• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

People from the Northeast have stinky gas

S
Feb 19, 2013
We do. And by that I mean it's all ethanol. I'm getting a '14 RMK and have started to do some research on non-ethanol gas. I found an airfield locally that you can apparently get 91 non-ethanol. In order to get this to the mountains (and by mountains, I mean 'large whoops' compared to you luck sob's out West) we'd have to buy some fuel caddies to put in the back of our trucks, fill up every week before we went up, blah blah blah...

So what I'm wondering is if the effort is worth it from those of you who have run both ethanol and non-ethanol.

Are we going to see an appreciable performance difference?
Would it effect the reliability of the sled?
Effect break in in the positive or negative?

Basically, if I buy a Burandt wrap, Burandt handlebars, Burandt bag, and keep an autographed picture of Burandt on me at all times...PLUS add non-ethanol fuel will I finally be able to ride like him?

On a serious note, just wondering if all the trouble would be worth it. Thanks for the guidance!

Shoe

S
Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for the come back. So the power difference is noticeable to you? Any idea if it effects break in, longevity of the motor, etc? Thanks again!

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Possible water contamination will be one of your other issues with the corn-fuel and another reason to avoid it, if you can. Glad we do not have such nonsense up north, yet. 550iq

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
My 13 runs a lot better on non ethanol!

But can you really trust gas stations to post whether or not your buying E gas or not? I don't think so! Soo I run ethanol mode all the time as to not detonate my engine!

I buy gas every day! Some gas smells like it has onions in it! Does ethanol fuel smell different than the stuff we are all used to huffing??!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
If you rode back to back days, one with non-ethanol and the next with ethanol it is noticeable. As long as you properly setup the resistor it is okay to break in with ethanol. Remember to follow Polaris recommendations on added oil to fuel tank and if I remember properly use polaris blue oil for first 300 miles then ves synthetic gold. Something like that

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
Its not possible to get fuel any place here in the North east that is on road fuel with out the drugs in it...... So there is a few choices

1. park the sled and drain the fuel and refill with 100 LL small aircraft fuel , this as of today will cost right around $7.00 a gallon and I can get cans filled but I don't think I could get 100 gallons. and I don't see a need of the added headach of poss lead fouled spark plugs so I only put 3 gallons in the tank and store it for the summer with the 100 LL.

2. race fuel that is non-oxygenated again very expensive and goes stale faster then 100 LL

3. Cim-tek Hydroburn with crap pump fuel

http://www.cim-tek.com/petroleum/additives.html

S
Feb 19, 2013
xcmark- have you seen this website? You can click on the state and it will tell you if there are any places to get non-eth. Pretty handy.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NH

I just called the one in Hampton and they do sell it ($4.95 a gallon), and they said they have it year round...so I'm thinking that it's at least do-able if we wanted to go that route.

Does anyone know if it's safe to switch back and forth eth/non-eth as long as you use the right setting on the sled? I'm just thinking there may be weeks that we can't get it/don't have time/etc.

Thanks again all!

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
xcmark- have you seen this website? You can click on the state and it will tell you if there are any places to get non-eth. Pretty handy.

I just called the one in Hampton and they do sell it ($4.95 a gallon), and they said they have it year round...so I'm thinking that it's at least do-able if we wanted to go that route.

Does anyone know if it's safe to switch back and forth eth/non-eth as long as you use the right setting on the sled? I'm just thinking there may be weeks that we can't get it/don't have time/etc.

Thanks again all!

If I ha e any concentration of ethanol in my tank I will run with the resistor to be safe, but yes you can switch back and forth safely

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole

Thanks again all!

Haffners in Hudson sell Cam-2 race fuel. Good stuff if its not stale. even on a bad day its still better to park your sled with stale Cam -2 then right from the refinery ethanol pump piss. Not sure you will find it for $5.00 a gallon....

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Possible water contamination will be one of your other issues with the corn-fuel and another reason to avoid it, if you can. Glad we do not have such nonsense up north, yet. 550iq

Where do you get non E fuel here in Anchorage area?
I just moved up here a few months ago but couldnt find any no E anywhere.

Premium Features