• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need spindle

C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
Well I got a little excited after we got our second storm and ended up hitting a rock. I broke the front two clamps and bent up my spindle. Wondering if anyone has one for sale. They are very expensive directly from TS and do not quite have the funds to repair it. It's a long shot but I figured I would ask.

Or if you all have any recommendations for a aftermarket set up.

2006 YZ450F W/2013 TS SX kit.

Thanks,
Cody

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
How bad is it? Find a shop that works aluminum a lot. They can fix it. I found that the hutterite colonies are good with aluminum and stainless steel because they use them often. You might be tempted to add some bracing to the spindle. Don't. It will just transfer the forces to something more expensive!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
although not to fancy, check all the homebuilt kits, you could whip up one out of steel for pretty cheap, and fairly easy to build and most guys have acess to a mig welder

maybe not as light and fancy but get you bacnk on the snow on the cheap.

Oct 16, 2012
BC
although not to fancy, check all the homebuilt kits, you could whip up one out of steel for pretty cheap, and fairly easy to build and most guys have acess to a mig welder

maybe not as light and fancy but get you bacnk on the snow on the cheap.

But steel would be stonger and again end up breaking somthing more expensive. that being said I have my enginers at working doing one up out of thinner steel. They have the sides all done just have to get the forming details done. at there pace should be ready for summer :face-icon-small-con

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
But steel would be stonger and again end up breaking somthing more expensive. that being said I have my enginers at working doing one up out of thinner steel. They have the sides all done just have to get the forming details done. at there pace should be ready for summer :face-icon-small-con
it is very easy to overbuild out of steel, that is for sure, IMO, designing a strong spindle with shear pins in the top would be ideal. throw a few extras in the pack and you could have a rock solid spindle that would fold out of the way on hard impact for the cost of a few bolts.

M
Mar 14, 2012
That is how I built the original frozenmoto one. I just added a beefy overbuilt, yet very lightweight frame, and then added shear pins to the top so you get the best of booth worlds. MY thinking exactly was to pack some pins and worse case replace the mount brackets, maybe $20.

Here is a pic of one I designed a couple months ago. Could be built for quite cheap as well contrary to what what I was told.

Oh and I never had the frame piece bend. only brackets and bolts. You could park your pickup on the frame and not bend it.

00r7.png

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
extrude the spindles and just cut 2" wide sections out of it. keep those costs LOWWW

companies like Ice age who deal with extruding a fair amount (rails) might be worth giving a should for something like this. thats if your mass producing. takes a while to recoup die costs!

Last edited:
C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
That looks very good. And I like the idea of the shear pins. Can those withstand fairly large drops? I assume they can because the shock will be taking up the compression.

This may be a dumb question but I assume that is milled from aluminum correct?

Do you sell this spindle and clamps?

M
Mar 14, 2012
extrude the spindles and just cut 2" wide sections out of it. keep those costs LOWWW

companies like Ice age who deal with extruding a fair amount (rails) might be worth giving a should for something like this. thats if your mass producing. takes a while to recoup die costs!

Even better, have them water jetted out. No die or tooling cost and if you find a good shop they are very cost effective at low runs. I actually have another design that I have been working on. I wonder if there is much of a market for a aftermarket alternative ski mount.

I also think this design will eliminate some drag on the ski spindles when turning in deep snow. As this design just cuts through when you turn. Its basically the same overall idea as many snowmobile spindles are using only scaled to fit a bike and with the shear pin idea.

Last edited:
M
Mar 14, 2012
That looks very good. And I like the idea of the shear pins. Can those withstand fairly large drops? I assume they can because the shock will be taking up the compression.

This may be a dumb question but I assume that is milled from aluminum correct?

Do you sell this spindle and clamps?

It can be made in a variety of ways. At this point I am not currently selling them though I may if their is any real interest, not this design per-say but I have another one that I have been working on. It mounts a bit differently but is very similar. Yes they can take any drop as very little of the drop is causing torque on the arms therefor sheer on the bolts. The only way it will do anything is if you take a hard in dirt with a force coming at you. This is when you forks will want to bend. Also the spacers will take some side load as well so a bit of protection in that regard.

C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
That would be sweet to design them like that. I think your design looks good. I feel as if the Timbersled design does create a fair amount of drag. So here are the pics of the damage. Don't think I can repair it.

IMG_20131118_185145_899.jpg IMG_20131118_185202_633.jpg IMG_20131118_185225_828.jpg IMG_20131118_185256_101.jpg IMG_20131118_185346_231.jpg IMG_20131118_185534_528.jpg

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
That is how I built the original frozenmoto one. I just added a beefy overbuilt, yet very lightweight frame, and then added shear pins to the top so you get the best of booth worlds. MY thinking exactly was to pack some pins and worse case replace the mount brackets, maybe $20.

Here is a pic of one I designed a couple months ago. Could be built for quite cheap as well contrary to what what I was told.

Oh and I never had the frame piece bend. only brackets and bolts. You could park your pickup on the frame and not bend it.

00r7.png

What about that design made out of the same plastic skis are made of?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The $226 spindle and $170 clamps are now the least of your worries. Those fork tubes aren't cheap. You are looking at around $1,000 if you are lucky to replace everything. Best of luck dude!

M
Mar 14, 2012
What about that design made out of the same plastic skis are made of?

That would be pushing the limits of poly. There are some extreme forces in some cases that I'm not sure if poly could handle. If made with lots of triangular 3D gussets perhaps it would work. But then you would also have to come up with a 30k mold fund and that would be rough for such a small market.

Im sure some poly would work to some extent. Skis are UHMW usually which is pretty flex able and would cause your steering to be very unpredictable at speed and with bumps.

As the design sits now the linear design would not hold up at all to plastic though.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Even better, have them water jetted out. No die or tooling cost and if you find a good shop they are very cost effective at low runs. I actually have another design that I have been working on. I wonder if there is much of a market for a aftermarket alternative ski mount.

I also think this design will eliminate some drag on the ski spindles when turning in deep snow. As this design just cuts through when you turn. Its basically the same overall idea as many snowmobile spindles are using only scaled to fit a bike and with the shear pin idea.

I have destroyed three Timbersled spindles in three season and have tried to find somebody that would sell me a better designed spindle but have been unsuccessful. Their is a much better way to prevent fork damage then having a $226+shipping part be the fail safe, I would much rather replace a couple bolts.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
That would be sweet to design them like that. I think your design looks good. I feel as if the Timbersled design does create a fair amount of drag. So here are the pics of the damage. Don't think I can repair it.

Ouch bet that sent you over the bars. Instead of replacing the fork tubes just buy a whole new fork set off of ebay. Not sure what bike you have but I have been shopping for CRF forks for my CR500 and they can be had for $300.

C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
Yea I flew pretty far and hit a rock. Still very sore. I have found full forks for around $200 on ebay. My thinking at first is that I wouldn't have to replace them because the clamps cover that part anyhow, but then I realized the damage and I want the new clamps to have a good fit so I don't break something else.

Sure would like a new design. Anyone heard how the UFO front spindle works?

Premium Features