• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride Reviews of the ALPHA ONE

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
^i agree snowmobiler. i can see this sled wanting to turn you up hill on a steep sidehill. so you will just shoot up to the top then and wait for your buddies on their old timey heavier sleds to zig zag up. maybe tear up the next bowl while you wait.
buradnt style tree riding is not where sledding ends. look at what caleb kesterke is doing on his cat these days and how many followers hes getting.

The irony to what you just wrote is palpable. You just said burandt style tree riding is not where sledding ends then referenced Burandt 2.0 (Kesterke - who I agree is ahhhmazing).

Both are technical riders. And I bet you dollars to donuts Kesterke does not ride Alpha One outside of what Cat makes him do to keep his sponsorship.

Turn up the hill all you want. Guys don't zig and zag to be cool, but to get up stuff you can't just go straight up...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Guaranteed it is going to swap in the right conditions. Spring snow, hard snow, icy conditions. Any condition where the whole track isn't dug into the sidehill. If the whole track is dug in I think it will be better hands down. I think it will be better at the hill climbs. Look when Keith Curtis cleaned house, at Jackson, with the flexy ez ryde. This skid will be better in every way except some sidehill conditions in certain snow conditions. It's a deep snow suspension for a narrower application. It will be better than t motion because it is a rigid suspension. You won't be getting thrown around by some rolly Polly joint when it gets rough. You will be able to do things with this sled that you can't with others. People will have to weigh out what they like to do and the conditions that they mostly ride in. There is no one thing fits all. It will do everything but probably won't do everything great.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Guaranteed it is going to swap in the right conditions. Spring snow, hard snow, icy conditions. Any condition where the whole track isn't dug into the sidehill. If the whole track is dug in I think it will be better hands down. I think it will be better at the hill climbs. Look when Keith Curtis cleaned house, at Jackson, with the flexy ez ryde. This skid will be better in every way except some sidehill conditions in certain snow conditions. It's a deep snow suspension for a narrower application. It will be better than t motion because it is a rigid suspension. You won't be getting thrown around by some rolly Polly joint when it gets rough. You will be able to do things with this sled that you can't with others. People will have to weigh out what they like to do and the conditions that they mostly ride in. There is no one thing fits all. It will do everything but probably won't do everything great.

It may be good in hill climb applications, but that's like saying my drag racer is going to beat up on your track car at Laguna . It won't.

To my point, Keith didn't ride EZ-Ryde on his BC sled too often (he hated it). Articulation (keeping track on ground) can help going straight up the hill or in the RMSHA environment. Not so in the backcountry.

You will see when the ride reports really come in.

Don't get me wrong I see this thing actually having a place. But it isn't "progressive" as it is "easy". Its the "player improvement iron". Not a kickass forged blade.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
...and please report back! I see no way it doesn't. Like I said, its exactly what the video showed!

Not calling you a liar, what your saying makes sense, but I would like to ride it, may take some seriously steep terrain before we see negative effects.

From what I remember the XPs washed worse than the XMs. Fixed skid vs wobble. Wobble wins?

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
I agree with JJ0909, can't see any way that skid won't slip down on steep sidehills with lower snow conditions. The Kincaid/ McClure video Cat put out shows it doing that. But, it does look fun as hell to rip around on. For those sketchy spots when you've got to hold the steep or end up in the trees....good luck. Cats are pretty tough I guess.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Track on the ground will make a huge difference in the backcountry. That is a fact. Watch how fast it keeps spinning around and around. He has traction. Been there and done that. Normal sleds slow down after one. Gen 4 does it as good as anything and won't do it like that. I've had everything. I learned all this stuff on my own. Riding a m8. Not from some video. Sitting in a pocket and having to turn around from a stop. More traction and forward momentum. Not everything is some insane sidehill. When your track is dug in your trench is level and this will be no different. Get out and ride some other stuff. Gen 4 will go anywhere an axys will. Depends on rider not the sled. The t motion is the biggest hindrance not the flex edge because you get bounced around. This is different. As far as Keith, he made his time on the corners. His outside ski was in the air. He is just better but some was he was the only flexy ez ryde. I get why he doesn't like it in the backcountry. This is still different because it is a solid skid and yes I know it is moved to the center point. I just think you are so fixated on steep sidehills and washout and t motion. I am not claiming to be an expert. Some of this is unsure like moving it to the center or how stiff the edge of the track holds. I just believe it will be good at most things in deep snow. My bet is also, most people don't play on the steep sidehills, in crap snow, where it might not shine.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Does anyone know if this can be fitted to a 2018?
yes, but I don't think it be worth the price..... just my .02, Why is so many guys knocking what they don't know or haven't tried?! I think its nice of a company to try to move the industry forward, remember this skid has been tested sense 2012, lets give it a chance before we knock is or become biased. just my opinion.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Will someone talk about the skis.
How do they handle in crunchy snow?
No one even noticed the keel is flaired at the rear like the gripper!
Do we finally get a good handling ski? I am excited about the new ski.......

Alpha ......

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Looking to the future

Look at the polaris front frame. now hook that to this new skid.
Comments about the new skid? lays over easier. Now imagine
the engine centered in the chassis and a little higher up.
Can you say HYBRID???? Like it or not the sled you see today
IS on the way out. Sit down riding will be more of the future
of sledding with a more stand up seating style..............

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Agree to disagree.

The idea is there is flex in the system. Though how that flex is offered does change how the sled is going to ride, it is still the underlying principal to both T-Motion and Alpha One.

According to others, the Alpha One allows the sled to tip 17 degrees before the track comes off the ground. Think hard about what that means as far as what the track is "trying" to do. Is the rider using the inside rail to cut into the snow? (the leverage point on a rigid conventional skid) No. The "inside rail" is now in the center with the remainder of the loaded side of the track conforming around it. Even watching the launch video you can see riders washing out the track to make uber tight circles. Cool. For the flats! You do *not* want wash out in technical situations. I can't see how this won't want to conform to the hill, hence causing track wash. I'm open to discussion here - but rigid is rigid. Flex is flex.

My guess is it was a project with a ton of R&D and merit for certain applications. Heck, I could even see it being great in a a RMSHA setting.

But again, the fact they didn't commit to it 100% in a mountain setting, tells me most everything I need to know...

In theory I completely agree with you, I don't see the Alpha cutting an edge on hard snow like a traditional skid. It's a radical new design and for sure can make assumptions based off of other manufacturers similarities. I'm still going to give Cat a thumbs up until proven other wise. For how many years they put into this skid I don't see them releasing an incapable steep sidhilling sled but who knows besides only a few riders as of now. I ride deep soft snow 85-90% of time so this skid is pretty appealing to me.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
the price difference between the Mcat and the Alpha is what will make my decision. if its only a bit more to get the alpha that's what ill get. if I don't like it ill swap in my nextech carbon skid, 162 3" and drivers out of my sled now and put the alpha in the spare. hell, carry both in the trailer. with a belt drive swapping from regular suspension to alpha is 4 bolts on skid, 3 on brake side, 2 snap rings and whatever to remove belt drive cover. I guess not everybody has all that laying around but ill always be taking the 2nd sled anyway

$500.00 difference

Premium Features