• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 M-7 drive clutch

mt st helens

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
vancouver, wa
Is the ring bolted to the back of my drive clutch for balancing or to make the back of it more ridged or both? Why do the newer ones not have one? Can I run mine without it? How much weight will I lose? How many RPM's will I pick up? When will my yellow lab stop acting like he had a bowl of crack for lunch?

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
It is there for harmonics to prolong crankshaft life. You can take it off if you choose, and it will rev a little quicker but you will gain very little if any in peak rpm. The new clutches are smaller in dia. than the original and don't come with
the ring. I wouldn't put the ring back on the new one unless you rebalance. Stop slipping mickeys in the dog dish and the behavior will change.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Yah, it is just there if it was designed to be. On the Sno Pro 440 sleds that had them, they said NOT to take them off in the race manuals. The general consensus here (SW) on my 04 King Cat was that you can take it off. Either that, or Cutler told me to take it off when I put his engine in, I don't remember now. I know I ran without it all last year with no issues.

mt st helens

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
vancouver, wa
It is there for harmonics to prolong crankshaft life. You can take it off if you choose, and it will rev a little quicker but you will gain very little if any in peak rpm. The new clutches are smaller in dia. than the original and don't come with
the ring. I wouldn't put the ring back on the new one unless you rebalance. Stop slipping mickeys in the dog dish and the behavior will change.

So I am replacing old clutch with a new one and you are saying only put the ring on if I have the new clutch balanced first? Is that because they were balanced at the factory with the ring on? Crank has lasted five years now on boost and I have finally worn out the bushings in the old clutch.

Last edited:

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Yes, the original was factory balanced with the ring. If you are replacing the clutch, I would leave it off or if you want to put it on then balance it with the ring.

mt st helens

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
vancouver, wa
Okay, Thanks I will go with no ring and if I blow a crank out this year I will deliver you a little yellow doggie and then you can tell your friends what a pile of poo looks like with fresh drive belt in it! (he ate two last year)

Premium Features