• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Gauge Not Working?

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Well, I got the sled off the mountain after my spider exploded. Had to probe for it after 4 days up there. Engine bay was half full of snow. Got a loaner clutch on and now my gauge quit working. I have it in the shop right now drying out. I took apart every electrical connection, blew it out and di-electric them over again. I also cleaned the spedo sensor.

The back-light works, but the spedo is stuck at 25MPH, and there isn't anything registering on the digital side. The gauge doesn't cycle like it normally does at startup. Other than that sled runs great, rode till I was low on fuel. Any idea what this may be? I've got a new clutch and weights coming, would be nice to know what rpm's I'm turning when they get here.

Sled is a 2010 M8 Sno Pro

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I had the same issue on my 09 hcr, and it turned out to be a wire in the harness that rubbed through and shorted out in the area you run the harness under the hood pin. I bet if you pull on the harness the gauge will blink on and off. Also try unplugging your brake light and see if that does anything. tim

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
I had the same issue on my 09 hcr, and it turned out to be a wire in the harness that rubbed through and shorted out in the area you run the harness under the hood pin. I bet if you pull on the harness the gauge will blink on and off. Also try unplugging your brake light and see if that does anything. tim

Tried this, no luck. I should be riding with a few other M series Saturday so I may try swapping the gauge before I start tearing into the wiring harness. If its not one thing...its another. Hopefully someone else will chime in, hope to get it fixed.

Wood heat should have it nice and dry by morning, shop looks like a lake right now :face-icon-small-con

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I think I would look at wiring in case it is a short and fried your gauge. It would suck to have to buy two gauges. Hopefully something is just wet and will dry out then continue working.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Didn't help drying it out, snow is too good to sit here and frett over it. I'm going riding!

Anyone have any other ideas?

I'll take into consideration the short, Don't want to short my buddies gauge.

Thanks,
Rob

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Well, either there is a short, or the gauge is going...The gauge went in and out a few different times today. Towards the end of the ride the back light went out so I just unplugged it to avoid burning something up if it was shorting out.

Interesting side note...If you unplug your gauge, when you shut your sled off...your tail light stays on for 30 or more seconds before slowly dimming out? :face-icon-small-con There must be a capacitor somewhere building up the juice the gauge isn't using?

I'll tear into it when I get some time and report back. :face-icon-small-coo

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
It was the gauge...

Tore the entire wiring harness out and tested it, Everything looked good. Tested the gauge on my buddies sled and the gauge doesn't work. Anyone else experience this? Something wrong in the gauge thats fixable or just get a new one?

FYI When I redid my bars and controls wiring a few weeks ago...I wired the high and low beams on the headlights together for brighter lights? Think this may have caused this issue? I think the stator has more than enough power to operate both considering you can run koso's, AF gauge, lead dog light ect...? :face-icon-small-dis

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I had a gauge crap out not too long after getting my sled in 09'. Warranty replaced it. It was due to moisture that got inside cause of a crap seal and shorted it out. I cant see the head lights being the issue since its seperate wiring from the gauge other than the hi beam indicator. If it would cause damage, your lights would quit working, not your gauge.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
I had a gauge crap out not too long after getting my sled in 09'. Warranty replaced it. It was due to moisture that got inside cause of a crap seal and shorted it out. I cant see the head lights being the issue since its seperate wiring from the gauge other than the hi beam indicator. If it would cause damage, your lights would quit working, not your gauge.

I pulled the gauge apart, it was defiantly moisture inside the gauge. There is no o-ring seal? There didn't look to be any way to keep the moisture out to me at all. I am going to try to really dry it thoroughly and see if it will work

If anyone has a 2008 or newer sno pro gauge, preferably with 1800 miles or less please pm me with a price!

Thanks,
Rob

Premium Features