• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro skis suggestions

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So it might be time to switch by skis out they are getting pretty beat... I only use this sled with 2 feet or more of powder.... it seems from what I read that the 10 inch wide Simmons are the best option... is control on low snow conditions what I will loose? I should be better off side hilling ect in the powder? Any other recommendations....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
I ran the Simmons 2 (10") on my Apex but wouldn't run it on my Nytro due to hard steering. I am running the Slydog PH 8" ski now and it turns easy and floats good but does push in the corners a little.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I ran the Simmons 2 (10") on my Apex but wouldn't run it on my Nytro due to hard steering. I am running the Slydog PH 8" ski now and it turns easy and floats good but does push in the corners a little.

When you say hard steering you mean on the trial/road or when carving on the hill? I am lucky where I am and only have to ride about 2 miles on a road to get to the open..

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I picked up a pair of Grippers for mine and have been very happy with them. They seem to feel more stable on rutted out side hills and they are a huge improvement on the trail. Steering effort is same as stock skis.

Haha, I just read your location also and my latest chance to try mine out was up there in your backyard. I think youi would like them up there in your area.

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
I hated the 10 inch Simmons on my Nytro they made the sled unresponsive and really hard to pull over. I didn't find the 8 inch ones much better. For all the different skis I've tried I think the stockers are as good as any.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I picked up a pair of Grippers for mine and have been very happy with them. They seem to feel more stable on rutted out side hills and they are a huge improvement on the trail. Steering effort is same as stock skis.

Haha, I just read your location also and my latest chance to try mine out was up there in your backyard. I think youi would like them up there in your area.

Thanks I have beem taking advantage of the latest dump.. that storm could have saved the year. .. I am hoping for one more...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut

One more question so the gripper is a lot more stable when side hilling across people's lines.... I find the stock ones either grab or slip when you hit the other lines but never really hold straight..

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I feel that they are better at sidehilling. I think some of that might also have to do with the difference in the mounting points on the skis. There is less behind the spindle on the gripper which might make the sidehilling easier.

That last storm was really good. It would be nice to hook up down there sometime. Awesome riding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
When you say hard steering you mean on the trial/road or when carving on the hill? I am lucky where I am and only have to ride about 2 miles on a road to get to the open..

Hard to steer on the trail, tough to sidehill and really tough to ride in crusty snow. They float like crazy and I did like them on the Apex but the Nytro is a whole different beast. The Simmons 2 are really heavy also just FYI.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Damit man so it sounds like mod for Grippers or find some stockers...;)

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I hated the 10 inch Simmons on my Nytro they made the sled unresponsive and really hard to pull over. I didn't find the 8 inch ones much better. For all the different skis I've tried I think the stockers are as good as any.

M5

I tend to agree with M5. I recently swapped out the OEM skis for a set of SLP powder pros and I gotta say the pull over effort and bump steer increased!

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Agree stockers ftw.

M5

Dec 21, 2008
I have been running what bombardier calls the sidehiller I think. My favorite ski I have tried so far.

image.jpg

Premium Features