• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

POLARIS OFFICAL ANSWERS TO 2014 QUICKDRIVE IMPROVEMENT QUESTIONS

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Ok - so the original driveshaft had improper tolerances, which requires a clamp.

But the new drive shaft has proper tolerances, yet still requires a clamp.

Which means that in truth, polaris has not delivered on the "lightweight driveshaft" which was promised when i snowchecked my 2013.

I have a feeling that we will start seeing driveshafts failing with the clamp by next year. IMO it's a bandaid, and if the tolerances are loose between the two pieces, eventually the inner part will wobble and strip out instead.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Ok - so the original driveshaft had improper tolerances, which requires a clamp.

But the new drive shaft has proper tolerances, yet still requires a clamp.

Which means that in truth, polaris has not delivered on the "lightweight driveshaft" which was promised when i snowchecked my 2013.

I have a feeling that we will start seeing driveshafts failing with the clamp by next year. IMO it's a bandaid, and if the tolerances are loose between the two pieces, eventually the inner part will wobble and strip out instead.

No, the new driveshaft doesn't require a clamp and is clearly explained. "The inclusion of the collar for MY14 as noted above is simply a “belt and suspenders” solution to instill confidence." Lots of people read, few comprehend. It's there still because people like you won't believe that Polaris fixed the problem. No matter how much you pisss and moan you're not going to get free stuff from Polaris because your buddies riding buddies kid's classmate read on SnoWest that "a crap load of pro rmks are twisting their driveshafts in half!"

I suggest you remove your driveshaft with the collar attached and weigh it, then do the same with an older style driveshaft. You forget that getting new sleds down to the weight they are is a game of ounces. If you're truly upset and angry with Polaris that your driveshaft isn't lighter than a roll of aluminum foil, jump on an XLT for a few hours and be grateful for the amazing piece of machinery they have provided you with the opportunity to own. Read your post again and look at how much of a whiny little b*tch you sound like. I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, and that's where I get off expressing mine. Only problem is, there are far too many opinions formed under the influence of ignorance.

don't forget I can use the bad rep button as well :boxing:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I agree with that logic. Can't please everyone. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If Polaris sends out a 2014 driveshaft that looks identical to the 13 and with no perceived or reported changes (ie collar and the same end-cap and same adhesive), who is going to believe that it's any better than the 13s?

mud99's post just goes to show that the only way people WON'T complain was if it is a total redesign for 2014. And we all know people will complain about that.

Last edited:

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
We are asking our dealers to continue to educate consumers on best practices to ensure maximum belt life:

a. Carefully follow recommended QuickDrive belt break-in procedures. Speeds should be moderate and varied.

b. Minimize power-on landings.

c. Avoid prolonged high-speed running – similar to track guidelines.

d. Allow system to cool after high-speed runs.

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time excepting this from Polaris!
I don't dought that this is there posision, I distinctly remember looking at these (2013 model year sleds with the QD) at the 2012 Hill Climbs in Jackson and the Polaris DSM said that the QD was stronger than the chain case system, well I don't ever remember my dealer "educating me on chain case practice's to extend chain case life" now I don't know everything but I have been riding Polaris sleds since the late 60's and have listened to Polaris's crap for years, I also remember how they told everyone that the trailing arm front Suspention was better than the front a-arm Suspention, a year later guess what type of font Suspention Polaris was running! Maybe it's just my age or maybe it's just what I remember when people tell me how great there equipment is, but now we know why they are not running QD on high speed trail sleds! Oops, Polaris!

PS. Did we (Polaris) forget to mention our new and improved CFI2 800, your going to love this engine! It will last twice as long as the CFI4's!

Last edited:

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
All polaris needs to do is fix the current design. However they do that is fine by me.

What makes me complain is when they talk about selling a new model year sled with a clamp added. It does not make me confident that the new shafts are bulletproof. It tells me that they are worried.

If they were confident in their new driveshaft, they wouldn't waste money putting a clamp on it.

Will they still warranty 2014 driveshafts if the owner removes the clamp since they had read on snowest that it wasn't necessary?

I agree with that logic. Can't please everyone. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If Polaris sends out a 2014 driveshaft that looks identical to the 13 and with no perceived or reported changes (ie collar and the same end-cap and same adhesive), who is going to believe that it's any better than the 13s?

mud99's post just goes to show that the only way people WON'T complain was if it is a total redesign for 2014. And we all know people will complain about that.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
All polaris needs to do is fix the current design. However they do that is fine by me.

What makes me complain is when they talk about selling a new model year sled with a clamp added. It does not make me confident that the new shafts are bulletproof. It tells me that they are worried.

If they were confident in their new driveshaft, they wouldn't waste money putting a clamp on it.

Will they still warranty 2014 driveshafts if the owner removes the clamp since they had read on snowest that it wasn't necessary?

Are you seriously asking that? Anyone who has ever modified anything and encountered a failure would be able to claim warranty work because they "read it was or wasn't necessary on SnoWest" if you were in charge. Do you think things like that out at all before you post? Whine, moan, whine, moan, whine, moan, whine, moan, go buy a Yamaha and shut up

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
From antother post

Mountainhorse:

Even if the shaft "stub" were to insert further into the shaft...putting the collar on there keeps the 2013 customers satisifed that they did not get the shaft (pun intended) when it comes to quality since there is no real way, besides cutting it open, to tell if a 2014 shaft is different.

There are a lot of factors at play with that one... in a corporate decision-tree kind of process...One that involves customer perception, warranty claims, dealer issues, liability etc etc.

Weather the shaft/stub is actually different or not.... Making the 2014 shaft "appear" the same as the updated 2013's is a very smart move from a business perspective, IMO.

Y

yooper 8

Apr 14, 2008
I am under the opinion that Polaris has done a good job with the engineering and handling of the driveshaft and quik drive system. A new belt, and the bulletin will work for 99% of riders. I rode 2013 XMs and PCs this winter, and everytime I did, I got back on my sled, so happy that I did not own a Doo or Cat. The Pro RMK is the ultimate mountain sled and I am very willing to supply a little R & D for a company that is willing to push the envelope , take some chances, and build a dedicated mountain chassis that is so close to perfect and is also more fun to ride than I could ever have imagined. Thanks for the info MH, and heres to the PRO. It is awesome.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Good that they are trying to correct the issues BUT Polaris has a huge reputation for bandaid fixes (can you say 4 cfi motors? oh lets just open the clearance to .014 on pistons so they wont stick, oops now the skirts break off, oh well new motor coming out anyway)
If the drive shaft was indeed fixed there is ZERO need for a collar on there. Belt drive needs to use a common gates
GT belt and billet hard anodized sprockets with idler gear, just like every supercharger system in the known world. Thanks for the fix but ill ride my turbo 2011 and see what 2015 brings to the table for now :face-icon-small-coo

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I agree, to the consumer... there is not a whole lot here that screams "fixed".

Polaris hates to deal with warranty claims though... and this, I'm sure, was a big thorn in their side... which provides lots of motivation to not have this happen again in 14.

BTW... Superchargers use an 11mm pitch belt also. Not so common.

They seem

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Are you seriously asking that? Anyone who has ever modified anything and encountered a failure would be able to claim warranty work because they "read it was or wasn't necessary on SnoWest" if you were in charge. Do you think things like that out at all before you post? Whine, moan, whine, moan, whine, moan, whine, moan, go buy a Yamaha and shut up

But I thought that part wasn't necessary because they fixed the driveshaft?

Seriously though, I love my 2013, but Polaris is their own worst enemy sometimes.

I'm literally amazed the 2011 pro turned out as good as it did, with so few problems. And then to top it off, my 2012 was pretty much flawless.

Then they go and release the 2013, and every part they "upgraded" ends up having troubling issues, a-arms, driveshaft, belt drive. Makes me wonder if the team that designed the pro is different than the team that redesigned it...

Then the 2014 rolls out, and it just seems like they never really sorted out the 2013, they just decided some of the fixes were good enough and left them.

BTW My previous sled was a Yamaha Apex, so I know all about Yamaha...you dont know anything about sledding until you have had to untrench a 700 pound pig...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Awesome. Thanks Eric.

I've noticed that my QD belt has some slack in it. Just enough where I can pinch the belt together between the pullies and lift the belt off the top pulley. I can almost get it up out of the teeth of the pulley, but NOT up over the tracking guide on the outside of the top pulley.

This is when the belt is COLD.

When the belt is warm, it shrinks and gets tighter. Can't pinch it and lift if off the pulley.

No BS, LESS belt deflection when it gets warm.
Loosens up and expands when it cools.
No need for a tensioner with this belt compound and length.

Discussion? :face-icon-small-ton

Found out why my belt had slack when it was cold.

Took my sled in to get the upper pulley bolt update.

When they pulled the upper pulley bolt and belt we discovered that the jackshaft bearing was toast on the brake side.

Made the secondary clutch wobble. Probably shortened the life of the clutch belt.

Hamilton Polaris only had my sled down for a couple hours. Didn't miss a day of riding.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
These are incremental fixes aimed to resolve more root cause issues, and with the added marketecture, and the usual taint of arrogance around it - '...you gotta be smarter, it's a powder sled, once upon a time we had to teach you about powder tracks, if you're a poser and ride the trails, this sled isn't for you...'

I'm sure they'll be more durable. There will still be some failures in 14. Poo wants to make a better product at the lowest possible production and warranty cost. They opened that warranty door, again, with the 'high speed' comments. In the end, they are going to do YOU few favors, it's just cold hearted business, not family or friendship. The entire CFI4 example speaks the loudest on how the company works, and it's just one example. The truth is in the middle - they are not pure evil, and they will never be your best friend.

Poo should provide every owner of a 2013 QD belt with one new, improved, 2014 QD belt free of charge, IMHO. That would be a reasonable, customer caring, good faith move that would engender stronger loyalty. Yeah, some who blew 3 would complain, sue, etc., demanding to be made whole. Dootalk, HCS, would light up with what a POS the 13 Pro is. Poo won't, it's the business, short-term profit maximization, thing again. It's impossible to satisfy everyone, the art is doing the right thing while still making good money. Poo would find this would be the 'right' thing. FYI, that's not how the vast majority of publicly held US companies evaluate or reward their leaders, including Poo.

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
"For MY14, Polaris has developed a new QuickDrive belt. This new belt runs cooler and is 25% - 40% stronger than the MY13 belt in typical deep snow riding conditions. The new belt will be available in time for the 13-14 riding season and will supersede the old part number. It can be used on both MY13 and MY14 Pro-RMKs."

The statement in bold makes me wonder...
Did this new belt make it on the Pro RMK 2014's delivered to dealers in late July and early August?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
"For MY14, Polaris has developed a new QuickDrive belt. This new belt runs cooler and is 25% - 40% stronger than the MY13 belt in typical deep snow riding conditions. The new belt will be available in time for the 13-14 riding season and will supersede the old part number. It can be used on both MY13 and MY14 Pro-RMKs."

The statement in bold makes me wonder...
Did this new belt make it on the Pro RMK 2014's delivered to dealers in late July and early August?

I take that statement as the current stock of the new belts will be slated for the '14 models first and then be available to order for replacements/back-ups this fall.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I'd like to think so too however Polaris makes some interesting decisions...
Can anyone help to verify the new belt is on the '14 sleds that have been delivered to dealers?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Seriously... the nearest local dealer still has the 14's in the crate in the back of the lot and just quoted me msrp for their "best price" while asking if I want them to call when they get the sleds assembled... hmmm sure ya fricken jackwagon... Can one of you who have an actual snowmobile dealership with a sled on the floor verify the early deliveries have the new tougher belt.

Last edited:
Premium Features