• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shocks for 250 lbs riders?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
What shocks are you big riders using? I'm 250 with no gear on and the back shocks bottom out to much, what's some options and feed back.thanx

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
EXIT shocks from Zbroz are definitely worth looking into. They'll build them specifically for your riding weight and style. I also believe they have a "ride quality guarantee" where they will make necessary changes within a certain amount of time that you have the shocks assuring that you are satisfied with the performance of the shock. They offer different versions with different levels of adjustability. http://www.zbrozracing.com

I personally have ran them all the way around on 3 pro rmks and the difference over stock is huge. They are very plush and soft in initial travel with excellent bottoming resistance. I have tried many many different spring combinations on the ski shocks and different springs on the rear shocks as well. They have always been happy to offer setup advice and use my feedback to help me have a great all around shock package. I first started using EXIT shocks 3 years ago. I tried and tried with air shocks since they're a bit lighter, but I got tired of blowing them out and having to sacrifice ride quality for bottoming resistance.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Stock shock with Carl's Revalving and Fat Boy spring. It works like a charm. Highly recommended and much less expensive than new shocks. All four of my shocks are revalved. The Fat Boy spring alone is a good alternative if you don't want to pay for the revalving. I weigh 240 lbs. before I put my gear on.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Ya thanx ill try the big boy spring first, if that no good ill do the revalve.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
damn I've done the revalve with clicker piggy backs and Raptors. The Raptors are SO much better if you can swing the extra $1000 do it. Also, there is some geometry problems with the stock Pro skid that shocks won't fix. I'm about your size and nearly half of the suspension is used up in sag. If your use a stiffer spring and then preload the crap out of it to get that sag out the rear is really harsh. I'm a huge proponent of the KMOD with Raptors. If your skid and stock shocks are in good shape you can get at least a grand out of them and if you have a 13 with 163 you can get $1600-1700 out of them. So you are $$1800-2500 difference. A revalve(all 4 shocks) and just a rear spring will be $1200-1600. So for $600-1100 more your will be riding a different sled. Ride, handling, adjustability are all massively improved. I have a 13 Pro with Raptors all around and KMOD skid and it has made just a huge difference. Compared to what I've spent on 4 knee surgeries it's a bargain.:face-icon-small-ton

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
It will be for a 14, with 163. When I rode the 13, it was good in the deep snow. Just very bad on the roads on the way back.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The back shock in the rear skid was not as bad as the front rear skid shock.but if going to tight with it and its a trenching machine.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Any suspension rides nice on 2 feet of pow. You are right though about the front shock. I like to run those with just enough preload to keep the spring perch from falling out for deep snow performance/handling but then it will bottom out easily on any rough terrain. Having clickers on the shock will help this a lot as you can add compression damping. But even then the geometry is not as good as a KMOD. On my twelve I had all four shocks valved for my weight and riding preferences and had clicker reservoirs installed, it was a definite improvement but nothing like Raptors and KMOD.

800dragon_rmk

Dec 3, 2007
Dawson creek B.C, Canada
After blowing 3 polaris shocks in the rear skid (assualt and rmk) i went to raptors and a kmod on my turbo. best investment ive ever made on a sled. im 250 with no gear on and with just a click of the shock you can make such a difference. Hands down raptors are the best shock made

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Looking at the raptor triple rate springs, any body try them? How do you like them?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Well I ordered up a set of raptor shocks all (4), can't wait for the sled and shocks to show up, and to ride. Dam summer.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I think you will be happy with the Raptors. I love my X1's and I just don't feel a revalve of the stock shocks is enough. Adjust ability is huge! If Raptor has near the customer support of Zbroz, that will be a big plus as well.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
The stock WE's are about the cheapest speced rebuildable shock I have ever opened up. They are light though.

I had to do a rebuild every 5 to 600 miles just to maintain stock performance (not that bad). Too much stiction (flimsy shock shafts and short bushings) and too little volume (skinny body and no reservoir) makes revalving (I tried a couple of changes) a waste of time IMO.
Because we ride in powder 80% of the time they are adequate and light (I said that before eh! lol) but I`m sure a flatlander could smoke these shocks in a 100 miles and have just about zero dampening in 4 or 5 min of hard riding due to body distortion.

Aftermarket is the only option IMO if it`s a keeper. Your body will thank you every day and 20 yrs from now (if your a high miler). Trouble is all aftermarket builder are VERY proud of their product which makes the purchase of 4 shocks too a big investment for some.
It`s close to the same price to buy all the parts and assemble your own (which is weird in this day and age).

It would be nice to see a quality budget package of 4 shocks (bigger shock body internally with a body rub strip on the outside; strong flex free, larger shaft; free flowing valve body; hard anodized or steel body for long life) valved to use to stock springs, stock geometry.

Not everybody needs, 3 clickers and double or triple rate springs. Someone would need to do their homework to get the valving right for a non-adjustable shock package.
Rebound for a straight rate, known stock spring should be a pretty simple. A triple compression stack (please don`t save a dollar here like OEM lol) based on the rising or falling rate for that shock position can be dialed on a shock dyno.

That`s what I would like to find. Until then I`m just keep rebuilding the WE`s because it`s within my budget lol.

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I`m sure a flatlander could smoke these shocks in a 100 miles and have just about zero dampening in 4 or 5 min of hard riding due to body distortion.

Hahah mhmm

Premium Features