• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine build...rods&pistons, or just pistons, or?

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
If you just run low boost, I'd just do low compression pistons. If high boost, low comp pistons and carillo rods.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
At that level you need nothing. Head shim is all you require. That kit is 100% engineered to run strong at your elevation on pump fuel.
If you were to ever go beyond the 17-19psi threshold you may consider it. I have run over 80,000k on multiple MCX boosted sleds all with stock internals.
The only guy telling you to change rods is the guy selling them. ;)
Cheers

X
Oct 8, 2009
If you crack open the block, do them both since you are there. The cost is worth the insurance if you are already paying for a tear down and engine rebuild. But, you gotta balance the rotating assembly. Otherwise, go back to stock, leave it alone, and ride it. Those motors are wicked in stock form plus a head shim operating at the right rpm. The one thing that is not said is a built short block is not bullet proof on the apex. The open deck cylinders become a weak point and you can oval a cylinder if you get crazy with the boost. I would follow Randy's lead. Don't touch it because more power is not required to climb big chutes and you can spend a boat load chasing more power.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2007
TORONTO, ONTARIO
so a year ago I did do low comp CP pistons (from Hurricane)(2 stock head gaskets, NO shim) and chinese rods! Sled ran flawlessly.

Attachments

• received_169634440656115.jpeg
    received_169634440656115.jpeg
    832.3 KB · Views: 18
Premium Features