• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ProCharger on a Nytro motor??

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So I am planning on doing a NyPro build this summer, and am looking into either a supercharger or a turbo. I would love to stick a procharger on one and have a clean, light, simple supercharger kit. Has anyone done one? If so, what size procharger? Also, I would like to have a custom built bracket for it to mount to the mag cover kinda like how speedwerx does theirs on the two strokes. Thoughts?

I know a turbo would easier and make more top end power, but I want instant throttle snap for tree riding. If this sounds like it would be too much of a PITA, I will just stick a kpa oiless 2863 divorced wg turbo and hope that will generate great throttle response. Also be easier to fab up in the pro chassis. Another question, how would a "log" header design work for a nytro with a turbo? Exhaust clearance is tight on the pro with the nytro motor.

Duramaxheaderstopview.jpg

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
have only ever seen one log header done & it didnt work very well,slow throttle response & lost power compared to a tube header.
there has only ever been one other supercharger & that was thunder race engines twin screw,guy went out of business.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
The "log" style header is not usually considered ideal for performance. It's cheap to build in the auto world, but leaves quite a bit of performance left on the table. Equal length tube headers is more ideal but sensitive to length and diameter.

EDP

Lifetime Membership
The "log" style header is not usually considered ideal for performance. It's cheap to build in the auto world, but leaves quite a bit of performance left on the table. Equal length tube headers is more ideal but sensitive to length and diameter.

Equal length not as beneficial when talking about forced induction. Minor gains if any at all.

For the Procharger Model you would want a B1 but it needs to be clocked properly to work with oil slinger.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Any reason to not just do a MPI supercharger on the nytro motor in the Poo Chassis? You can get a vector stage 1 kit and develop your own fueling if you want. I have a vector motor in a ski doo chassis that I have not finished yet that I have a supercharger on.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Not sure why you'd want to reinvent the wheel. MPI rotex charger kit is built for the Nytro 1049cc and has quite a bit of flexibility.

Sounds like a fun project!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
turbo it, the 3 cylinder is so easy to build headers for as you can just sort of just merge them all straight together into the turbo. Header ends up only like 6" long, super strong and flows well.

If you do stock compression with mild boost levels and a good turbo kit the thing will tear your arms off out of the hole. and makes insane top end.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339501&highlight=nytro

That is a thread, we built a custom turbo nytro for a customer 2 seasons ago and the kit was simple but made some SICK power. Its not just the raw top end that is wild on the sled. it flat grabs the belt and goes instantly. I could not ask for a more fun powerband on a sled. Although 300 HP gets to wearing you down pretty quick! lol

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Thanks for the advice! So was the larger 3071 turbo quick to spool? Seems like it would be a bit more lazy. Also, I have been told that the nytro needs to have a min. of 16" long runners to prevent heat buildup in the head. I plan on building a wrap around header that exits the stock pro location. I know a turbo will be easier to install, but my main goal is instant, consistent throttle response, no lag what so ever. Every turbo'd nytro I have tried so far still have some lag that I don't want. But none of them were the short header run or divorce gated turbos.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I cant speak on the header length issue. Most of the best running nytro's ive seen all have similar header layouts as the one we did.

The 3071 with the .64 Tial exhaust housing and external gate flat screams out of the hole. That coupled with a nice healthy plenum directly into the large intercooler core provided smooth throttle response every time. Efficient system layout allows a larger turbo to be lit equally as fast on the bottom then results in a lot more linear powerband instead of the lag then massive hit that inefficient kits with smaller turbos run into.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Cool, thanks for the info. Maybe I will mirror your build specs on this. Next question: A2A intercooler or W2A? The A2A is simple and light, but could pay the price on efficiency of heat transfer. W2A is more efficient to extracting heat, but comes at a price of weight and complexity... Thoughts?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
after running both a2a & wta i will take the w2a every time,there really is no comparison in how smooth & consistent the power is from the w2a.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i guess, my biggest chosing factor would be how much boost you want to run. If you build a good kit that drives a nicely sized turbo and the sled is fairly light (pro chassis) then 8psi is pretty wild. they go most anywhere. I know my buddies Pro-Pex he built only runs 5.8 psi with his tial setup and its pretty freakin fast, its not a mega chute climber but its more then capable to do just about everything.

At these boost levels I have a hard time justifying W2A. If your building the thing for light weight and reliable, I would be half tempted to just run non intercooled with a bigger turbo and cold air intake. Yes more performance can be had with A2A or better W2A, but you have to descide whats more valuable, massive power or light. and when you start throwing extra 5# here, 10# there, the sled suddenly weighs as much as a nytro again.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Cool, thanks for the advice. I will have to weigh the options and go from there. But ya my biggest priority will probably be handling, power, consistency. So I would love around 200 hp with killer bottom end throttle response and rtr weight of under 600lbs.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i guess, my biggest chosing factor would be how much boost you want to run. If you build a good kit that drives a nicely sized turbo and the sled is fairly light (pro chassis) then 8psi is pretty wild. they go most anywhere. I know my buddies Pro-Pex he built only runs 5.8 psi with his tial setup and its pretty freakin fast, its not a mega chute climber but its more then capable to do just about everything.

At these boost levels I have a hard time justifying W2A. If your building the thing for light weight and reliable, I would be half tempted to just run non intercooled with a bigger turbo and cold air intake. Yes more performance can be had with A2A or better W2A, but you have to descide whats more valuable, massive power or light. and when you start throwing extra 5# here, 10# there, the sled suddenly weighs as much as a nytro again.

most definitly at 5-7lbs no intercooler is needed but above that if you are going to run a intercooler its a small weight penalty for the w2a vs the a2a.
intake temps are so consistent with the w2a it makes tuning so easy,whether your running 5lbs or 20lbs you dont get heat soak tuning issues.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if hes shooting for 200hp range then I would say honestly say No IC. just a good cold air intake, under hood intakes do really stupid things to tuning just the same as poor intercooler designs.

Premium Features