• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'03 Vertical Escape Stator

M
Nov 28, 2007
I have bad water pump seals. To get to these I need to remove the recoil cover, then get the stator off so I can remove the recoil housing. How does a person remove the stator? Do you need a special tool or something similar? Once I get the stator off I can remove the 4 bolts holding the housing on and then take apart the water pump and replace the seals and bearings. This stator is kicking my rear right now. I think I will need to get a puller of some sort, but as of now I am just looking for some assistance? Thanks.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
you need a puller for the flywheel, make sure you use the correct puller, the stator just unbolts

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Yes, like he said. Be sure you get a good puller. I got a good one from HPE but slp has them. If you then get it as tight as you feel you should go and a light tap with a hammer doesn't make it let go I have found a little heat with a torch helps. (There is locktight on the flywheel when mounted) Also watch the lenth of the bolts you use for holding the puller on. I have seen damage to the stator done from too long bolts. Also, one of those little 1/4" rechargable drill drivers turns those allen screws out of the stator nicely without stripping the head. Be sure to buy a new mag crank seal while you are in there as well. As long as I have babbled on this long, you will also need a special tool to install the mechanical seal for the water pump. It can be done without ( I did it ) but I don't even recomend me trying to get away with that one again. Good luck!

M
Nov 28, 2007
Any idea where I can pick up that specialty tool for the mechanical seal on the water pump? I did a quick search on HPE website and didn't find anything, but it was quick and good chance I missed it or didn't look hard enough. Otherwise I'll call the Polaris shop and see what they have. Thanks.

Premium Features