• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handle Bar Feedback... what are your thoughts

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
For what long seemed like a trend of tall risers and bars it seems like more guys are leaning to a shorter set up nowadays.

What are your thoughts on running lower bars on your pro's like the RSI Burandt bar or the Fly Dan Adam's set up.

Anyone make the switch and regret it from stock. What was your feedback? What was the good, what was the bad? Have you ridden both setups?

I was always fan of larger riser's up to really thinking about and then talking with Rasmussen about it at Hayday's. Now he is a shorter rider than myself, being 6ft, but now I see more respected riders making the swap to short on the Pro.

Cheers
Shawn

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My 2011 Pro has the Burandt bars and I really liked them. They have the bent bar ends instead of the 90 degree that come on the Pro Taper. The 90 degree gets caught on a lot of stuff like backpack strap, hoodie pockets, etc. Also, you can use grip warmers all the way out to the bent bar ends on the RSI bars (Burandt bars). The 90 degree hooks freeze up full of ice. My 2013 Pro doesn't have the Burandt bars yet but it will. If you are tall, you might not like the trail riding with the Burandt bars but it wasn't too bad for me. The Pro Tapers aren't terrible, but they are swept out more and have more rise to them. You'll get used to either one but the Burandt bars are lower and give you a little more control I think.

Here are pics comparing the two with angle and rise differences...

attachment.php

attachment.php

photo (1).JPG photo (2).JPG

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I like the leverage advantage that I get from the shorter bars. I'm a short guy, so my bars are much shorter... On the pro last year, I ran the RSI bars with a 2.5" rise and then just a the oversized clamps mounted directly to the steering post plate.

OC-1-B.jpg

TB-BC-BLK.jpg

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Eric, how much did your setup drop from stock?

Did you ever do the green scheme to your Pro? Pics?

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
6'

I'm 6' and preferred the lower height of my std 11rmk over the 11 assault I had last year. I would say the bars are about 1'' to 1.5'' lower on the standard rmk. Going to look for a setup to drop the bars on whatever pro I buy for next year.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I switched to Dan Adams bars and added a small riser after a few rides, maybe I was just to used to the pro taper height. I'm 5'11" and still on the fence post as to whether it was worth the switch, going to play with both heights again this season.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I completely agree once you are sidehilling steeper slopes the shorter bars help control, but for guys over 6' I really wonder how these are working out.

IMO shorter is better in the steep trees but hunching over half the day getting there and back in some of the areas was not really worth it. I ended up liking a 1" rise with stock taper height best overall. (6'3" without boots)

Any other feedback on these aftermarket lower bars from the taller bunch?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I'm 6'5" and I run the pro tapers and a 2.5 inch riser and its still a bit low for me

FCR112 sorry for the bad post rating stupid fat thumbs / smartphones

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
I'm 6'-7" and run stock pro tapers and a 1" block on my SBA . The bars could be taller but I sit about 40% of the time, and that gets annoying with super tall bars.
I got pretty long arms, and wear boots with very little heel. So I'm not bent over at all to reach the bars when standing!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I'm 6-2 ish and run narrowed Burandt bars.

Everything that you do on a moderate slope or steeper is easier/you have more control with the short bars. When it gets steep, you can really move forward on the sled without the bars getting into your chest. It can be done with the Pro Tapers but I just feel it's a bit easier with the shorter bars because you're not fighting the infamous sidehill wash-out.

Narrow is really nice in the tight technical tree riding. Mine are cut down quite a bit and I still regularily hit my bars on trees while riding.

Everything that is relatively flat kinda sucks because I have to bend over more. I have long arms and can stand straight up and down and grab my bars with slightly bent elbows. FWIW

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
I'm 6' and run the burandt bars. I love them. The pro tapers are too tall and wide for technical riding. If you have taller bars it moves you back on the boards and you have less control.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Agreed pro tapers are too wide, and the bend isn't the greatest either...

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Gotta love it. With such a fine selection of aftermarket bars and risers available, one should be able to hit the sweet spot. To me the Pro Tapers with a 1" riser block on my SBA is trophy. 550iq

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
To each their own. Obviously these are the bars Chris Burandt likes. I talked to him when they first came out (under his moniker) and he explained how he liked the lower bars for more control. He's about 6'1" maybe 6"2". I guess it all depends what you do. If you don't spend much time on the trail, the lower bars might not matter. If you trail ride a lot and don't need the lower center of gravity control, taller bars might be the ticket.

The bad part is that you can't just slide a set of lower bars on and try them. You have to buy new grip warmers and grips. I've never been able to reuse grip warmers and have them continue to work very well.

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
To each their own. Obviously these are the bars Chris Burandt likes. I talked to him when they first came out (under his moniker) and he explained how he liked the lower bars for more control. He's about 6'1" maybe 6"2". I guess it all depends what you do. If you don't spend much time on the trail, the lower bars might not matter. If you trail ride a lot and don't need the lower center of gravity control, taller bars might be the ticket.

The bad part is that you can't just slide a set of lower bars on and try them. You have to buy new grip warmers and grips. I've never been able to reuse grip warmers and have them continue to work very well.

We've done 3 and reused the warmers. You just have to use some heat

Premium Features