• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M series ECU flash warning.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Flashed the ECU on friday on my 11 Cutler Stage II.

Riding yesterday, I gained a low end bog when coming into boost. I had to go from .5 G to 1.5G, easy fix...

BUT... it seemed like the det sensor did EXACTLY the opposite of what this flash was supposed to do. It got more sensitive. It's possible that I need to change fuelling on top & that was the issue, but it felt like it was hitting some type of limiter. like how the det sensor used to feel when you went into limp, only difference was you could back off then re-stab the throttle & you could get it to go away. It felt to me like it kicked in way sooner than it would have otherwise though.

They claimed this was supposed to make it less sensitive, they're full of crap.

Until you hear otherwise, I'd avoid it. I'll keep people updated as to how much I can get it to go away from tuning, hopefully this is something I can get to go away but I'm not optimistic.

At this point, basically the timing modules are a requirement for my sled, I need this to go away.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Fuel controller

If I'm thinking right this flash would screw up your baseline for your fueling map with any controller. Most maps are made so the sled runs right with current settings. I would say you should ask your performance shop of your parts if they recommend the reflash. I know SLP has different pc v maps made for those who have to burn Oxygenated fuel which was one of the problems for reflash.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If I'm thinking right this flash would screw up your baseline for your fueling map with any controller. Most maps are made so the sled runs right with current settings. I would say you should ask your performance shop of your parts if they recommend the reflash. I know SLP has different pc v maps made for those who have to burn Oxygenated fuel which was one of the problems for reflash.

I talked to Dale before I did it, and in theory it was supposed to be a good thing, especially for my sled where I'm hitting the sensor daily.

Dale hadn't had any on the snow yet, and since we thought it may have been a good idea, we gave it a try.

I got to be the guinea pig... so it is what it is, no biggie.

I can get it flashed if I need to, but I'm hoping it will work well with the timing module, so that when I DO hit the sensor, then I don't go into limp, which is a good feature of this flash. I think some fuelling MAY fix it, but for others' sake I don't want to assume that, and thought I'd let folks know.

There wasn't much for open pulls where I could monitor temps/ boost levels (running around 13 I think yesterday) so it was hard to get any SOLID info, sorry about that guys. Next time I can ride where it's cleaner I'll get you guys better data.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
OK, so got some real results today...

Sorry for the warning, but if I couldn't get it figured out I wanted to make sure more people didn't get stiffed by a bad ecu.

That said... it's WELL WORTH IT, on my setup anyhow.

I had to add 2 points to the green, two to the yellow, and pulled 2 from the red. (by points, I mean two clicks, not 2 full numbers)

The issue I was having was created by too much fuel, not too little, so pulling red fixed it, but then I had to do some fine tuning to get rid of the issues that created.

Once I got it tuned in, it was a NOTABLE improvement.

I was able to run up against the det sensor, felt it limit me, then I let off a tad, & re-stabbed... and it went away. No more limp mode, no mor turning out because you hit det at 3/4 throttle... just flip the throttle... and keep going!

It might take a bit of tuning, but once you get that done, it's MUCH nicer. I was able to run about 1.5 psi more then before on the same fuel (actually I was running less octane than when I was pushing it before.)

This took me two trips out to get it dialed in exactly where I want it, but I'm glad I did.

I'd recommend getting the flash done if you tend to push the limit of the det sensor, it worked well.

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
Good to hear. My sled has the new 2011 mapping and. I am still workimg on tuning it in. . I will try. Taking fuel away with the red setting today as well as turning the fuel pressure down. Still have to decide about the timing key.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
ok, got a few weeks on the flash now, and got all the race gas burned out, to see how this does on pump.

The 2012 M8 program seems to have backed the timing WAY off in the mid-3/4 throttle area.

I've been running 11.5-12 psi on pump gas for 2 weeks now. Det sensor limitations (that I can FEEL) start at 12.5-13, and I get octn code at 13.5-14 now. The 12 program is HUGELY different from 11, at least in my results so far.

This is about 2 psi more than I could get out of it when I first got it (also have fresh top end now, so lower compression isn't a factor), and it feels very good.

I've got a slight tuning issue I think, the boost seems to come in SLIGHTLY slower than it used to, probably just me not taking the time to tune & improve it... I just hate tuning... sure do love riding though... go figure huh?:face-icon-small-hap

Any suggestions at to why the boost would be a tad laggy I'm all ears! Maybe I should think about checking clutches & replacing springs before I assume it's a tuning problem? EGT temps look great, and there's no "bogs" just not as quick to spool.

Premium Features