• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mcxpress scavenge pump

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I built a custom rear mount turbo on my nypex and I am using the mcx scavenge pump. However, the pump is not pulling any of the oil out of the turbo and its dumping out the exhaust.

Any suggestions?

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Probably the cross pin on the bolt holding to the pump shaft. But double check for kinks in the oil line as well. Never really heard of one going bad so should be something easy. Some more info here:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/mcx-mechanical-or-an-electrical-oil-scavenge-pump.62951/

Turns out the outer cross pin (pump side) sheared off on both sides and left pieces in the gear. Sad part is the pump is brand new....... Any thoughts what would cause this?

peakperf

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cranbrook, BC
We had a Vector shear off a couple of these pins, there was a slight burr on the edge of the inner pump mandrel (star shaped). When the cover was tightened on with the 4 screws it would occasionally "catch". We figured that it would jam and then shear the pins. We cleaned up the edges on it with some fine emery cloth on a piece of granite, similar to decking a head. No more issue.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
What I meant was, is how does the oil exit the turbo? Do you have a catch tank or just an oil return line. For the system to function properly it is best if the oil enters a little tank before it gets evacuated via a hose. The tank needs to be vented with a line that goes forward to high point.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
What I meant was, is how does the oil exit the turbo? Do you have a catch tank or just an oil return line. For the system to function properly it is best if the oil enters a little tank before it gets evacuated via a hose. The tank needs to be vented with a line that goes forward to high point.

Sorry read that too fast and completely wrong.

Yes I have a small tank but I did not have it vented. So when I put the mcx pump back on, it will be vented.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Any pics of how amd where you.mounted the Tilton pump

The tilton pump is mounted up in the nose of the nytro. I have it in the small space that heads back towards the steering components. You can put it there horizontally or mount it vertically in the tip of the nose with the 6AN fittings on the bottom. The tilton pumps seem to get good reviews as a scavenge pump. It has been used as a differential cooler pump on vehicles for awhile.

The good thing is it's self priming up to 8 vertical feet and does not draw a lot of juice. The bad part in my opinion is it weighs about 4 lbs with hoses etc, hence why I want to use the mcx.

Premium Features