• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Confused, what all permits are required to park your truck at a snow park?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
So, moved back to WA, permanent/part time/sort of.
Anyway, looked at getting the permits online to be prepped for snow IF we ever get any.
I get the snowpark permit, but it's $40 now. Was free with sled regs before or $30, but whatever, my machines are registered in AK and I'm still an AK resident, so dropping $40 on this is no biggy. Beats the thousands I'd have to spend getting my newer stuff registered in WA.
Discover Pass, need one of them, always had one from boating activities, but still need to get one this year. But only need that for Crystal Springs (the big Stampede parking lot, correct?), Hyak (Is that Gold Creek lot on I 90?), Lake Easton, etc. Pretty sure I'd hit one of these lots with the family and need it in the summer, so may as well pony up now.
W T F is the new "Special Groomed" Pass? Can't park your rig at the same spots as the ones that need a Discover without this one too?
So for a mere $115 I get the pleasure of being semi legal to park at all snow parks, correct? Am I missing any one of them, because I don't like the 5-0 or some leaf licker wanting to check over all my Sh!t as I'm pullin in with a Coffee and Baileys in the morning! Haha.
Now I'm one of the guys that said a couple years ago I don't mind the increase in registration fees etc if its needed, but for this much $ before I even get out of the truck and drop the ramp door, the trails better be groomed like corduroy and a butler helping me get into my bibs!

Ok, to summarize, do you need all 3 of those permits to park your truck at Stampede or Gold Creek?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Hmmmmm. I need educated as well. Special groomed pass! I think they come and warm your sled up for you and keep the snow off the seat until you get on it to ride.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I'm really new to this but my understanding is that the special groomed park pass is in place of the regular snopark but you do need it in certain places. I think you're good to go with just the groomed snopark pass and the discover pass, not all 3.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Sno park pass included with registration, or like you say pay forty bucks, works for sno parks such as Crystal springs ,gold creek, etc. special groomed permit for cross country skiers etc. allows them to park in sno park in a designated area, ( if we park there we get a ticket) Discover pass is needed at DNR run sno parks such as I believe Tampico and a few others. Hope this helps, probably just adds more questions! :face-icon-small-ton

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
This tells me that you basically DON'T need a discover pass for snow parks if you HAVE an annual snowpark permit for all DFW and DNR land snow parks.

"Visitors to Washington state parks and state recreation lands managed by the Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Washington State Department of Natural Resources are required to display the Discover Pass on their vehicles. Exemption: If you have a current seasonal Sno-Park permit, you will not need to purchase a Discover Pass to use a designated Sno-Park between November 1 and March 31 for winter recreation activities. However, your Sno-Park permit may not be used to access other state recreation lands.

Please note: If using a daily Sno-Park permit, you also will need a one-day or annual Discover Pass when visiting Crystal Springs, Easton Reload, and Hyak Sno-Parks; Fields Spring, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee, and Mount Spokane state parks; and the Department of Natural Resources' Mount Tahoma Trail System. For more information or to purchase an annual Discover Pass, please visit our Discover Pass page."

And this I just found confirms that the Special Groomed sticker is only for the 2 plankers.
"*The following non-motorized Sno-Parks also require an additional Special Groomed Trails Permit:
Cabin Creek, Chiwawa, Crystal Springs, Hyak, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee, Mount Spokane, and Nason Ridge."

SO only an annual snowpark permit is needed for the snowparks is what I'm gathering now.
Always was confused and I just threw up the Discover pass I already had previous years to make sure I was good.
(To top it off I got another parking permit with my east side hunting tag a couple years ago. Don't even remember what that was. Just stapled all 3 together and hung em on the rearview anywhere I parked.)

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
So while we are on this subject of confusing rules, what's the take on kids riding.
"Children under age 12 may not operate a snowmobile on or across a public roadway or highway. Children ages 12 to 16 must pass the snowmobile safety education course and carry the certificate of successful completion with them when operating a snowmobile. Youth who operate a snowmobile under the direct and present supervision of a qualified adult need not show the certificate.

Persons 12 years of age and older who successfully complete the snowmobile exam will receive a snowmobile safety patch and a snowmobile safety certificate permitting operation."

Tells me that my 2 boys 8 and 11 can ride with me anywhere we want unless the are on or cross a public road. Does it count as public road if its closed to cars and is a sno machine trail?
Do I care? Not really.... They will both be instructed to say they are 12 if necessary. Next year the older one can get his operators card.
They were rippin up Hatchers, Petersville and Eureka last year and have been both brappin throttles since they were about 6 so......

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Reminds me why I am so happy living in Montana again! Register a trailer, sled, boat, orv, etc. one time and get your permanent sticker.
Washington has so many rules, fees and etc. it takes a thread like this to try and sort it out. Ran an electrical business there for many years and same bureaucratic excess operating my business. The state spends most of its electrical license enforcement time attempting to hassle the license, bonded and insured while the illegals work on the same projects un hassled. Immigration showed up twice in 25 years on commercials projects we were wiring and it looked like a beehive as the green card less jumped out windows and evacuated the site pronto. The joke was: even those deported were back onsite in a week or two celebrating the free trip home:)))

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Let your kids rip, mine fled the nest but can ride sleds and skin elk, and climb and ski bla, bla bla, I skied for a long time till I touched a throttle:):face-icon-small-winkf

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
This tells me that you basically DON'T need a discover pass for snow parks if you HAVE an annual snowpark permit for all DFW and DNR land snow parks.

"Visitors to Washington state parks and state recreation lands managed by the Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Washington State Department of Natural Resources are required to display the Discover Pass on their vehicles. Exemption: If you have a current seasonal Sno-Park permit, you will not need to purchase a Discover Pass to use a designated Sno-Park between November 1 and March 31 for winter recreation activities. However, your Sno-Park permit may not be used to access other state recreation lands.

Please note: If using a daily Sno-Park permit, you also will need a one-day or annual Discover Pass when visiting Crystal Springs, Easton Reload, and Hyak Sno-Parks; Fields Spring, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee, and Mount Spokane state parks; and the Department of Natural Resources' Mount Tahoma Trail System. For more information or to purchase an annual Discover Pass, please visit our Discover Pass page."

And this I just found confirms that the Special Groomed sticker is only for the 2 plankers.

"*The following non-motorized Sno-Parks also require an additional Special Groomed Trails Permit:

Cabin Creek, Chiwawa, Crystal Springs, Hyak, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee, Mount Spokane, and Nason Ridge."

SO only an annual snowpark permit is needed for the snowparks is what I'm gathering now.

Always was confused and I just threw up the Discover pass I already had previous years to make sure I was good.

(To top it off I got another parking permit with my east side hunting tag a couple years ago. Don't even remember what that was. Just stapled all 3 together and hung em on the rearview anywhere I parked.)

Is this new?
I got a $100 ticket two years ago for not displaying my Discovery Pass at a Tampico (DNR). Only a current snowpark permit was displayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
You need a discover pass in ahtanum. Little Naches etc you need only a snopark permit. I have both just for the mere fact that I use the discover pass year round because it's required a lot of places I go. I believe it's a hundred dollar ticket not having one when you need it. Worth buying just for the fact one fine would pay for the years of discover passes

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
more questions

Last Saturday I took my sled up to cold creek. I was driving through white pass and I got pulled over by a what I think was a Sheriff. Nice enough guy just doing his job. Anyhow he asks if I knew i had a burnt headlight? me: Nope, Thanks. Him:You have no plate on your trailer. Me: I don't need one I'm from oregon and the trailer is under 1800lbs. He said he never heard of it and gave me a ticket for no permit on the trailer. My tow vehicle registration expired on the tenth it was thirteenth. He said "only three days, so, just a warning".
He also said "I need to carry registration for the sled with me even though it has tags. But, again just a warning.
Also a warning for the headlight.
Has anyone else heard of getting a washington permit for a trailer being towed by an oregon driver that doesn't require licensing in oregon?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Just a small clarification. U do NOT need a discover pass to park in a designated sno-park anywhere in Washington! That is what sno-park permits are for.
However u DO need a discover pass to park in DNR's designated 'winter recreation areas', such as Tampico/ Ahtanum. Not to be confused with a sno-park.

Just remember, DNR does not have 'sno-parks' they are 'winter recreation areas' therefore they do not accept 'sno-park' permits.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Halfbrit, washington state requires a signed registration to be carried with all vehicles (including trailers, campers) when on public roads/lands.

K
Nov 27, 2007
Washington
Finish the sentence about kids?. They can ride on and cross roads as long as they are supervised by a driver. Only time they need the safety class is if they are going to ride unsupervised on a place they will interface with cars.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Finish the sentence about kids��. They can ride on and cross roads as long as they are supervised by a driver. Only time they need the safety class is if they are going to ride unsupervised on a place they will interface with cars.

That makes sense, wanted to make sure I was interpreting it correctly.
Just left it open ended about the kids, nothing else, other than they may love snowmobiling more than me! They've been on or towed behind since they were babies in car seats. Used to strap them to the driver or put the baby bucket or car seat in the Sno coach. 6 months old, could ride all day with them, they would just sleep! Now the 11 year old is big enough to start the sleds so I've gone from starting 4 machines 10x a day to only 1! Life is good.

Last edited:
Premium Features