• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best skis for the Axys ??????

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I had the 8” Powderhounds back in the day on my Pro and thought they worked decent but could be better narrower and with a carls cut. They also needed traction and more tip up at the rear... well we got all those things, could be a good ski I think.

I agree- as I ran the original Slydog and then the 8" powder hound- but these new one look like they did their homework.

He is a pick from the snowest mag.

dog attack.jpg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The P-hounds are long skis, especially compared to the shorty grippers, especially behind the spindle. Gave them a lot of turning capability on the first rider forward sleds like the Rev. Trashed a 7 ph on a rock on a Pro, and just went back to grippers every since, wasn't worth enough to replace the one. Tops were too slippery without screws for traction, but these are interesting.

These look just as long was the 7 and 8 ph's, which makes sense - skis have a lot of patent protections, which makes them hard to simply copy, and why the OEMs for years didn't put a lot of money into them for years. And then BRP copied Simmons - and paid big time. It's a tough business. If it's the same material, they won't be as hard as the grippers, which is good, and, the rubber won't blow out.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've ran different Skis in the past and yes you could feel some differences and they were a "tick" better then the grippers but.......It always came back to, is it really worth the cost???

Granted the grippers have a few issues but overall, they are a really good ski. I would like to try something different again and I've been leaning towards the Mohawk but the more I read, I'm getting the feeling I may be in the same boat as before????

Now the SlyDog, Attack comes along and it appears "different" and has neat features so maybe this is the way to go???? Again, I would love to hear from anyone who has run them on an Axys.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I've ran different Skis in the past and yes you could feel some differences and they were a "tick" better then the grippers but.......It always came back to, is it really worth the cost???

Granted the grippers have a few issues but overall, they are a really good ski. I would like to try something different again and I've been leaning towards the Mohawk but the more I read, I'm getting the feeling I may be in the same boat as before????

Now the SlyDog, Attack comes along and it appears "different" and has neat features so maybe this is the way to go???? Again, I would love to hear from anyone whttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=isCKTsHEJcoho has run them on an Axys.
I have run Slydogs on a few different sleds over the years. Wasnt a big fan on the XP I had them on, but liked the 8”ers I had on my Pro and I also had hellhounds that I shortened and carls cut that I didnt have much for gripes with. I wouldn’t really say they were worth the money over the grippers but they worked good and you have lots of color options. My only real complaint would have been the lack of traction.

I guess if a guy wants fancy colors or design it wouldnt be money poorly spent, by the time you sell the grippers it should be a $250 “mod” or so. I can think of a lot of things I have spent $250+ on and not noticed a bit of difference.

Will be nice to see some reviews come winter, they look like nice skis.

Linky- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=isCKTsHEJco

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Definitely cool skis!!

Love the "imitation" Carl's cut on the back, I've never run a pair of skis with that cut but all I've ever heard was good ? The rear tip up is another nice feature as well.

The color options are endless, which is pretty cool too.

I guess I'll wait to hear some more feedback but I'm definitely interested !!

D
Feb 1, 2015
Carl's Cut

Definitely go with the Mohawk's! Much more positive steering, and especially on sidehills, get the one's from Carl's Cycle Sales with their carl's cut. Keeps the ski sunk into the hill much better and steers superbly!

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I am not sure if there is any one ski better than next, conditions and riding style change this. I have tried many skis over the years and will always say the gripper is a hard ski to beat overall. Last season I gave the C&A BX a solid go and loved them. At first I was not sure, thy are super aggressive on the trail and took a bit to get used in the snow. After using them for half the season i switched back to the Grippers and knew very quickly I liked the BX skis. In spring snow the BX performs very well, they shine for sure. For the rest of the season I love that they rubbers last, all season. The ski it self does not deflect so once you get used to them they are super predictable. Also they stay straight all season, no bending. I really like them after giving them a chance and will continue to run them.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I sell just about all the brands including C&A. I sell a lot of Mohawks and feel they are about the best aftermarket powder ski overall. However, I am also a dealer for Slydog since the beginning and run 8" powderhounds on my 08 IQ RMK and really like them on that sled. My 2018 I am still on grippers. I would like to try a set of the new Slydog Attack mountain Skis. Really interested in these.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I sell just about all the brands including C&A. I sell a lot of Mohawks and feel they are about the best aftermarket powder ski overall. However, I am also a dealer for Slydog since the beginning and run 8" powderhounds on my 08 IQ RMK and really like them on that sled. My 2018 I am still on grippers. I would like to try a set of the new Slydog Attack mountain Skis. Really interested in these.

What do you like about the Mohawks?

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
We also run the C&A BX's on all of our sleds. As AK said, once you use them for a bit you notice a big difference when riding a sled with grippers. Not in a really bad way, the C&A's are just better. The only way I can describe it is that they feel more "confident" in all conditions.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The Slydog Attack look promising. I think I am going to try a set. Even if the perform the same or no better than my grippers it will be worth it because I will customize the colors to match my sled and no one else will have the exact same combo. Also, gives me a chance to see for myself and give feedback.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The Slydog Attack look promising. I think I am going to try a set. Even if the perform the same or no better than my grippers it will be worth it because I will customize the colors to match my sled and no one else will have the exact same combo. Also, gives me a chance to see for myself and give feedback.

Well, definitely keep us posted, as you are not the only one looking at these new Slydogs!

Premium Features