consider, a monumental decrease in belt temps along with an increase in ground speed by changing one component that many would regard as having little to no affect.

Granted my test vehicle is not a sled but utilizes a CVT, a RZR1000. It is fitted with a PRO 800 primary along with a Team Tied. The setup was purchased from Boondocker.
My test track consists of a very diverse 1.75mi loop. It comprises of natural terrain encompassing fairly long vertical climbs along with blind jumps and banking.

After settling in on the best setup. The decision to test profiles was in order. Belt temps were recorded using an infrared gun. I tested 3 different profiles. Temps ranged from 163* to 97*. The 97* profile picked up an additional 3 mph ground speed on vertical climbs. The primary belt to sheave was adjusted for each profile to .030”. RPM was consistent for each test. Each profile utilized a differing gram total to obtain consistent RPM. But in reality not a substantial change. 49.6 to 51.5g.

There is definitely more left on the table to be found and explored. I have played with the Tied in the past, as I have previously posted. I wasn’t willing to make the financial investment needed to pursue Tieds possibilities. Lately there has been an offer to pursue refining a Tied setup. I will take on that challenge.

The TSS 04 has been the staple for Polaris sleds. Getting the public to purchase another secondary I thought fruitless. If the Tied can efficiently and effectively get more power to the ground it will be worth the investment.
Track length and lug height may also come into play regarding the Tied.

When I started with my tied the recommended setups did not work, not even close! I started running less angle with a heavier spring, I picked up track speed, clutches were way cooler, and backshift was incredible. I have thought about taking more angle out, lengthening the duration and going with lighter springs but my clutches are so cool now I'm not sure if I should throw more money at it. Most of the recommended setups are about 3 to 4 degrees to steep, I also feel like these SLP Magnum series weights are more aggressive and help shift out, my primary clutch faces are very clean throughout, there really are no witness marks.

P
Jan 22, 2013
leduc, alberta
Tied angles

Agree, polaris has been reducing their angles over the years......64-42, 58-42, 46-42, now the 2019's are straight 42. The reduction of belt side pressure with the team is not necessarily made up for by the spring pressure. when you plot the side pressure on their chart, it is easy to see the low side force from engagement to .46.
With the tied, same thing.......straight 60-63.

Premium Features