• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hello From Washington

J
Oct 23, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
Hello everyone, my name is Julie and I live in Lynnwood, WA. I have never ridden I snowmobile in my life but that did not stop me from buying one this summer. :D Both my husband and I ride street bikes and were looking for a hobby to get us through the winter months. Snowmobiling seemed liked the reasonable thing to do so on the hottest day of the summer I purchased a RMK 600. I have had a new toy for months that I have not been able to play with! Maybe this weekend. :rolleyes: Since then we have collected another sled for my husband, beacons, shovels, and probes. We also took an avalanche safety class at the snow expo. I can’t wait!

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Right on. I admire your sense of adventure. Snowmobiling takes alot of technique, so don't get too frustrated if you get stuck alot in the beginning. Go with a couple of freinds at first if at all possible. They could be a big help. BUT, the better you get, the better you want to get. It's very addicting. Happy to have a couple of newbies to the sport. Good luck.

J
Oct 23, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
Thanks! The street bike frustrated me at first so maybe I will have more patience learning this sport. :rolleyes: Unfortunately the only friends we have that snowmobile live in Alaska so it well just be the two of us for now.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Welcome!

Popular areas are good places to start. You can also 'meet' people here, and see if you can find folks that are willing to ride with you and share some tips. As 777 mentioned, there is a lot of technique involved, and you can get frustrated easily if you expect to already know the little nuances. I'm by no means a pro, but I'll ride with you. When I started, there were folks that took the time to help me out. My wife and I live in Marysville, and the Schribers meadow snow park is reasonably close, with plenty of terrain to choose from, from ez to Kra-z. :D

PE

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
Welcome to the sledding world, you two picked your new addiction in the middle of summer??? Right on! And I would try to meet up with a group that would be happy to help some first timers out. You'll learn lots in one time out, either way you'll catch on, besides its all about having fun anyways.

J
Oct 23, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. We would appreciate any help that is offered. :face-icon-small-hap We are hoping to find some snow this weekend. We were looking at Crystal Springs but do you think Schribers Meadow would be better?

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Welcome to the addiction! Perhaps one quick way to find riding partners is to join a local snowmobile club. Most clubs are very welcoming and are usually quick to help out newbies. Many also have family club rides where the riding is fairly relaxed which will give you time to feel more comfortable on your sled, while still having many people who can provide advice on riding. Finally, though I'm not a bike rider, my sense is that bike riders tend to get comfortable on sleds quickly as they are used to moving their body weight around to help manuever their vehicles. The same is true with a sled.

R
Jan 9, 2008
Port Orchard, WA
Welcome to a new addiction!

I highly recommend joining a club - that way you can meet people to ride with, and learn from.
Washington State Snowmobile Association website
http://www.wssa.us/

So, did you get gear as well? Remember that cotton is NOT good in the mountains.

Also, take an avalanche course!

And be prepared to be sore.... Digging a sled out is hard work. :)

J
Oct 23, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. We did take an avalanche safety coarse and joined WSSA when we attended the snow expo. We will be looking for a longer more advanced avalanche coarse once my schooling ends in 5 more days! We did get good gear. I learned with riding motorcycles that my level of fun goes down substantially once my gloves and boots fail. ;)

Premium Features