• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS and RK Tek

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
i am currently running mds weights which i absolutely love but my engagement is way high or it feels way to high to me anyway like high 4000s but what im really curious about is is rk teks secondary kit is worth it?

S
Feb 4, 2008
Seattle wa
just a thought

has your engagement always been high? if not maybe your primary is binding. Or our primary spring might be too stiff. I dont have any experience with either weights

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
how dare u bring that into this thread.... suprisingly there wasnt much engagement when in was up the tree or else i would have made it over haha :face-icon-small-win

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Spring

MDS weights need a lot softer spring starting rate.

I have a 2010 M8. The MDS weights came set up with a spring from MDS. I believe it was a Polaris spring. (black-Dark purple) Engagement seemed a little hard and high for my liking. I used to run the AC gold spring with 68 g. AC weights and liked the low engagement. I emailed Steve and asked if using the gold spring would work OK and he stated that it would lower the engagement but would be fine. I do think that the hard engagement is a trait of the MDS weights. Not "bang" hard but you know it. Try a gold AC spring. That will lower your engagement to about 3300-3500 rpm.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
M1000 polaris black
TM8 polaris black with green stripe (I think) little higher finish.

If you over tighten the pins on the weights it will cause harsh engagement, I wound up loosening the nut so they swing free then added another nut to lock them on where I want. Worked great, I can make it crawl without spinning the track if I want, and if I need to I can hit it and it pops into gear but does not hit hard.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Weights

M1000 polaris black
TM8 polaris black with green stripe (I think) little higher finish.

If you over tighten the pins on the weights it will cause harsh engagement, I wound up loosening the nut so they swing free then added another nut to lock them on where I want. Worked great, I can make it crawl without spinning the track if I want, and if I need to I can hit it and it pops into gear but does not hit hard.

I agree on the free swinging weights. I sanded the o-rings a little in each side until the weights swung free with the nuts tight. Doesn't take too much. I have no life by the way so I have the time to sand o-rings.

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
im thinkin i have my pins way to tight haha also with that i am going to try a different primary spring

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
I am really impressed with the MDS set-up I got from Steve. Between that and one of those new timing modules from BD, my sled is twice what it was last year which would have been hard for me to imagine.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I am really impressed with the MDS set-up I got from Steve. Between that and one of those new timing modules from BD, my sled is twice what it was last year which would have been hard for me to imagine.

All you need is a kmod and you will realize what your really missing, lol

The polaris weight that is a steep up from the black spring might be what your looking for frostbite. and it doesn't seem to bind, nice and smooth

JBIZ

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2008
Saskatchewan, Canada
Just wanted to say that I too am very happy with my MDS setup. I havent run it in the mountains yet but steve sent me a setup he thought would work for me at home and also what would work in cooke. What he sent me didnt work initially (at home) but he helped alot to get my sled where it needed to be in the flatlands. A couple of spring changes and shifting around some weight and it works real nice. Thanks to steve for customer service that is second to none. If my sled works as good in the mountains as it does back home Ill be very happy! It is also proof that if something doesnt work right away dont just write it off. Every sled is different and everybodys clutching expectations are different. There is no "drop in" perfect kit.

Premium Features