• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Special Power Problem

C
Jun 21, 2008
I am posting for a friend that has a 2000 600 and 500 Powder Special with the same electrical/carburation problem. Both sleds bog out at mid range rpm going down the trail and in the powder when you try to get on it hard. I say bog out, but it is more like you have hit the kill switch. They completely die like all power has been shut off. If you let up on the throtle back to the idle position and then get on on it again, the power is back. It is not like you can feather the throtle and make them run. Trail riding is very hard and powder riding gets you stuck all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

W
Sep 7, 2008
I am posting for a friend that has a 2000 600 and 500 Powder Special with the same electrical/carburation problem. Both sleds bog out at mid range rpm going down the trail and in the powder when you try to get on it hard. I say bog out, but it is more like you have hit the kill switch. They completely die like all power has been shut off. If you let up on the throtle back to the idle position and then get on on it again, the power is back. It is not like you can feather the throtle and make them run. Trail riding is very hard and powder riding gets you stuck all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BY pass kill switch and see if that gets better cats had that trouble

Feb 15, 2008
I think those had air intakes down by the footwells? I would check that first and make sure that isn't getting blocked off with snow.
Is it efi? Could be the low speed stator coil for efi... had a bad low speed stator coil on a '98 powder special and it wouldn't run worth beans in the mid range.

S
Dec 11, 2007
Froid, Mt
I had the same problem with the 2000 ps600 I owned. It turned out to be a bad stator. There is a way to test them to see if they are bad. Your local AC dealer should have that info. Good luck.

Premium Features