• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trouble with turbos

Mar 31, 2014
I was interesting in buying a turbo for my 800 etec and i have herd it takes the cranks out has anyone else had any troubles because i don't want to waste my money if so! how long would you keep the sled you turbo for 2 years? how reliable are the engines turboed?

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
If tuned properly they aren't any harder on the crank or any engine components more than stock. Clutches and gear cases and drivers sure. Nothing to worry about if tuned properly. They just need slight attention to detail when looking them over for anything that could become an issue later. The secret is a good tune.

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
If your tool box consists of a pen and checkbook then a turbo is not for you.
With a turbo your sled will require a LOT of preventative maintenance. As in at least 2 hrs every second ride. You need to have an eye for potential problems in the making.
Things such as clutch alignment and wear, exhaust springs, engine mounts, boost leaks, exhaust leaks, engine tuning and clutch tuning as every one rides different and at different elevations.
Sled repair is not rocket science so don't let it scare you.
If someone tells you their turbo is pull and go, they are full of corn. Really full of it and they dont know squat about wrenching.
If you have a lot of time, a good set of tools and are willing to wrench yourself, go for it. There is a lot of info on the internet and people are willing to help you work thru some problems.
If your gonna bring your turbo sled to your dealer to fix every little thing, that will get old really quick, not to mention super expensive super quick.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have run aerocharger before yes. I don't run a skidoo. I have another brand.
I had zero luck with aero.
I don't believe they have the fueling issue worked out. Do a thorough google search/read forums about aerocharger and you will get the drift as to the issues with aero. Search cars, trucks, rzr's and snowmobiles.
Top secret shop sets up skidoos and they are in Canada. I havent rode with any of their sleds but I have heard they rip. I believe they have the fueling figured out. They run a boost it fuel system.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Miku is your best choice in ca. TSS.

kanedog has poo,, poor guy,, lol..

Ive ordered my new 15 144 torch, Dealer is going to set up with Paul at impulse, cant wait for winter again!!! and a functioning left knee:face-icon-small-sho

Gus

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Kanedog is pretty spot on...

As to motor longevity, more power WILL decrease engine life, hard to get around that. A motor has x amount of horsepower hours in it, and by adding power you run that clock up faster. IMO boost, because of how it comes into power, is less likely to cause crank & bearing issues (in poos, it actually seems to make that motor MORE reliable, at least at our altitudes) than a big bore with notably less power, because of the bottom end HIT of a big bore.

Reeds & pistons will need to be replaced more... but anyone who's pushing a motor should be comfortable with that kind of thing I'd think.

I've seen boosted M8's that have over 10k on bottom ends without ever being opened up, but that is an inherently strong motor... the doo motor has the retarded sealed bearings which are an issue even on stock motors, so you've got to expect that to be an issue long term really.

My cats I kept for 2 years, after 2 hard years & about 4000 miles I found that the work of dealing with them increased significantly, and it was time to go.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
aerocharger turbo

I have been running an aerocharger for 4 years now. The kit started on a 2011 etec and has migrated to a 2014 xm. The fueling provided on this kit is very user friendly, the install is simple and they flat out rip.

The aerocharger kits have evolved over the last 4 years to now include turbo specific reeds and clutching as well as a host of other options to refine the kit to your riding style. For example: If you do a great deal of boondocking and don't generate consistent ground speed you may want to consider the cold air intake option as you will likely generate higher than normal under hood engine temps. Aerocharger, as well as some other manufacturers, continue to push the envelope on refining there kits and the ease of use to the consumer.

Skidoo's ECM mapping and rave schedule have evolved over the years to make the etec applications even more boost friendly compared to the inception of the 800 etec in 2011. They simply run stronger every year with and without boost.

I would suggest calling the manufacturers of any kit you might consider. Once you have talked with them i would also suggest talking with there dealer network. In my experience a dealer network will give you great insight as they typically arent going to support a product that will yield constant issues. Focus on dealers that have a reputation to uphold and arent slapping kits on in there garage.

You will get opinions on this site from people that have zero experience with the kits you might be considering and in some instances zero experience with Skidoo. You will even get people chiming in that dont have a turbo setup!

Lastly, pay attention to the pro riders and sled manufacturers and what they are having success with. These guys don't like to loose and simply wont run kits that dont produce results.

As far as the reliablility of certain turbo's over others. I have had more issues with my 2871 than I have with my aero. The initial issues with my 2871 were self induced as i sent part of the exhaust stinger through the turbo on a carbed 800r. I had the center section replaced. I was chasing an oil leak on the oiling system for the turbo for an entire season. It ended up being a bad center section from the get go. I had no help from garret on that one. Bottom line, none of the manufacturers are perfect.

I'm sure I sound like an aerocharger chearleader but have had exceptional luck with there kit and have real world experience to back it!

You are preparing to make a healthy investment. Do your homework...you have all summer!

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
etec

OMG!!! Welcome to the 21st century gus. What are you going to do if you can't tinker with carbs! lol

Miku is your best choice in ca. TSS.

kanedog has poo,, poor guy,, lol..

Ive ordered my new 15 144 torch, Dealer is going to set up with Paul at impulse, cant wait for winter again!!! and a functioning left knee:face-icon-small-sho

Gus

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Nutty=aero leghumper.
Just kidding nutty. It's good to hear that u have had good luck.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
For what it's worth I have the BoonDocker set up and I am far from a "tuner". However, I am mechanically inclined and have a full set of tools in my snowmobile trailer now that I own a turbo and have been learning about turbos as I go this season. I haven't had any serious issues with the BoonDocker. I can't compare the kit to others because I have never even seen another turbo XM in person on the mountain. I swear Turbo XM's are the unicorn of snowmobiles. I have been happy with BoonDocker and plan on doing another one on a 163 (mine is a 154). I have ridden from 2,500' to 10,000' and the thing blows away my stock sled hands down(when its running right). I think having a knowledgeable dealer close to the area is key for a turbo if you don't know much about them(I unfortunately don't but Bret Rasmussen and BoonDocker have been super helpful when I call to ask questions). I also think it's smart to have a back up sled if you aren't a turbo guru like some of the guys on here. That way no day is ruined or you don't get pissed for buying a turbo. When my turbo decides it doesn't want to play I just jump on my stock 163 and go ride and it is no sweat off my back. I would also say don't stretch yourself finacially to get a turbo. You don't see people asking what the mpg is when they are buying a Ferrari. If you are worried about wanting to run 92 octane instead of race gas, worried about the sled still being covered by warranty, or having to pay for repairs for turbo inflicted damage then a turbo probably isn't for you. I fully prepared myself for the worst having read all the turbo bashing that goes on and I would say it's not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. I would agree with what is said above. Most of the bashing I hear in person is from people that don't even run turbos and/or never have, can't afford turbos, or ran a turbo 6 years ago before the technology is what it is today. Personally I will always have a turbo in my stable because nothing beats riding wheelies around all day :)

G
Apr 23, 2008
good post chadly,
Ive been racing and riding and of course building turbos 2 strokes since 1986.
Most likely the only person who can say they have had dozens of aero turbos over the early yrs .
Ive now got dozens of garretts and still love turbos.. of course you cant have one and be IFFY,, IFFY is dont want to have to use high quality fuel, dont want to have be a tuner/ mechanic / guru.
There is only the 4 stroke cat for those ( credit card ) turbo owners. the ones who ONLY know how to SWIPE the card and turn the key, those guys are over running the market and now are creeping into the 2 stroke end ..
DONT do it..

that mentality will quickly get you pushed aside by the kit builder you choose. It happens when you just expect it to be turn key and go like the car. Folks whining of lost weekends, lost trips etc etc are jack asses. These are toys first foremost and always TOYS,, When an adult whines like a 4 yr old over playing with there toys and the TOY not playing with them its disgusting.

make damn sure your ready to be a tuner, and a mechanic. when you break a reed or what ever slows you down that day, week or TRIP ,, god forbid.. you can handle it with grace..

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
turbo maintenance

2014doo:

after reading some of these posts, i keep having flashbacks of nitrous meltdowns and our old saying of "bring two break two" regarding each person bringing multiple sleds for when the inevitable occurs. lots of broken parts, tons of down time, wrenching in the parking lot, and finally coming to the conclusion that that making a sled significantly lighter cost about as much as horsepower but was much cheaper in the long run.

here is my take on any 2 stoke turbo kit that is advertised as such. for an upgrade that costs $5-7K or more, it better be pull and go or damn close to it. anything with a engine can be tempermental; plenty of stories of stockers acting squirrely but if day to day, someone isn't sure if their turbo 2 stroke is going to run at least reasonably well, imho it's a mechanical problem, not a tuning problem. when the two strokes went efi, combined with det sensors, it was game on. "tuning " a turbo, assuming you know how fueling and afr's or egt's work, became as easy as pushing buttons and reading the numbers. the only "tuners" that i see get into trouble, mechanical failures aside, are the guys who get greedy; ie if 6lbs is good, 12lbs will be great. i always assumed the pump gas turbo came to the mountain segment to reclaim the power that gets lost in elevation. if that's where you want to be, there should be no additional wear and tear on your engine, or complete sled for that matter, than it would experience at sea level.

to be fair, we ride from 9-12k feet above sea level and while power robbing, this difference in altitude is relatively minor and somewhat forgiving. that being said, if some of you guys are seriously d*cking around with your turbo setups on a regular basis, i feel for you. you get in this sport to ride and wrenching ain't riding. 2014doo my advice to you is decide what boost you want to run, buy a kit that supports that level, clutch for it, fuel for it, and ride it (btw this putting guys on blast who want to run less octane, as long they are being mindful of the parameters that need to be paying attention to, why not? running 110 for sport during the winter in an engine that will not detonate on 104 on a hot summer day is a waste of money and performance). routine maintenance shouldn't differ from a stocker but the higher the boost, the more wear and tear on certain items, inside and out. no way around that.

i hope you can hook up with some cats that are running the kit(s) you have an interest in and they can give it to you straight. if you're ever in these parts, let us know. we may be riding through the summer if it keeps snowing.....

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
in my opinion a video that shows a skidoo turbo shop owner riding skillfully going where yamaha turbos are going........is far better than a 275lb turbo shop owner standing in a heated shop telling you how great his turbo is speaks volumes.
Google or you tube Top Secret Shop and then google aerocharger.
Can't find any aerocharger vids? Hmmmmmmmm..............I wonder why?
You can draw your own contusions.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
confused

in my opinion a video that shows a skidoo turbo shop owner riding skillfully going where yamaha turbos are going........is far better than a 275lb turbo shop owner standing in a heated shop telling you how great his turbo is speaks volumes.

Since when does an individuals weight have any barring on there ability to produce a competent product!

If you are looking for video I would recommend going to youtube as opposed to google. Simply type in search paramaters and it will yield the results taged to your search. For example: Search "aerocharger ski doo" and you will get pages of video. If you search "Top Secret Shop" you will get videos taged to that search.

There is alot of video out there showing etecs on boost running extremely well.

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO

I've got no skin in this game, yet. But I've seen a lot of aerocharger videos.

Premium Features