• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 King Cat Belt Squeal on Takeoff

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
So I took my King Cat 9000 out for its first weekend snowmobiling and got about 70 miles on the machine. One issue that I notices is that after the machine was up to operating temp and it had been driven for a couple miles, the belt would squeal when taking off. It only does it for a split second then the sled takes off and it goes away, but when I would get stuck or start off pushing snow it would do it longer and louder (loud enough my buddies could all figure out where I was stuck) but again it would go away once moving.

I am no clutch expert but I was going to take some degreaser to both the primary and secondary clutch sheaves with a Scotch Brite pad along with taking the belt off and soaking it in soapy water to remove any potential grease on them. I was also wondering if I should give it a little longer maybe the belt needs more miles?

Cat wants me to bring the sled in and have the clutches looked at to make sure they aren't sticking, but I really don't want to drive 90 miles to drop the sled off if there could be a simple fix.

Does anyone else have any suggestions I should try?

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Belt squeal is usually and indicator that deflection is tight. however, on the 17 King Cat, you are unable to set belt deflection correct? I believe this setup has the Idler Bearing on the Primary clutch and "self adjusts" for deflection.

I would be leaning more towards an issue with offset, which can be adjusted with shims with the correct offset bar. If you don't have one, might be easier to just drop it off to the dealer and let them adjust it.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
Belt squeal is usually and indicator that deflection is tight. however, on the 17 King Cat, you are unable to set belt deflection correct? I believe this setup has the Idler Bearing on the Primary clutch and "self adjusts" for deflection.

I would be leaning more towards an issue with offset, which can be adjusted with shims with the correct offset bar. If you don't have one, might be easier to just drop it off to the dealer and let them adjust it.

You are correct, it has self adjusting belt deflection. I questioned them at the dealer when I was picking it up why the belt rode so high in the secondary and they indicated that its due to the self adjusting deflection. I am still going to try cleaning the clutches and belt tonight by the odd change it is the issue, but I am not holding my breath.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
my 8000 has a ring of residue around the primary i notice after driving slow. i cleaned it off in between rides a few times before realizing it just appears while unloading/backing into my shop. If i jack up the back and rip it good a few times the ring is gone. so i quit wasting time/cleaner on it.
i would check your secondary offset with an alignment tool, if you can get one for that model.
However 90 miles to let the dealer look at it aint too bad imo. If he finds something anyways.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
my 8000 has a ring of residue around the primary i notice after driving slow. i cleaned it off in between rides a few times before realizing it just appears while unloading/backing into my shop. If i jack up the back and rip it good a few times the ring is gone. so i quit wasting time/cleaner on it.
i would check your secondary offset with an alignment tool, if you can get one for that model.
However 90 miles to let the dealer look at it aint too bad imo. If he finds something anyways.

That's the thing. When I start the sled and as soon as it gets to operating temp I take off or load onto a trailer there is no squeal (this was even driving it across a dirt floor in our quonset where there should be all kinds of resistance). Its only after I get it good and hot from riding down a trail or in powder that it starts to squeal when taking off.

Sorry if I am being repetitive in my explanation but I don't see why it wouldn't do it after just starting it and driving vs when its hot. But again, I am by no means an expert on clutches.

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Belt gets a lot more sticky when it's warmed up, takes at least a mile or 2 to get it fully up to temp, this is probably why it only happens after the belt is up to full temp.

nm2708

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
Mott ND
I have the same problem on my King cat. Just like you are explaining it doesn't squeal until you get the clutches good and warm. Let me know if you figure anything out on this.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I have the same problem on my King cat. Just like you are explaining it doesn't squeal until you get the clutches good and warm. Let me know if you figure anything out on this.

I tried taking mine to the dealer in Minot on Saturday and they were closed for some random reason. Drove 80 miles and they had a piece of paper in the window saying they were going to be close Saturday. I called last Tuesday and they said to bring it in on Saturday. So, calling them tomorrow and I will be taking it there next Saturday.

I even tried my brand new spare belt and it squealed once warm too. This was after taking brake cleaner and Scotch Brite to the clutches. Cat was contacted about my issue and they want to have a dealer check the clutches.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
Well I called a performance shop that also happens to be a Cat dealer and told him about my issue (I called this performance shop due to getting a call from the original dealer I was going to take it to this saturday and they informed me they were closing the doors in two weeks and didn't want to take my sled in to work on it). Within the first couple minutes of telling him what was going on he told me he thinks he knows the problem. I will be dropping it off this Saturday to let them do their thing. I will report back when I get the machine back and if the problem is fixed what the issue(s) were.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
And did he indicate that the belt deflection might be too tight?

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
And did he indicate that the belt deflection might be too tight?

He said he believes it is an issue with the bearing in the clutch used to control the deflection. I never asked him if he believes it is causing too tight of a deflection or other issues. I will be sure to let everyone know if they fix the issue and what the issue and fix was.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I called the dealer today to see if he made any progress on the squeal. He said that it took him a while to see what was going on but thinks he found the issue. He said it was the bearing in the primary used for the automatic deflection. He indicated the bearing looked fine but it would hang up and not disengage when the drive clutch went to grab the belt at takeoff. He ordered a whole new clutch for the machine. I am eager to get it back and take a trip to say the least.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I thought I would post an update. I ended up getting my sled back with the new clutch on it, but before I could ride it last year I got a recall from artic cat saying it needed to get yet another clutch put on. So I took it in before last years season began and got another "new" updated clutch installed.......it still squeals on takeoff and if I am stuck, there is no getting out without burning the belt up. I have it at the dealership again right now. I called yesterday and they indicated that everything is within spec regarding the clutches. They opened yet another case with Arctic Cat about the issue and are waiting to get a response back....I love the machine, but this is downright ridiculous....

Premium Features