• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

grey is bad

C
Dec 2, 2010
have of O4 800 edge, decided to put new plugs in and noticed that the plug on clutch side is burning grey and looks like it had got really hot. Compression check shows between 135 and 140 on both cylinders. Checked by lifting up on the clutch for play in the crank and dont notice any, and sled still runs good and showed no signs of overheating. The gray makes me think of aluminum. any suggestions.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Sounds lean on that side. Possible PTO seal leak where the crank comes out of the case. If you still have that kind of compression you have saved it in time but make sure you find out why it is lean. Leak check the case and/or run the engine and spray some carb cleaner around the seal, if the engine sound changes or there is change in RPM you probably have a leak and need to change the seal. If it is very lean on that side and you run it you will seize the motor. Also check carbs for restricted or gummed up main jet. First ride of the year? Could also be from bad fuel so put some fresh in.

C
Dec 2, 2010
not the first ride. Have a 100 miles or so this year and sure the gas is good, will try cleaning the carbs and checking the seals for leaks thanks for the info dont want to burn it up this early in the season.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i remember my edge plugs ran greyish.white is bad.could do leak test and try fatter jets

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i allways had good luck with them.when i put on a pipe they recomended 2 different sized jets because 1 side ran hotter

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Check your jetting. Are you running ethanol or not? Loosing any coolant?
I had good luck with mine keeping a balanced clutch,a tad rich on the jets and staying far away from cruising too much in the 6000 rpm range.

J
Dec 3, 2010
Clarkston, wa
I pulled my plug yesterday and they were also gray... Which is kinda weird to be because my sled smokes a lot especially at start up and when I give a good hard hit to throttle. But my sled also run great! And I have no idea what's going on.... I only pulled the plugs because I thought I was running to rich and was going to do some adjusting....but I also run it at 6000 rpms alot while running with my buddies.....

C
Dec 2, 2010
chater quit buying that crap gas, your going to have to cross the state line and buy some ethanol-free up here in Washington :p
thanks xcrash but i dont think its the gas only one jug is burning grey so i dont think thats the problem. Maybe the hi-pro gas your getting in grapeland is what blew ur head gaskets.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Probably not what's going on for you but i had a similar issue once and found that some of the nickasil had come off the cylinder wall and the aluminum was be eaten away.

C
Dec 2, 2010
found the problem with the grey plug and i am lucky. The exhaust valve broke and the piston was barely hitting it. pulled the head of and the y pipe and got the broken piece out and nothing hurt got it back together and all good.

Premium Features