• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Snowy Range snow conditions

revrider04

Premium Member
Jan 25, 2010
Contemplating heading out there this weekend. Yearly trip out from Iowa. So when you say explore off trail, are we talking 5-10 miles off trail? We have ridden off trail out there but never really just jump off and ride for miles to wherever it takes you. Wouldn't be comfortable doing that I guess. Is there a general area that is best to explore other than 7 fools of course? Are the trails still in good enough shape to get around on? Would ride out of Greenrock . Not quite ready to put the sled away I guess. Sorry for all the questions! Thanks

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
revrider,
Our group is from iowa and we go out a couple times a year to different locations. There is lots of open areas you can play in without venturing too far off the trail. At this time of year, you will have to go a little further off trail to get the best snow. we are going out the last week of the month and would show you around if you want us to.

revrider04

Premium Member
Jan 25, 2010
AJ1180,
We are heading out the 20th-23rd. Only days that work for us. We would have taking you up on your offer. Still on the fence as to whether to go or not. Probably gonna take a chance and go.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
I agree that now is the perfect time to explore. we have been out in may before and had a blast. you might not get perfect snow but it is still better than what you get in iowa this time of year. Where are you from.

recreationist

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Laramie, WY
Still decent riding . . .

Rode the 18th & 19th. Light snow on/off both days. 40's on Wed and mid-low 30s on Thurs. Snow is sketchy off trail on the east side until you get up to Libby Creek from the Laramie side. Lots of soft spots to disappear into mixed in with rock hard drifts :face-icon-small-dis Spring riding for sure. The meadows are starting to get open spots in the wet or marshy areas -- looks about like mid April up top. Some of the open areas are narrow/deep and hard to see until the last minute. Most of the creeks are starting to open or the snow bridges are undercut. The snow on the NW side (Quealy and old X) is still pretty decent mid day when it softens up. Snow southwest of 130 and Silver Lake is still good as well. Possible to find untracked snow if you are willing to explore new areas. Saw a few folks running the hills at Marie and Widowmaker and a few sleds at the warming hut but for the most part we didn't see anybody. 3 trailers at Chain's End and about 10 at Green Rock. Trails were in good shape getting in and going out. Spring riding in March still beats playing golf or work... :face-icon-small-ton

Snowies031915.jpg

recreationist

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Laramie, WY
The peaks are still socked in and there was about an inch on the ground in the foothills north of Laramie this AM. Might be decent this weekend :face-icon-small-hap

According to WY State Trails, trail grooming is scheduled to end this week and the warming huts are supposed to be pulled out early next week. The trail signage and snow poles will also be removed. Pay attention to your surroundings if you are used to using the trail markers and signs to find your way around...

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Went up early today before work. Had some fun. Not a deep day but more of a hero snow day with enough new to make it fun in the trees. I measured 25cm fresh snow in a meadow above Sucker Reservoir. Probably a little more further north & west. Not sure what the afternoon weather did, but the forecast for the next few days looks poor for keeping the pow around: 40 degrees and sunny..

20150326_085410.jpg 20150326_085608.jpg 20150326_091549.jpg

R

rollcontrol

Sep 13, 2008
Stillwater, Mn
Man what a disappointing run of misfortune. Hopefully a miracle April storm of biblical proportions takes place. For the sake of everyone who has patiently endured this season. It will happen.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Biblical proportions, now that is something to ponder. I just summerized my sled today but if April sees a big turnaround who knows.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We stuck a fork in this "winter" on Saturday.

Went up with my dad and brother in law to check on the cabin and get ready for the melt. Albany lot is bone dry - dirt/mud until the first switchback, then snow/snirt until the Keystone "Y". From then up there is plenty of snow on the trails and they are smooth.

Warming huts will be towed out today, trail markers up for a little while longer.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Hit the Madres yesterday, found some dry pow on isolated steep north faces. Otherwise just good spring riding. Highway in was ice, and scratchers were a must. Sounds like a storm will be rolling in Thursday, hopefully it delivers for the Snowies.

This is almost my favorite time of the season. Most guys throw in the towel so the mountains are deserted, there's a decent base up high (ok, not this season), the sun stays up until 7pm, its relatively warm, and always snows a few more times in April. Just have to be able to go the day after the storm, can't wait around or it's baked.

sabels

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2007
Flatlands
Just woke up and looked out to see 6 inches of new snow down here in Centennial. On top of the 5 they got yesterday it should be a good day again. We drove down from Togwotee yesterday as the snow there is rock solid. I think we made the right choice!

Premium Features