• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 new vents and clutching

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
c2c2d1d65aa59930b1e67d29cde3f88e.jpg

fab02f018145fbcf13849086af20bea8.jpg

fbaa7e45121feb5bc951c1df0944ada1.jpg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Very nice to see that they are taking the belt issue seriously. My only concern would be if the plastics deform much when laying the machine on its side and if things got chewed up much from the clutches. I know, I know, rubber side down but that doesn't always happen.:face-icon-small-blu

I expect that BRP will have these sleds dialed this season.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
What are the clutch calibration ( primary and secondary) for 2019?

D
May 24, 2012
Better Belt Cooling for All Sleds

Very nice to see that they are taking the belt issue seriously. My only concern would be if the plastics deform much when laying the machine on its side and if things got chewed up much from the clutches. I know, I know, rubber side down but that doesn't always happen.:face-icon-small-blu

I expect that BRP will have these sleds dialed this season.

That's a good question! I won't pretend to have the answer, but I know it wasn't much of a problem for the REV and RT having the same concept for the air intake. The thing with the air intake is that it was critical for the engine which made it a poor design. But for air intake of the clutches that doesn't need extraordinary filtration, I think it is brilliant!

I don't believe and I certainly hope they didn't have this patented, because I firmly believe/hope to eventually see this standard on all sleds. In my opinion there is no good reason to have any hot belts on any sled of any manufacture. The idea that we need to remove all foam or cut panels to getting belt cooling just doesn't make sense to me, at least no in 2018.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That's a good question! I won't pretend to have the answer, but I know it wasn't much of a problem for the REV and RT having the same concept for the air intake. The thing with the air intake is that it was critical for the engine which made it a poor design. But for air intake of the clutches that doesn't need extraordinary filtration, I think it is brilliant!

I don't believe and I certainly hope they didn't have this patented, because I firmly believe/hope to eventually see this standard on all sleds. In my opinion there is no good reason to have any hot belts on any sled of any manufacture. The idea that we need to remove all foam or cut panels to getting belt cooling just doesn't make sense to me, at least no in 2018.

Its ok if they patent This special ventilation as it is not required on all sleds.
Finally, cat has figured out how to properly clutch a sled.
I hear good belt life from 16-17s and i know 18s will easily get 1,000miles of hard mountain riding.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Its ok if they patent This special ventilation as it is not required on all sleds.
Finally, cat has figured out how to properly clutch a sled.
I hear good belt life from 16-17s and i know 18s will easily get 1,000miles of hard mountain riding.

yep, their solution was let somebody else handle the clutches. good move. like when polaris quit making their own handle bars or whatever you call those things they used to give us.

nice additional bandaid there :face-icon-small-win

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
We'll see. The new panel and secondary cover is a nice piece for some enterprising tinker'er to mount an electric fan to pull air up and out of the panel, too. BRP comes up with their share of new ideas, some of them actually work, maybe this will be another.

On a different track, I don't think it's a coincidence that AC figured out they needed clutching help after working side-by-side with Y, and learning more about how not to blow belts on high hp, high torque motors.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
We'll see. The new panel and secondary cover is a nice piece for some enterprising tinker'er to mount an electric fan to pull air up and out of the panel, too. BRP comes up with their share of new ideas, some of them actually work, maybe this will be another.

On a different track, I don't think it's a coincidence that AC figured out they needed clutching help after working side-by-side with Y, and learning more about how not to blow belts on high hp, high torque motors.

With the design of the cover and clutch sheave fins the air is flowed out the foot well and drawn in the vent. So maybe force more air in through the vent and keep the foot well clear of snow, if that is possible

D
May 24, 2012
With the design of the cover and clutch sheave fins the air is flowed out the foot well and drawn in the vent. So maybe force more air in through the vent and keep the foot well clear of snow, if that is possible

The air intake is by far the best I have ever seen and hopefully the best thing we have seen with sleds since the ETEC. But I don't understand the exit strategy. Check the Ski-Doo U: Tips for Technical Mountain Riding. The left footwell is completely blocked. I'm guessing that we need a beginning to eventually see the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bYmbUyFuhk&t=1m30s

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If the 'vent ' doesn't create enough heat or enough air movement, u will end up with a giant ice formation there......

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If the 'vent ' doesn't create enough heat or enough air movement, u will end up with a giant ice formation there......

I'd bet it ice anyway to some degree unless you can heat the channel and have a drain port on the bottom.

IMHO a little venting experience with a 05-06 era 866cc engine.

Im gonna add velour vents on the top and a regular screen type across the side/bottom.

Gonna do similar on the exhaust side.

Plus drilled holes on the plastic belt cover.

Too bad we cant float the secondary BUT I read on here someone cut the channel on the shaft for secondary float?

Premium Features