• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I Rode an Alpha and Went Back to Poo!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Catching title right?

I got to switch my 850 Polaris 163" 2.6 (500 miles, no problems at all - knock on wood!) for a buddy's Alpha 154 3". I was really impressed with the Alpha. It really handles similar to the Polaris. The Polaris front end turns a little bit easier and the Alpha rear transitions into a turn easier. But both feel similar. We know the Poo is lighter on paper, but the AC didn't feel any heavier. Power off the line goes to the Alpha (partly because of the rich low end on the 850). The Polaris is definitely stronger mid range into high. The AC sled is smoother and makes less noise. The Poo makes clunky noises coming from the secondary and QDS. The Alpha is impressive and fun to ride. If I had the coin for two sleds I'd have an AC as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention we were in deep snow with good traction. Fresh 14-20" in the last 48 hours. Lots of carving and side hilling.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yup, your title got me! I was going to point out that your title was bit misleading but, it appears you were trolling us and bagged me already! Well done!

I wonder if the ECU update was done on the Alpha how the midrange and top end power would compare to the mighty Polaris 850?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I've road 2 850s and I thought they were awesome. Never road either very long to get a real great opinion but usually first impressions are worth a bunch. The first was in really crappy, divey snow in which you didn't like much of either. My wife's t-gen 4 was the least likeable. The poo and alpha ranked about the same. The second was deep snow and they were both a hoot but the alpha is just insanely fun and easy. Probably easier than a gen 4 for effort which is crazy. The 850 still has the break over but just waaay easier than the 16 turbo I sold my buddy. The alpha just rolls smooth and has a wider sweet spot. The older I get and more I hurt, I just like that. Both great sleds.

Andrettidog, if you weeded the power out of the equation, and were looking for a sled, which way would you go? I think it's the perfect cross between a doo and poo without the bad traits of the doo

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Andrettidog, if you weeded the power out of the equation, and were looking for a sled, which way would you go? I think it's the perfect cross between a doo and poo without the bad traits of the doo

Good question. My favorite part of the 850 isn't the extra power, it's the new front end (I forget the marketing name for it). It really makes a huge difference in how the sled turns in and comes out. I think the Alpha piped/head with a narrow front end would be an amazing sled. I knew some people would bash my comments, but the torque of that new 850 is amazing when climbing. You just don't lose RPM's nearly as fast as my old 800. But it also doesn't have the "snap" you have with an 800. The 850 let's you make more mistakes because the power can come on anywhere.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Would hope the Polaris 850 would have more than cat 800. Wouldn’t be much point in the 850 then ha

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Good question. My favorite part of the 850 isn't the extra power, it's the new front end (I forget the marketing name for it). It really makes a huge difference in how the sled turns in and comes out. I think the Alpha piped/head with a narrow front end would be an amazing sled. I knew some people would bash my comments, but the torque of that new 850 is amazing when climbing. You just don't lose RPM's nearly as fast as my old 800. But it also doesn't have the "snap" you have with an 800. The 850 let's you make more mistakes because the power can come on anywhere.

No need to trash your opinion here. I like them both. I would like more time on the 850. Some people do get butthurt if you don't like what they like. I just like to hear what people think. I guess I kind of base how they ride from their opinions.

Sorry for the bad rep. Fumble finger's

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
All mountain sleds now have 36in front ends.....
I am glad poo finally went to 36.
That is my main dislike of the Axys, 39in front was so much harder to initiate sidehills than cat and doo and the balance point was so much narrower than both.
That and the track, once u have been accustomed to the powerclaw, its hard to step backwards to Polaris tracks.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
All mountain sleds now have 36in front ends.....
I am glad poo finally went to 36.
That is my main dislike of the Axys, 39in front was so much harder to initiate sidehills than cat and doo and the balance point was so much narrower than both.
That and the track, once u have been accustomed to the powerclaw, its hard to step backwards to Polaris tracks.

Good to know! I didn't realize the Alpha was a 36". Like I said, it turns great, but the not quite as good as the Poo. A lot of that could be that i was used to the Poo. My only real reason to not like the Doo as much is that it feels so different than both the Poo and AC. I would get used to it but it would take longer. When noobs ask me what sled to buy, I just tell them to pick a 2-stroke - they are all solid.

B
Jul 28, 2008
850 is super similar to riding the alpha. OP was spot on about alpha power low to mid, 850 higher up. Both are great sleds. Alpha is going to stay lighter in powder due to the monorail shedding snow.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I rode an 850 Poo last weekend. Nice sled, I was hoping for a little more power. I wanted to be impressed but it didnt happen. What got me was the price tag...15,500$ was the price of the sled I rode. I dont get it...a snowmobile does not need to cost that much. And now Alphas are going out the door for 12...probably even see 11 by the time the season is wrapping up. Just crazy money to spend on a machine.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
I rode an 850 Poo last weekend. Nice sled, I was hoping for a little more power. I wanted to be impressed but it didnt happen. What got me was the price tag...15,500$ was the price of the sled I rode. I dont get it...a snowmobile does not need to cost that much. And now Alphas are going out the door for 12...probably even see 11 by the time the season is wrapping up. Just crazy money to spend on a machine.

Just imagine what we are paying up in Canada

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

The topic has been beat down on the Polaris 4m, but the 850 really doesn't run well until around 10 hours. Mine rips although it is still rich down low. I think a single pipe (twins will be too loud) and a remap will really make something out of it. I'm curious what pipe combos are out there for AC as well.

I paid a really good price for mine, not sure you could get much better. But the problem is that Poo only did snow checks on the 850's so the price got driven up in some places. That's not right. Sounds like Poo is only doing snow check 850's for next year too.

Premium Features