• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*POLL* Do you wear protective vest ?

Do you wear a vest?

• Total voters

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Rode for ten years without one, until I hit a stabalizing cable on a night ride, never saw it coming, cracked ribs. Now I feel naked without one, kind of like not wearing a helmet, got to have both on or I just won't ride. Vest and helmet also works for protection if you ever decide to dress like a Zombie and let the kids shoot at you with paintball guns on halloween! What was I thinking! :face-icon-small-ton :yield:

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
TecVest

Two years ago we lost a experienced rider who went off of a trail on the way to the high Country. He was thrown into a tree chest first, tearing an artery away from his heart, my friends and I performed CPR for over an hour. After that ride I got a TecVest and haven't ridden without it since. I have had several "Mountain Scorpions" since then and have not suffered any serious injuries. Just my 2 cents......

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Got this one for this year.

Before I rode with a vest... looking forward to this... fit and function seem great so far!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hJFkuqrVhIA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Absolutely a must wear piece of safety gear!

Been wearing a TeKVest since my friend Carl Stuthers died from blunt force trauma incurred during a head-on collision near his cabin.

Whether trail riding, boondocking, mountain riding or just playing around we are all subject to the laws of physics and a sudden stop/impact to a solid object regardless of the cause will result in injury. Wearing a vest spreads the energy of the impact over a much greater area of the body giving a higher chance of avoiding injury.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
D

Duvall Dean

Nov 8, 2003
Wenatchee, Wa.
Two years ago we lost a experienced rider who went off of a trail on the way to the high Country. He was thrown into a tree chest first, tearing an artery away from his heart, my friends and I performed CPR for over an hour. After that ride I got a TecVest and haven't ridden without it since. I have had several "Mountain Scorpions" since then and have not suffered any serious injuries. Just my 2 cents......

Sorry to hear
It seems we lose good peeps every year in our sport
An avvy took a friend of mine years back and we miss him so much
The community is still helping his widow and kids

I'd like to see the poll numbers higher on the do than don't side of this thread
Cherish every day people !!!!
DD

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I could only vote once, but both my wife and i wear Tekrider Tekvests. Hers is the klim branded version of the Tekvest Freestyle and she prefers wearing it outside her jacket. Mine it the Tekrider Tekvest Crossover. I like the extra length (it's geared for riders who stand more than sit), extra venting and it doesn't have back protection for when wearing a pack. Depending on weather, various layers are worn under or over the vest and then a shell over all of it.

We use them every ride. We wear full armor (Acerbis koarta and cosmo) for dual sport and atv riding as well. Most dualsport and dirtbike riders are good about armour, but it is always amazing how few recreational atv riders wear a helmet much less other armor...then my wife gets to see them or hear the stories since she works at the hospital.

Last edited:

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Rode with a Klim tek vest the last few years. Upgraded to the bca float vest this year. Super comfortable.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
I've been riding with a Klim tekvest for years, feel naked without it.Picked up a 509 tekvest version for the wife this fall at the Denver Snowshow.

Almost lost a friend years ago or so when he hit a sinkhole/spring at Rabbit Ears Co. at speed.Ruptured spleen,broken ribs,jaw,teeth etc(yes he was wearing a helmet). If people had not witnessed it and dialed 911 for ambulance and gotten him back to lot he would have died from internal bleeding.The skill of ambulance crew and Steamboat Springs Hospital crew saved his life.He has returned to riding but now wears a Tekvest.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Don't wear one, might try a Nike pro combat padded compression shirt and shorts (football) for a little more protection.

D
Mar 19, 2015
U.P. of MI
Can you guys recommend any value priced vests?
Im new to sledding, but know the value of wearing gear, as Im a motorcyclist, and own a small custom motorcycle leathers company. But money is tight too...

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Drummerdave, lots of folks wear some of the dirtbike type armor commonly called "pressure suits" in the winter under a waterproof shell. These are more than "scatter sheilds" or "roost gaurds"; they are full on certified armor. Thor, Acerbis (ah-chair-bees which is Italian), and many others make them. All have good chest and spine protection. Most also have shoulder and elbow armor. Some you can remove the shoulder and elbow and just wear the chest/back armor (like the Acerbis Cosmo). Acerbis also has the Koerta which is a long sleeved that does not come apart like the Cosmo. They used to have a short sleeved version of the koerta but no longer make it (but see my next paragraph below..). My wife and I have tekrider tekvests for the winter, but in the summer, I wear the Acerbis Cosmo and she the Acerbis Koerta. I have an extra Koerta that I keep around to borrow out as well. Any of these, or other brands, would make a economical armor setup. You can also find these used and find tekvests used so watch for those on your local craigslist, on this forum, ebay, etc.

Shameless plug, I have a short sleeved Acerbis Koerta new in the bag that I'm going to list for sale. Just need to find the time to see what they are going for nowadays before I list it. They used to be over $100 but I think they are going for a fair bit less even brand new. These have the chest and back armor only and not shoulder or elbow armor and fit under shells well. As far as our other three Acerbis sets, we'll continue to use them for summer as we have for 5 or 6 years now. We love them.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I have one, but never wear it. I overheat in it, and makes one feel way too bulky. Maybe need to try a different one. I got an F-bomb, just to thick.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I don't but probably should . Only time I've ever Been hurt it wouldn't have helped . You never know what can happen never a bad idea to protect your core.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I have one, but never wear it. I overheat in it, and makes one feel way too bulky. Maybe need to try a different one. I got an F-bomb, just to thick.

Just out of curiosity, what do you where under your tekvest? All I wear is a short sleeve heat gear shirt (under armor) and a jersey, then the tekvest and a Klim shell. That's it or I overheat too!!

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
Interesting the passion in this thread vs the one about if you wear Avy gear or not.

Just an observation. Continue to discuss

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Just out of curiosity, what do you where under your tekvest? All I wear is a short sleeve heat gear shirt (under armor) and a jersey, then the tekvest and a Klim shell. That's it or I overheat too!!

All I wear is a thin long underwear, and my Klim shell. But I do sweat easy, and if you are familiar with F- bomb tekvest you can see an overheating issue with it.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
I haven't for years, but after I smoked the bars in the flat light yesterday, I will be getting one. I'm too old for this kind of pain. BTW.. I did have all my avy gear on ;)

Premium Features