• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

telescopic steering post

T
Jan 24, 2018
Wisconsin
looking at a new sled and it has the telescopic steering post. I know this hasnt been a fan for many riders. I have found two solutions for this, one is a part where you cut your existing post and mount a T style bracket to it to where you can then mount a fixed riser. the other option to replace the entire steering post to the fixed unit. Im asking if anyone has tried the first option, and how it held up. its cheaper and less time installing. i dont have much experience with taking the whole sled apart (which is needed to change the entire post out) and dont really want to pay a shop to do it if i dont have too. any advise or experience with these options is appreciated. thanks!

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Taking the sled apart is not as big of a deal as you think. If you buy the fixed post, the directions and steps are pretty straight forward. If it's your first time it might take you an hour, and it would be good practice.

Storskogen

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2014
Sweden
I think the reason why people don't like the adjustable post is that it has to much play and that problem will still be there if you cut it shorter. I use Canada Sledparts bushings, they have less play but when you raise it it the play gets worse. Im always riding with it in the lowest setting (Im 190cm tall). If you ride with it high you might also bend the adjustable post.

M800 -13, Speedwerx full exhaust, PCV. BC WT 660T -06

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I removed it and installed the zbroz T and new bushings.
I did like the adjustability so I bought the Rox adjustable riser and while I was at it, I installed cfr bars. Very much improved. The feel is so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Don't replace it before you ride it just because you've read that people don't like it. Some people enjoy the adjustable post, I'd ride it first and see how you like it.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My biggest complaint with the adjustable post is, how far back the bars are.
Tilt the fixed bar riser forward till it is at 90° to the floor, and the bars are 2.5" forward.
That 2.5" is a huge improvement in riding stance, especially down a whooped trail!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I wouldn't want to go over the bars with that post extended. set how summ8rmk describes, the riser will pivot forward fairly easily if you have an unfortunate.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm with Vern on this one. I have had the adjustable bars on my 09 M8 (the first year for adjustable bars) and I have them on my 2015 M800 (the last year of adjustable bars) and I have to say I like them.

I ride with them either all the way up or one click down from the top and have for 10 seasons on both sleds with no issues. I do have the AMP bar riser that moves the bars up an inch and an inch and half forward I believe. I ride off trail almost exclusively as well.

So, give the bars a try. I don't think there are that many issues with them unless you jump a lot or really get after it WAY more than a normal guy.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I wouldn't want to go over the bars with that post extended. set how summ8rmk describes, the riser will pivot forward fairly easily if you have an unfortunate.
Thanks,
I forgot about this. This is also a very important.
I replaced handle bars on my 14 because of a gentle roll over. The pivot riser will allow the bars to roll forward instead of folding/ bending.

Also, i never move my adjustable riser.
And on my 09, 14, and second 14.
On super cold days with snow falling, i have had the lock let loose and bars fully extend (ride in second to lowest setting) while bouncing up a steep climb and almost crash because of it.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Thanks,
I forgot about this. This is also a very important.
I replaced handle bars on my 14 because of a gentle roll over. The pivot riser will allow the bars to roll forward instead of folding/ bending.

Also, i never move my adjustable riser.
And on my 09, 14, and second 14.
On super cold days with snow falling, i have had the lock let loose and bars fully extend (ride in second to lowest setting) while bouncing up a steep climb and almost crash because of it.

I’ve had the same thing happen to me a couple times which is why I switched the cat adjustable for the rox adjustable.
I went from lowest setting when I hit the throttle to the highest setting in 1/2 second-and off the back I went. Funny yes, but left me a little throttle shy afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Telescopic is what I have...lots of play. Best option is find a used solid post or go new and upgrade. Risers and offsets for preference. No issue here on tele post, but is vague and lose.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
My telescopic steering post experience attached in the pics.... Never again lol.
Never really cared for the adjustability and the play was annoying, I bought a solid chromoly post from canadasledparts and called it good.

NyoBGMN.png

ik37XF8.png

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That was common on the Mseries, i Haven't heard of that on the proclimb.
What yr M?

I had to duct tape and hose clamp my post together to ride up out of a fogged in bowl.... riding through the trees was fun, lots of getting off sled and turning skis by hand. Luckily snow wasn't to deep.
On the trail, skis just followed others tracks, only had to get off twice in 10 miles to turn the skis. Kept it to 20mph in case skis decided to not follow the trail.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
It was an '09, thing was bullet proof and I loved it but the steering post was an achilles heel for sure. I got a solid post and cfr's on my new-to-me proclimb, pretty excited to try them out in a few months

Premium Features