• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cooler flattening 05 m7

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
cooler

2X12 on top. 2x12 under. Drive over a couple times with a truck. Really it works. Did one that way. Probably better to take to a machine shop where they have a press and have them do it.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Tell you what. Drove over mine like 15 times like that and didn't do a thing. Ended up using a big vice with a cheater bar. Worked ok. Never really got flat though.

Getting a used one from someone would be the way to go.

My .02.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
is flattening a must when going from a 153 to 162 i dont want to extend the tunnel if i can help it

Be prepared to walk. It is a curved cooler and a longer track will move the cooler to the front if it is not flattened. Most don't crack but yours will so take it to a shop. They can test it and weld the cracks. $25-30. A buddy did one on a M1000 a few years ago like stated above and it cracked. I welded it for him and no leaks sence.

Last edited:
J
Jan 1, 2008
Kens Sports has the flat cooler from a CFR1000 which is larger and its $115. If you have the scratch that might be the way to go then offload yours for half that.

J
Jan 17, 2010
emmett,idaho
thanks for all the replies i called the dealer and they looked some things up and consulted around the shop, they said it would not be an issue, m7 had a smaller cooler and i have a big wheel kit so they said there should be no issues. i will be taking it easy the first ride to be sure 100% for myself any pics or ides will still be appreciated thank you

mt st helens

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
vancouver, wa
I have seen a lot of black track marks up in my tunnel where my track has bottomed out. This is on a 162 stock tunnel. So you are going to gamble that you will never land so hard that you bottom your track out?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My opinion is that saving a few bucks will seem minimal when you are stuck walking/towing/riding 2-up and freezing your rear off! I tried straightening one of the tubes on an 05 F7, cracked and I had to buy a new one. Different I know, but alum is not meant to be bent/rebent like that.
Your 05 cooler is worth $50, sell it and get the right one, save any headaches down the road.
Hey, are you guys really bending the 05 coolers? Those have like a 60 degree sharp bent in them, not like the never arced ones. Just curious.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I would get a new shop, no offense. How is a big wheel kit going to help? It will suck the track forward a small amount so not as long, but it puts it higher where it will bottom out quicker.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I just read your post again, sorry for the multiple posts. There is a reason that Cat made 162 tunnels longer than 153 in that year. Do it right. Get a cheapo extension for it, I had one on my sled when I bought it, 153-162. Just rivets on, cooler moves back, uses longer cooling hose to fill the gap. Best way to do it is just get a 162 extension and replace it, they are $100 new, Skilaxn was selling them for $25, I have one I would sell you for $25 if you get to McCall. Drill rivets, replace tunnel extension, get some cooling hose from NAPA (I have a ton of that you can have also) and re-rivet. I just did that with my sled as I didn't like the extension on there and had the factory one here anyway.
Chris

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
For trying to get by with your "short" tunnel? 09 I think. Look through the parts fiche until you see the little flat one. 07 was long and roundy looking.
http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com/

If you lengthen your tunnel with the Cat extension, the one you have is good. (I just put an 05 cooler on my 07 M1000, it didn't hang down as much for my custom tunnel.

J
Jan 17, 2010
emmett,idaho
thanks for all the replies so it sounds like an 09 cooler would work if i dont want to extend my tunnel and if i do extend my cooler is fine. is the cooler welded in or riveted. will the 09 162 tunnel piece fit rite in? sorry for dragging this out i just want to be sure i do this rite

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
Save your money and just flatten yours. It's cake. But you need to have access to a hydraulic press. Driving over one does not work. Tried it repeatedly with a work dually. No movement AT all.
I have done 3 of them on a press with no cracks or other issues. Most auto shop have a press.

Remove the cooler. Take a 4inch grinder with a cut-off wheel and carefully cut off the mounting flanges. Then grind the welds flat/clean. You won't need any of that later. Then cut the tubes off right behind the welds from the flanges.
Now, on the press just sandwich the cooler between some 2x4's or similar (or a pc. of bar stock or some other flat pc. on top). Then, bend up, work your way around the surface of the cooler, flattening it in a couple stages.
10-15 minutes tops. Easy. Re-install. I recommend looking at an 09 or newer to see what you need to finish like.

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
thanks for all the replies so it sounds like an 09 cooler would work if i dont want to extend my tunnel and if i do extend my cooler is fine. is the cooler welded in or riveted. will the 09 162 tunnel piece fit rite in? sorry for dragging this out i just want to be sure i do this rite

I recommend leaving your old tunnel in one pc. and just cutting to the newer specs. Much less work and cost. Just buy the stock End pc., the new bumper and the cast RB brackets. And rivets as needed. get all the measurements off of a newer sled.

Premium Features