• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any rumours?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con
...and it comes stock with one of those snow jacks for getting it unstuck so you don't have to see the chiropractor every Monday. :p

I don't want 4 stroke. Thanks but no thanks. I would love to see a slightly narrower, 440#, simplified machine. Same motor, same track, same bat channel. Just lighter, narrower, and simpler.

Now if you could do all that in 4 stroke turbo and it's not attached to a snowbike....I might have to rethink my wish list.

:face-icon-small-con???? what were you smohing when you did this post???

you want or dont want or not sure??????

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
900 ACE turbo, 190 HP and a 174?

I've looked at this a lot for close to a year now. Most builders and people who have had that motor apart say it's good for 175-180 with a stock muffler...add a freeer flower muffler and I would expect to see 185-190 like we did with the 1200's. I'm seriously looking into building one with a 156 x 3 for next season. Since we ride a lot of prairie terrain as well, going much longer than a 154 is too large of a tradeoff and would need a track swap as it is.

In one of my notebooks that I keep all of my build logs in, I've roughly figured out what I could drop the weight down to on a 900 ACE. I figure I could be at the same weight as a Summit 154 Etec with electric start.

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have been a Polaris guy for 16 years and I currently own a 13 Pro with an X3 track. It is a good sled. However, I spent time on a 154 XM in Island Park last week. It may be heavier but it doesn't ride like it is. I thought that it was easy to ride once I figured it out. It transitions on powder turns better than my Pro. It turns uphill better than my Pro. It sidehills very nicely even though it is a little wide in the front. Changing that would be nice. I liked the motor a lot. It is very linear. It reminded me of an electric motor in that regard. I am going to have to get a ride on the new Polaris before I decide what to do. If it is as much better than the Pro as they say it is (those who have been on it), I will have a tough decision to make. A week ago, I was ready to get a T3 (not sure which track length). My dealer has a really nice demo with the belt drive mod and a Diamond S Titanium Quiet can on it. Both of those things drop a considerable amount of weight off of the T3. I can live with the weight at that level. I may try to buy it unless the 16 is radically different. Decisions, decisions. Have a good day Doo riders.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I be smohing nothing. Just kidding. I don't want a 4 stroke unless you get one in at about 440#. If that can be done, I could be persuaded for sure. I am95% sure I am moving to Ski-doo next year. Already come to terms with their being a little more weight to deal with. If they go 4 stroke that would be a lot more weight to deal with and that is a trade I am not willing to make at this point. At some point I would believe that somebody has to move the 4 strokes into a closer competition with the 2's. They did it successfully in the dirt bike market so I would believe it has to be coming somewhat soon for the sleds. Put 2 YZF 450's together in a sled and let me know how it works with boost. Probably quite nicely. Like the Suzi/Cat 1100T. I guess we have 3 weeks and we'll know for sure, right? February 23rd I think is the date.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
With new sled coming in 17, I can't see anything big in 16... incremental changes. Maybe a few hp, drop a few lbs (on paper, but likely 1/2 what they claim like usual) and then... whoa... THEN some serious BNG, like... ORANGLE side panels, with BLACK hood... serious stuff.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
With new sled coming in 17, I can't see anything big in 16... incremental changes. Maybe a few hp, drop a few lbs (on paper, but likely 1/2 what they claim like usual) and then... whoa... THEN some serious BNG, like... ORANGLE side panels, with BLACK hood... serious stuff.

Orangle??? Can that color dangle? Lol.

You have reliable reports of a new chassis in 17?
Cmon skidoo! Step it up a year. Steal poo's thunder. I dare you!

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I bet that RT Motor doesn't weigh more than 22# more than the current 800 motors..Eliminate the stock suitcase like we already do and you just saved at leas 15#.

DPG

I miss the arm stretching capability of my 1 litre too, but she was a dam sight heavier than the 800. Shipped one with the primary minus the Y pipe and throttle bodies... shipped at 135 lbs

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I normally would say that there won't be much new this year because of the T3 success and 17 coming up but 2 things make me think it could be this year.

1. I am pretty sure, but not positive, that Ski-doo motors already meet 2017 standards
2. The Axys being released means loss of market share if they stand pat.

Rumor is that Cat is up to something for this year too. Personally, Cat should build the chassis for Yamaha motors, clutches.... I guess we'll see in a few weeks for sure but I love this time of year. Anticipation is fun but disappointment sucks!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Orangle??? Can that color dangle? Lol.

You have reliable reports of a new chassis in 17?
Cmon skidoo! Step it up a year. Steal poo's thunder. I dare you!

YES ORANGLE is a color... can YOU orangle??? That's the real question.

As to 17... ask where doo does R&D for mtn sleds ;) I'm sure there's another spot, but one is right here near us. Unless I'm getting my peter pulled, I consider it 100% reliable. Thing for me is though... what is "new"? The XM was a big difference, but it wasn't "new" by any means, just another incremental change. I've been hearing this since before last year though, so I'd assume it's more than a small change... we'll see.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I kinda doubt cat or doo will come out with new models for 2016. If so, it'll basically just "split the vote" for guys who want the latest and greatest. So in my eyes....not the best bang for the buck for your big new product intro. My guess is, pol won't offer a 3" or a 174, because they seem to be targeting a slightly different buyer....so even unchanged, the doo will sell decent next year, because that's what some guys want.

If doo waits till 2017, many of those same people who will buy a 2016 pol, would also buy a 2017 doo if it were new....just because they want the newest thing. I think both manufacturers would sell more sleds in the 2 year period this way.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I kinda doubt cat or doo will come out with new models for 2016. If so, it'll basically just "split the vote" for guys who want the latest and greatest. So in my eyes....not the best bang for the buck for your big new product intro. My guess is, pol won't offer a 3" or a 174, because they seem to be targeting a slightly different buyer....so even unchanged, the doo will sell decent next year, because that's what some guys want.

If doo waits till 2017, many of those same people who will buy a 2016 pol, would also buy a 2017 doo if it were new....just because they want the newest thing. I think both manufacturers would sell more sleds in the 2 year period this way.

they also have to look at how many guys buy polaris pros and how many of them buy a 3" track or want a 3" track. They can scoop up that money instead of the aftermarket as well as may steal some previously lost or new buyers. If this 800 is proven reliable then whats left to rag on polaris about?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
they also have to look at how many guys buy polaris pros and how many of them buy a 3" track or want a 3" track. They can scoop up that money instead of the aftermarket as well as may steal some previously lost or new buyers. If this 800 is proven reliable then whats left to rag on polaris about?
Realistically nothing, but there will always be something because many people have their brand preference and that's that.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Seriously, Polaris 800 motors are their only downfall in my opinion. I think the fit and finish a ski-doo is a little more complete than the others but that is my opinion. The Polaris and Cat are more like what you get when a person buys a brand new truck and then strips it and changes it to run the desert. More purpose specific in design. Does that make sense? That might be one reason the Summit weighs more too.

In the grand scheme of things I have notice Ford, Dodge, and GM never release completely new designs in the same year. They don't want to steal somebody else's thunder nor do they want to lose theirs. This year is Polaris thunder so maybe, just maybe those that believe 17 is the next big year for Ski-Doo are right.

C
Oct 28, 2010
In the grand scheme of things I have notice Ford, Dodge, and GM never release completely new designs in the same year. They don't want to steal somebody else's thunder nor do they want to lose theirs. This year is Polaris thunder so maybe, just maybe those that believe 17 is the next big year for Ski-Doo are right.
Cat will have a new motor/chassis is 17. Doo will in 18.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
IMO after looking at past history and hearing comments that poo didn't come out with anything spectacular, I think doo will just refine it's lineup and maybe offer a 2016.5 like they did with the etec in 2010.5.
I doubt doo will release a new engine and chassis in full production at the same time.

We will see in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using The terrible app called Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
my dealer is hoping for a production turbo....I 'm hoping for a freeride with a ras 2 front suspension and a 154 2.75.....and a price reduction(ya right).

Here is what makes the T3 special:

Track (3 inch lug)
Track Flex
T-Motion suspension

= T3

Track (3 inch lug)
Track Flex
T-Motion suspension
Turbo

= T4

???? :lol:

Premium Features