• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Swap Help

C
Dec 16, 2008
I have a 04 vertical escape 800 with reverse, engine is pooched. Dropping in a 02 Rmk 700 engine with no det or reverse. My concern will be wiring as far as det and reverse go. Any way to make it work? Should I use det head on the 700? Any help is greatly appreciated.

C
Dec 16, 2008
If my research is correct, I think I can use my 04 800 head, stator, flywheel and pull start assembly on the 02 700 then everything should plug in?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Wish I could help you with the specifics, but I'll just say I'd be hesitant to swap everything onto the 700 unless you're sure it'll work. The CDIs are different just between an '02 700 and 800, and they added decompression holes in '03, which might be a factor too. Of course, if you have the harness from the donor sled, you could just transfer everything to your sled. I'm sure you'd prefer to keep reverse, but that's the guaranteed way other than finding the 700-specific parts. Good luck – hopefully someone can give you a firm answer on the parts swap idea.

C
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks for the reply, when you say donor sled harness are you talking the one from chassis to cdi? I could probably get it and go the route if its easier, should it be plug and play then? Thanks again

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Thanks for the reply, when you say donor sled harness are you talking the one from chassis to cdi? I could probably get it and go the route if its easier, should it be plug and play then? Thanks again

I'm not 100%, but pretty sure the CDI and engine harness are the electrical pieces you'll need. The connector may be the same shape, but the later one would have the connector for the det sensor and a different stator connector. You could try searching for PERC conversion, that'll at least give you the list of parts that are different between the two. If you've got the harness and CDI from the 700, you should be golden. Out of curiosity, I looked into the parts numbers, and the head and CDI are different between an 04 700 and 800. It might be physically possible to swap over the 800 CDI, stator, and harness with the det sensor jerry-rigged or taped out of the way, but it may not run right, and could burn up the engine.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
To add PERC to the 700 you need:
the 04 800 secondary clutch, the 04 left hand controls w/ reverse, the 04 main wiring harness, the 04 CDI, the 04 CDI wiring harness, the 04 flywheel, the 04 oil pump, a DET compatible cylinder head is optional. 700's and 800's have a different CDI but try the 04-800 CDI on the 700 and see if you like it. Otherwise you can buy a used 04-700 CDI on EBAY but then you may get into CDI wiring harness issues.

Last edited:

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
Not sure where you got on this conversion kind of curios myself, does anyone know the difference in the CDI between 7 and 800? I figured it was a pretty simple unit just controlling spark timing essentially?

And just to calirfy some off the above post your primary clutch should be fine its the TEAM roller secondary you would need to be reverse compatible, and the oil pump as mention since 02 oil pumps do not pump in reverse

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Not sure where you got on this conversion kind of curios myself, does anyone know the difference in the CDI between 7 and 800? I figured it was a pretty simple unit just controlling spark timing essentially?

And just to calirfy some off the above post your primary clutch should be fine its the TEAM roller secondary you would need to be reverse compatible, and the oil pump as mention since 02 oil pumps do not pump in reverse

The difference is in the timing curve.

Looking at this, you'd probably be fine running the 800 CDI on your 700, or send it to Polaris to re-flash to 700 specs.

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/for...04/299126-using-pro-x-700-perc-cdi-800-a.html

So run all the 800 ignition parts on your 700. You'll likely either need to tap your '02 head for the DET sensor, or get a 700 head with it already.

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
How do they differ from the earlier ones?

however Polaris designed them they do not pump in reverse rotation. I looked at the convertion quite a bit a few years ago basically not being able to find a cdi box from a reverse sled is what stopped me from doing it, I had an entire kit from a 600, bought the tm-40 carbs and an oil pump, cdi availability stopped me. im sure now as these sleds are 10 years older finding one would be easy, but now I have one with it factory so it doesn't matter but I heard lots of both ways stories I mean as long as you don't let your sled idle in reverse youd be fine for the 3-4 seconds your typically backing up, its that time youd forget that could cost you, ive also heard stories of people doing that and having the pump seize and shear off without your knowledge until it turns into an expensive repair, now both scenarios have no was of directly proving using the wrong pump was the reason for the oil pump failure but why take chances, I was told ANY oil pump on an 03 or later sled was reverse capable regardless if the sled had it factory. so its just the 2000-2002 VES pumps youd want to shy away from if youd ever replace one

Premium Features