• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tkuss's 2015 Summit T-3 Mods/Ride Log

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I am going to update this thread throughout the year with the Mods I do to my sled and some pictures of my weekly rides.

I did a thread like this in the past on a different site and really enjoyed doing it, however Snowest doesnt have a good place for a thread like this, so I just chose to do it in the XM section.

I hope people enjoy it.

I picked up my 2015 Ski-Doo 163" T-3 this past weekend.

I plan on doing minor mods to it, can, clutching, bumper, a few vents etc throughout winter....

Started out with replacing the stock silencer with a ERA 2014 SLP Can

The install was very easy and my muffpot fits great.

I got a video of the sled idling in the garage, with both the stock can and SLP can. Doesnt show much, but I may try to edit it together to show the difference in sound.

Next I put on the Doo Linq bag. I actually dont know what size linq bag this is, as the dealer had it all ready for me when I picked up the sled, and it doesnt say any where on the bag. However the bag was extremly easy to install, and in the garage anyway the linq system works great. Cant wait to test out the bag on the snow.

Northern Colorado ended up getting a suprise 1ft+ of snow when only a few inches were forecast, so I loaded up the sled and drove up to the snow to get a few miles on and ease the thumb twitchness from not riding all summer.

Inital impressions are this sled is awesome.

Engine is super smooth, suspension seems to transfer how I would want it to on a trail, and overall ergonomics are comfortable.

I will say off the bat I think there is room for improvement in the clutching department, I think the way the stock setup backshifts is a bit slow and clumsy. I plan on running a roosterbuilt clutch kit once they get finalized for the T-3

And I know this has been said before, but was doo thinking leaving the grill wide open on the mtns sleds. Even in the foot or so of snow I was driving in yesterday, powder flooded into the engine compartment. I have a 2cool airvent to cover the nose that I have yet to put on and should solve that problem.

Below are some pics to show snowbuildup in the suspension and in the tunnel.

I dont know why doo didnt powdercoat the T-3 rails black like they did on the X packages? After seeing friends with newer Cats and the powdercoated tunnels/suspension parts, snow does not build up at all which means less weight on the sled. Snowbuildup doesnt seem horrible on my first ride, but definitly could be better.

And finally here is a pic of me loading the sled up after the 20 mile ride.

I got about 20 miles in, and the breakin % on the gauge is down to 93%. I may get a road ride in again soon before this snow goes down as we have no big storms lined up for the next week or two at least.

Regarding the SLP can, I love it. Its baffled so wont get louder over time, and its nice and quiet for an aftermarket can which is the main reason I got it. Still slightly louder than stock, but with a bit more aggresive tone. Overall very pleased with it so far.

Still to be installed, Racwerx Bumper, skidoo ambient air temp module. Upper A-arm grip n rip brace, ski doo skidplate and a bit of vent work.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Good question, I should of mentioned that I am coming from a stock 2010 Cat M-8 sno pro. Had quite a few clutch and diamond drive problems, and no warranty.

Hoping this doo gets me through the next season or two with few issues...

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
look forward to reading your posts..should be more of this on here

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
My T3 still sits in the garage. I have to been wondering about snow flooding the engine compartment do to the front end being "wide open". Please post a pic after you get the vent cover installed on the front of your sled. Thanks

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
On my past sleds, the snowflaps have fallen off over time from them bending in so many different way, and I found once they were off I like the sled better. Dont get in the way while stuck etc...

However if I ever run into cooling issues with this T-3, the snowflap will be the first thing that I put back on......

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
great looking sled. I was back and forth between this sled and the pro. went with a pro with all the upgrades options they gave in the snow check. think next year will be time to add a doo to the fleet. they look wicked.

Stevoreno

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2010
Park City, UT
Ski-Doo sells a filter kit for about $100 if memory serves, had to put it on my '13 and '14 and will put it on the '15 as well. For all the smart things they've been doing, not having it on from the factory makes no sense. Soon as it gets deep snow floods into the engine compartment, melts, steams and causes the engine to bog. Know this for sure, as I waited to put it on the '14 which made for a slightly frustrating first pow day last year.

Looking forward to following this thread, and now thinking about doing the same. Love the idea, and ability to see clear progression.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I knew about Doo's prefilter kit, and I wanted to avoid spending 100$ on prefilter material, hence the reason I got a after market vent for the front grill, it cost about 40$. However after now seeing that that prefilter kit cover more holes in the hood than just the big one up front, I wish I woulda went that route instead.

I got some spare door screen material in my garage, and I will probably try to use that to rig up something to cover the small hole in the hood that is right above the BRP symbol. I cant give in now to spending 100$ on doos prefilter kit :).

OsborneReady

Guide at Tracked Out Adventures
Lifetime Membership
So jealous! Man I wish I would have snowchecked a T-3... I have a 13' XM.. I love the hell out of it, its a great sled! I've logged over 2500 miles on it and can't wait to buy a newer one soon. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in here. I went with the HPS can over the SLP. The stock setup sounds like a vacuum cleaner and weighs a ton.

I knew about Doo's prefilter kit, and I wanted to avoid spending 100$ on prefilter material, hence the reason I got a after market vent for the front grill, it cost about 40$. However after now seeing that that prefilter kit cover more holes in the hood than just the big one up front, I wish I woulda went that route instead.

I got some spare door screen material in my garage, and I will probably try to use that to rig up something to cover the small hole in the hood that is right above the BRP symbol. I cant give in now to spending 100$ on doos prefilter kit :).
nice sled ,i will be riding same color but a 174 . brp "s ideas about selling the summit xms without the prefilter kit included has always seemed like a 100$ cash grab to me . specially the t3 series ,supposed to be the their badass mtn sled .

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO

No real good opinion on them yet after road riding 20 miles on a foot of light powder. Also I have no experience with the past doo skis at all either, so my opinion probably isnt worth much there.... The optional "powder wing" or whatever they call it is a cool idea though, looking forward seeing the differences with it on vs off...

Premium Features