• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

swamped 4stroker

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I know this isn't a yammy {and yes I posted it in the cat section as well} but for questions on a 4stroke you are the guys that have the answers I need so hear we goooo!!!

buddy swamped his 2014 xf 9000 sp ltd in a creek and im thinking about getting the buy back{insurance claim} it will probably be about 1500$
the dealer said they could only make it run with starting fluid but they didn't even empty the water out the tank
yuck.gif
so theirs no doubt in my mind I can get it to run... my ??? is if any of you have dunked one of these 4stroker turbo sleds and successfully brought it back to life? if so were their any tricks/tips besides the basics that I need to know, were their any gremlins that showed up down the road? I have done this to a many of 2strokers{and a few 4stroker quads} but this will be the first 4stroker sled I've done so any thoughts on the deal would be appreciated
present.gif
thanks in advance
present.gif
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
progress.gif

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
yea im concerned about the fluids not being changed/flushed that's what im doing tonight! puled 5 gals of water and 5 gals of gas out the tank, put heat and vp injector cleaner and about 3 gals of fresh gas in it and primed the pump a few times to try to get the water out the lines. going to drain the oil in a few minuets and fill it with some cheap 10w30 {or the lightest weight oil I have on the shelf} and engine flush and see if it starts up so I can get to flushing the system. any ideas on what I can do to flush the turbo { rinse the bearings} I don't know if they are ceramic or not and don't know if it would make a difference...any thoughts?

thanks again.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
well got it started up and it sounds new still but I would guess if theirs problems with the motor it will show up in a few hundred miles. the turbo still has a clean wind down when the sled is turned off so that's reassuring! but not counting my chickens yet :) . the oil needs changed a few more times but I ran through all the oil, engine flush and marvel mystery oil in the shop so its going to wait till tomorrow. the relay/fuse box was absolutely clean and dry in side it was pretty surprising! all the connectors/pins looked clean and good so I just blew off the back sides of the plugins with compressed air as I saw no corrosion...yet! if their is any thing else that any one can think of that might need checked or changed post it up!! thanks always!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
just figured I would give an update on the swamp monster! still running good no new problems have popped up and actually just the opposite the other day I started it up and the display came on and is working again couldn't believe my eyes!

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
You probably won't know if it's ok until you get it under boost. How long did it sit? I'd be worried about rust spots on the crankshaft/con rods.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
the thing sat a week before I got to finish the full cleanout on it. puled the plugs the next morning {after the dunk} and turned it over with some oil in the cylinders and that's as far as we wanted to get until the dealership got a chance to deem the thing a total loss {well 19.000$ in parts and labor} it seems to be running good so far but I still have my concerns on the long-term reliability! the owner said if I side his shop 25ft x 25ft its mine so even if it goes tits up after 2-3-4 thousand miles it was only about 2 days of work .... besides I ride 2smokers and that sounds just like what im used to :D

Premium Features