• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New girl from Alaska

A
Nov 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am new to riding, this is my first year. I really wish I would have started sooner. I am from Eagle River Alaska. I have a 2011 Polaris RMK 600. Really looking for advice from experienced female riders (No offense guys, I will take advice from you too). I am super commited to getting good at this. I am focusing on building my confidence and letting go of the fear of failing. Im excited to be here!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I'm surprised more guys haven't flocked here yet...regardless this is definitely a great place to learn how to ride well and meet great folks who also ride!

If you want to reach more of the female community go to the powder room and ask for advice I'm sure you can find everything you could ever want to know about snowmobiling and more here!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hi, and welcome, having taught both my X as well as our kids(both a boy and a girl) how to sled..I will see if I cant give some advise....first..what experience do you have ? any at all on a sled even trail riding? how about on quads, dirtbike or jetski riding?..and finally, what kind of riding are you wanting to learn? powder riding, boondocking, hill climbing, hucking? its all relevant to what advice you need... let us know that..and I am sure all the members would be happy to give you some pointers...thanks...mike

A
Nov 16, 2011
Hi, and welcome, having taught both my X as well as our kids(both a boy and a girl) how to sled..I will see if I cant give some advise....first..what experience do you have ? any at all on a sled even trail riding? how about on quads, dirtbike or jetski riding?..and finally, what kind of riding are you wanting to learn? powder riding, boondocking, hill climbing, hucking? its all relevant to what advice you need... let us know that..and I am sure all the members would be happy to give you some pointers...thanks...mike

Yes I have a little experience trail riding and lots of experience off roading in 4 wheelers and in our Ranger. Iv'e only been out once this season, before that I was probably 10 when I was last on a sled. First I want to learn to carve, I am having trouble with reaching my bars on left turns and keeping smooth throttle control. I want to learn it all, but I guess I will start there. Then I want to learn how to sidehill. I know its all about leaning and throttle. I keep trying to remind myself that more throttle is a good thing! I'm just trying to get used to it all happening simultaneoulsy. Thanks!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
lol..thats the hardest part..learning to trust that the machine is going to do what you tell it to...and then making your body commit to the move...ok heres the easy way to learn to sidehill/carve(cause they are the same thing, just one is on flat ground and makes you turn, the other is on a hill and makes you go straight)so find a nice swamp..lots of soft snow..as you go in a straight line, just turn the bars to lock one way or the other...what happens? the sled goes the direction away from the way the bars are pointed..use this to your advantage...now where you stand on the running boards also has a big effect on how the sled reacts..normally on a poo pro, you stand with your feet about a foot length back of being in the stirups..so stand on the sled with your feet in the stirups, look where your heel is..slide your foot back till your toe is where your heel was..this is pretty neutral position..does the bars feel comfy? too tall to short(elbows should be slightly bent as should your knees..) so riding thru the swamp again, as you turn the handlebars away from the way you want to go(counter steer)step down on the running board on the side you want to turn to,at the same time without moving your feet, turn your outside hip toward the center of the rear bumper..you can practice this in the garage..the idea as you pivot the bars and turn your hips without moving your feet is to lift the outside ski off the floor..thne countersteer the otherway and turn your outside hip again..its not about brute strength as much as it is about technique...practice this until you are comfortable in an open swamp..then start working closer and closer to the edge of the swamp and steer around any objects, small trees bumps and such..even old tracks till you are comfortable with it...try that and let me know how you do..above all else..enjoy, relax and smile..its not a contest, its not embarrassing, its about fun..when you goof..laugh about it..when you run over the boy friend...laugh about it(but dont goose the throttle as you go over him..that hurts)..oh and one more thing that beginners have a really hard time with..dont stare at your frt bumper..the sled will go where you look..so look as far out in frt as you can see, and plan how you are going to get there..

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
One thing that I demonstrate to new folks is where the sled will actually set at an angle before tipping one way or the other. On hard flat ground, (you may get help) tip the sled up on one ski until it almost balances on the edge of the track and one ski. Keep this angle in mind as that is about what you are shooting for on a good sidehill. Also, this is reassuring to a new rider that anytime a ski is coming off the snow, it does not mean that you are being bucked off or rolling over. Practice...

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
WIth the Carving and sidehilling, I have people practice by tipping the sled up on one ski and riding it that way. It's kind of like riding a bicycle. Once you get use to the balance point of your sled it is much easier to tell where it wants to be. If you go farther than the balance point and it will want to turn. Then you can start to practice on doing turns while hanging the outside ski in the air.
Straight line balance, Large circles then gradually making smaller ones.
Pretty soon you will be cranking the sled around almost in it's own tracks.

Sidehilling is actually prety easy after you get this part down of learning the balance of your sled. Just now the hill is tilted and you sled is leaning into it rather than leaning over into a flat.

And DON'T MUSCLE it learn to countersteer and let the sled do the work.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Welcome to the forums. Sidehilling will probably be the hardest to learn being a new rider. The best practice is if you are just riding across a meadow or any open area practice riding on one ski. After you can do that comfortably sidehilling will be a breeze, I even find myself riding up a groomed trail with 1 ski in the air, sometimes for a half mile or more at a time. The biggest thing is do not get disscouraged. Also always try to ride with people better than you that will continually push you to be better. You will find yourself scared at times and that is normal, just ride with people that you trust and that will help you out. Good luck, have a great season and ride safe.:face-icon-small-win

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I spent 36 years in AK, my parents still live on Fire Lake. (Riding is much better here.) ;)
I was a pure short track/race guy for a long time, I learned how to sidehill on the sides of roads out by Willow on a 93 ZR580, lol. One day I just realized that it is all about balance and countersteering to find that balance. After that I spent a lot of time riding around on one ski, sitting down and seeing how far I could go that way and steer both ways like a bicycle. Learn on small stuff, it takes the risk and fear of tumbling down a mountain out of the equation. We don't have a lot of big mountain stuff around here (I haven't even worn my beacon since I left Alaska) but it is always intimidating throwing it up on one ski when up on a hill with trees below or a long way down.
Can you still get up in the mountains above Fire Lake out of that parking lot to the North off the Old Glenn?
Chris

Premium Features