• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Broke Down Again

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I just fully scattered the motor in my alpha yesterday at around 1200 miles. Top end is locked up and sounded like a rod came through the bottom of the case. Very lucky I was above a drainage that tied back into the trail so we could tow it downhill and out as the snow was deep AF.

One of the main reasons I ditched the G4 was because Of the down time waiting for parts every time something blew on my 850. I sure hope cat has a new motor in stock for me

You have had some really bad luck the last couple of years. None are immune. Makes a huge difference when you have snow and rail on them harder. Some people don't understand that. Hope you get handled right away.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Exact same failure as my 18. My 18 went down again last weekend with 1000mi on it. This motor lasted 400mi. Haven't broke it down yet but I'm guessing the same failure as last spring where the rod to crank bearing failed and threw the rod through the case. My motor is stock minus a ti can.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I just fully scattered the motor in my alpha yesterday at around 1200 miles. Top end is locked up and sounded like a rod came through the bottom of the case. Very lucky I was above a drainage that tied back into the trail so we could tow it downhill and out as the snow was deep AF.

One of the main reasons I ditched the G4 was because Of the down time waiting for parts every time something blew on my 850. I sure hope cat has a new motor in stock for me

Had a friend who lost a motor on his alpha a month ago. Got a crate motor from cat fairly quickly. Dealer blamed it on the oil lines not being bleed when he installed his TKI belt drive. Not sure, I saw the motor and both pistons definitely were starved from oil.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Had my buddies go down too and locked up... got him out with my poo (payback for all the razzing he was giving me) got it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and the top end let go score marks on both pistons... dealer wasent exactlly shure of the root cause they said maby a crank seal went or an oil/ heat issue... but there wasent any overtemps on the computer... anyway cat gave him a crate engine and hes back up and running

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN

I dropped my sons off on a Thursday morning and had it back by the following Thursday with brand new crate engine installed . Could probably picked it up a couple days sooner. But its a mtn sled in Mn. So you should be able to get one quick.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Wow, do we need a blown motor poll like in the 850 Poo section?
Was hoping the 800 ctec was gonna be bulletproof like the ‘ol ‘Zuk was.
Like Terry says, none are immune!

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Wow, do we need a blown motor poll like in the 850 Poo section?
Was hoping the 800 ctec was gonna be bulletproof like the ‘ol ‘Zuk was.
Like Terry says, none are immune!

I have to wonder the same thing. Seeing more than a few posts of Ctec engines down. My 18 mountain cat just lost the top end due to the lower oil line coming off. I saw the light but not soon enough apparently. Cat warrantied the top end. Service guy said the only ones they've seen have been water ingestion related.:juggle:

S
Feb 6, 2013

dang...did cat get you a replacement motor ?

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
The piston skirt on my 2019 ctec 800 busted, messed whole motor up. Cat sending a new crate motor to replace. 400 miles on motor.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Question for u guys, I had my oil light come on my 18 mountian cat and it stayed on for like 5 mins ! Sled was not upside down or on its side for any amount of time! It was just normal riding conditions ! My oil level was past 3/4 full and I checked oil lines everything seems good and it ran perfect so I just kept running it and then eventually it turned off !

Anyone ever have this happen ? Machine has 250 kms and 21 hrs on it !

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
common problem due to moisture getting in connection where wires from oil reservoir make their connection to wire bundle....make sure you have oil, that it hasn't leaked out and just ride...when it gets dried out it will go away

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Question for u guys, I had my oil light come on my 18 mountian cat and it stayed on for like 5 mins ! Sled was not upside down or on its side for any amount of time! It was just normal riding conditions ! My oil level was past 3/4 full and I checked oil lines everything seems good and it ran perfect so I just kept running it and then eventually it turned off !

Anyone ever have this happen ? Machine has 250 kms and 21 hrs on it !

Just pop the oil reservoir connector off and blow it out with an air compressor.

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
thought I saw a post re brake bolts backing out and destroying clutch, but can't find it...heard story today of a riding buddies riding buddy.

I did loose a seat hex bolt in less that 75 miles...

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Ya I’m waiting on fuel pump as well... I had to chopper mine out.:face-icon-small-fro
Recoil on BO for 2 months .. FML

Guess I don’t understand this concept. Have had sleds in very nasty places break and have never even thought of calling a chopper. A fuel pump? You couldn’t find a donor sled anywhere to borrow a fuel pump from to get it out of the mountains?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Guess I don’t understand this concept. Have had sleds in very nasty places break and have never even thought of calling a chopper. A fuel pump? You couldn’t find a donor sled anywhere to borrow a fuel pump from to get it out of the mountains?

You are probably in the US and he is in Canada? It is so much cheaper to chopper one out in Canada it is ridiculous.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Think of breaking down 25 miles from the truck, hairy scary hillclimbs, tight trees, it's Saturday after hours, no parts and you leave on Sunday for a six hour trip home.
Or, engine seizes far away in an expert zone and a five day storm is coming the next day.
Non towout zones are becoming more a reality with the capabilities of these sleds. Add in the fact that half of sledders can't ride solo much less towing and doubling makes a chopper a good idea. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features