• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo performance RT

Dec 21, 2008
Just picked up a used 66 series turbo performance kit for my RT. Wondering what every one is doing for fueling these things. Not a fan of the piggy back box, and would like to hear what is working for every one. Been thinking the only way to make this a reliable sled is adding extra injectors like the boost it kit on the yammie thread is doing.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
EIC Controller

The EIC is the way to go. You can get one from Simple Digital systems. They are the company that makes the boost it system. The sdi motors need fuel to the bottom end. I think you will still need to lower the fuel pressure to the stock injectors and run a boost referenced fuel pressure reg to them as well. I had a 600 sdi turbo a couple years ago and I needed to pull fuel down low to have the bottom end clean. It is possible that you may have the newer version fuel controller from turbo perf and can run that and it is capable of pulling fuel away from the map. The olders ones would only add fuel not pull it.

I think you can get the controller from SDS for a 2 injector setup if firing pulse is not important. I think it is somewhere around $400.

Dec 21, 2008
I am also wondering what a safe boost pressure to run on straight avgas will be before it starts to detonate at 2300 feet. Would It be safe at five pounds?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
should be plenty safe on those boost levels.. and IMO the eic is the way to go to..

like gus says.. a wet rt is a happy rt.. and they are way simple to tune.

P
Oct 26, 2010
Yep additional injector controller is the way to go, i'm using the one from 034motorsports as it's boost mapable, and tuneable with a laptop. it has a built in map sensor so it changes the pulse width according to boost pressure with a 8x16 grid.
should be sweet! ill be figuring it out in the next week or two.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Just curious....has anyone tried installing powerjets in the throttle bodies or airbox? That plus a standard EFI controller box might work??? Might not be as clean and adjustable though...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
EIC's are basically powerjets for fueli motors.. no sense messing with something that works dang good already..

also, i see an issue putting 40# of pressure to a powerjet.

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
Please help me understand why everyone thinks they need more fuel, my sled had some problems but it was never a lack of fuel, I can make my sled fall on its face with only using two of my injectors!

Dec 21, 2008
I dont think they need more fuel then the factory injectors can supply. I just dont overly trust what all the sensors are telling the stock ones to do even when you have a control box on them. To me the extra injectors would just be to tune for the boost. And none of the sensors could tell the extra injectors what to do. Very open to suggestion, this will be my first sled on boost and I have alot to learn, the guy I bought it off said he could never really get it to run right and blaimed it on inconsistent fuel. Would like to know what people have working well. Thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I dont think they need more fuel then the factory injectors can supply. I just dont overly trust what all the sensors are telling the stock ones to do even when you have a control box on them. To me the extra injectors would just be to tune for the boost. And none of the sensors could tell the extra injectors what to do. Very open to suggestion, this will be my first sled on boost and I have alot to learn, the guy I bought it off said he could never really get it to run right and blaimed it on inconsistent fuel. Would like to know what people have working well. Thanks
here en-lies the problem..

im not 100000% sure on how the dobeck style boxes do fueling, if its all percent based or what, but i know the stock system likes to do wild stuff, i know the rt's have weird inconsistent fueling issues from the factory.. so if your just increasing by percentages and the sled goes sorta rich on the stock map.. now your WAY rich... same goes for lean, i guess I just don't like the factory RT wiring and controls.. its poor at best. i know mine ran really well wen it ran, but was relalup up and down. sometimes it just flat ripped, other times it was leaving streaks of black in the snow and burning through plugs like it was nobody's business.. so i guess its hard for some to want to expand on that. there are also some other things the RT needs done that are real simple an im betting are going to make tuning it a lot easier. things like the lack of a factory t-stat are just mind boggling things that should be included, and if your coolant is spiking up and down, your stock fuel maps is gonna be all over the place to run it as well.

I had think this boils down to, if you have an original ripper from the factory, throw a dobeck style box on it and it should work great, like jason's sled in the video, it goes just as good in the hills to... but if you had one that's inconsistent from the get go., its not that you need more fuel supply, its no need more reliable fuel supply. one that you control, not whatever the ecu does in its wild mind.

Last edited:
P
Oct 26, 2010
as i've found over the past few months of research, the crankshaft doesn't get much fuel/oil so that's why i chose to put injectors on the throttle bodies. as for an add on box, dobeck is the way to go for the RT if you just want a slap on and go box, it has a Map sensor built in so it's
maps change with manifold pressure.

i've just heard of the cranks going south on the rt due to no fuel down there, so i wanted to try to avoid that problem.
interesting, with Inkedrider and his RT not having anything but a bobeck box and it's running great! awesome!! i hope for the same results.

do you have any kind of fuel control box that came with your kit? also, what's the condition of your Aero? just wondering doesn't really pertain the to managment section :)

Does your box have a map sensor tube? i've seen some that don't.. or maybe it's a custom top secret box :) hahaha

Last edited:

Dec 21, 2008
^^^ well said, thats what I was trying to say lol I milled a T stat into my head and am currently pulling my motor out to do new pistons. Hope I get this thing running well and it will be an awesome winter. Should pull the 3" track well.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
also, while you got it out, go throught the bottom end.. when i did mine, i cleand out all the bearning surfaces and repacked them with iso... not sure about yours but mine were all loaded with belt dust.. at least try to start fresh and clean eh??

also, got an pics of the t-stat in the head. seems like a great way to do it.. the xp one works well, but im betting yours is a LOT cleaner install and less cluter when going turbo...

Dec 21, 2008
The kit came with an attitude control box, actually got two because he thought it was faulty and causing him issues so I have an extra one now. The aero seems to be in really good shape. I doubt the kit has a 1000km on it, everything looks like brand new.

Dec 21, 2008
Ya my control box have the map sensor tube, I dont have pictures of the t stat, you cant tell it even has one in it. The xp t stat would not work as I was running the 1100 Bikeman kit with crankshop pipes and there was no room for anything.
Have any of you heard of the cranks going out of phase, the guy I bought the kit off of said it would be in my best interest to send mine in and get it pinned and welded as he was running his at 10 pounds boost and it spun the crank on him.

P
Oct 26, 2010
score!! if there's a spot for a wideband put one in. i for one am worried about leaning out, ( extra injectors, haha) so i'm putting a wide band on.
i've heard good things about the attitude box also, have any pics of the kit?

have a buddy here that runs the dobeck, he swears that's the only way to go. put it on and let us know man!

as for the crank, i've heard of guys spinning them but i think that was from detonation.. really if it's running correctily you shouldn't spin em.
because your just spinning the engine forward, but if it's detonation then your forcing the crank against the other piston as it's making power..
bang! twisto shafto.

someone correct me if i'm wrong anywhere :)

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
EIC's are basically powerjets for fueli motors.. no sense messing with something that works dang good already..

also, i see an issue putting 40# of pressure to a powerjet.

Post some pics...never seen one before. I only know carbs, I wanna put a RT1000 in a REV chassis.

As far as putting 40# to a powerjet, I wouldn't even blink. They are just a taper needle like in your carbs...plus no needle and seat.

Dec 21, 2008
There isnt alot of differance in weight between an RT and Rev. The bulk of the RT weight over the rev is from the engine and electrical.

Premium Features