• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Apex engagement rpm

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
Hi Guys,
Just wondering what everyone was running for clutch settings.
I am running about 4200 rpm engagement, (260 HP MCX rear mount) and from what I can gather, this is the MTX setting for altitude.
Being that this sled does not lose power at elevation, I would think that settings closer to sea-level, or whatever would be better for rideability.
I find the sled seems to come on pretty hard.

Thank you for your comments.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
That's about where mine engaged at. Didn't seem to harsh at engagement. Sure was easy on belts. Only ever changed a belt on an Apex for the hell of it.

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
Wondering

Just wondering what effect lowering the engagement will have on spooling up the turbo. I am trying to make it easier to boondock.
Anyone have any ideas.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Making sure belt deflection is on the snug side helps create a smoother transition into boost. I know when they get worn its like jamming into a higher gear and tends to "slam" into engagement and dig holes. Proper adjustment will create a buttery smooth engagement and allow for good boondocking even on high HP sleds.

J
Nov 27, 2007
shift

the primary springs are not expensive, you could try a step down on initial pressure just stick with the same rate and your top rpm will be there . having said that the more you load the motor at low rpm it will tend to slow down the spool. julio

M
Jan 14, 2004
I've run it both ways with BWB primary springs, I find the 8BU style too light in the heel so they act like an on/off switch. My preference was for a weight that has a lot of heel and mid weight to lower the engagement. It will really increase the grip on the belt down low so you don't need to be on the throttle so hard at start up. It may slow the spool but that's not a bad thing with the Apex. Love that motor.

M5

Last edited:
V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
Spring rate

the primary springs are not expensive, you could try a step down on initial pressure just stick with the same rate and your top rpm will be there . having said that the more you load the motor at low rpm it will tend to slow down the spool. julio

I have the softest spring in there in the blue-white-blue, so I will have to add wt to the fly wts once I determine what I have in there. Its over-reving anyways, so something has to be done. :)

V
Apr 10, 2008
Enderby B.C.
8BU mis-info

I now see that I have 8BU flywts, loaded up, with the smallest rollers(stock), so I have no adjustment. Total weight is about 59 grams.
I have been doing research, and there is a lot of mis-information on the internet, so I went to the expert at Alpine Motorsports and he set me up with daltons, at 75g each to start.
How or why this machine was setup this way is beyond me.:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features