• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wha do you guys reccomend for big bores

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Does that trygstad 872 kit run on 91 octane? Is clutch work required? I really want to keep my sled pump gas friendly but extra power is always fun.

Yup as long as you have trust in the pump gas your buying you want to protect your investment with good quality fuel....Running the correct ramp, spring & pin weight is essential when running a BB.

I hate ethanol fuel more and more gas stations are beginning to offer ethanol free fuel.

DPG

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
The old cat 1100/1200s were 190 hp at best... I can match that with a 880/single pipe?

I have 860/880 carb/twin pipe motors on the hill...for years?

Custom cylinders/heads make for expensive kits...using the stock cylinder gives you the best bang for the buck...180+ hp for under $1900 ?

It's all in the details, extensive hand porting, specific head mods, using the best piston, mocking up every motor to VERIFY all clearances and operations before box n ship (nobody else does this) then supply a full gasket set and a detailed build sheet to insure proper installation and "paper work" on what you have?

OT, tectonice, DPG , Steve... with ALL your riding time... Can you make it up the trail more than 2 miles without falling off your sled and hurting yourself?

?BJ

John, I really have respect for you and your work, and if I had a Doo you would be the guy I would send my motors to. In fact, you built me a 1025 triple years back. I have to disagree with you about the big bore Cats. There is no way an 8 something anything is close to a well setup 1150. It's old school, but that motor is still one of the most impressive things I have seen. Put that in a new chassis and it would be lights out. Those motors put out 140 ft lbs of torque. They are arm rippers.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Would be nice to see some comparison of a stock Xm to a big bore Xm. Don't need videos of a Rev or Xp big bore lets get some current sleds. For the price point and staying on pump fuel I'm liking the idea of a big bore for my T3.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
John, I really have respect for you and your work, and if I had a Doo you would be the guy I would send my motors to. In fact, you built me a 1025 triple years back. I have to disagree with you about the big bore Cats. There is no way an 8 something anything is close to a well setup 1150. It's old school, but that motor is still one of the most impressive things I have seen. Put that in a new chassis and it would be lights out. Those motors put out 140 ft lbs of torque. They are arm rippers.

Bacon I doo appreciate the kind words...
I never said the 1150 didn't make TQ, the cylinders can't make more than 190 HP...The 800R cylinder on the other hand is substantially better, hence matching the HP but the TQ is less do to less cubes...case in point, I have a 700HO built from the 600HO cylinder (awesome cylinder) that beats stock 800HO (crappy cylinder) power��

Steve, if you haven't noticed SHR is still here and still giving free advice on this forum for the last 14 years (same name��)...

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
So anyways.

All of the aftermarket BB motors make more HP than stock.

Some make more than others, some are more reliable than others, also keep in mind most of the BB are at least as reliable as a stocker.

Call them, go to their websites.

Doing the " What's the best whatever post" will ALWAYS end up where this one is.

Opinions are like A$$HOLES, and some are attached to A$$HOLES too.

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY

My 880 does a lot of damage to my buddys 1000 dragon cat... Yes he is making a few more ponies... But just doesn't get it to the ground as well... And yes Hobbes old 1150 in the zx chassis was handful....

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Hey FEZ

Have I EVER refused to race... Anything in my life??��������

How many trophies/plaques are on my wall from racing with my trail motors??

Isn't there a couple from the infamous AM SNOW shoot out??

OT

Pretty sure I had an OPEN invitation thread last year...small thread, only 25,000 hits... Only a couple guys wanted to play...as for sanctioned racing, podium winning race motors VS pump gas trail motors are same because????

I offer the most power available that will get you home at the end of the day...

Just saying BJ��

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Maybe this needs to be read again for a few in here.......I had taken it down last Friday but I guess some felt that was enough of a reason to go "back at it" nothing like logging in Monday morning and seeing a ton of reported posts of the same bull**** in the Ski-Doo section on big bores.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375302

Consider that the warning to ALL in this thread who can't seem to keep this on topic.

If you noticed your post gone or cleaned it was me.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
LoL BJ it's all good you know exactly what I'm talking about my brother.....It's all good moderator BJ & I are just having are usual annual elbow rub no harm no foul...Moderator by the way you appear to be a bit biased what gives ??? You delete everyone else's post but you allow BJ's inflammatory posts to remain... What Gives ??...I'm ok with it but it sure appears to be biased.

BJ I'm heading down to the trophy shop this week to buy you another trophy you can be proud of....What do you prefer a cup, wall plack or bone ? I'm thinking every good dog needs a bone. :face-icon-small-hap

Stock setup vs BB setup....IMO a good running BB is slightly better than a good running stocker 99.9% of the time...BJ wouldn't you agree ? ...FYI I switched to 2014 Cat because I can get more out of a BB 950 than I can a Doo 860 or 872....Did the side by side test last season 4 to 5 sled lengths better every time. And on the hill got the high mark everytime..Not trying to be biased both sleds rip the one with the most displacement should be slightly faster when tuned correctly :face-icon-small-hap...

DPG

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
LoL BJ it's all good you know exactly what I'm talking about my brother.....It's all good moderator BJ & I are just having are usual annual elbow rub no harm no foul...Moderator by the way you appear to be a bit biased what gives ??? You delete everyone else's post but you allow BJ's inflammatory posts to remain... What Gives ??...I'm ok with it but it sure appears to be biased.

BJ I'm heading down to the trophy shop this week to buy you another trophy you can be proud of....What do you prefer a cup, wall plack or bone ? I'm thinking every good dog needs a bone. :face-icon-small-hap

Stock setup vs BB setup....IMO a good running BB is slightly better than a good running stocker 99.9% of the time...BJ wouldn't you agree ? ...FYI I switched to 2014 Cat because I can get more out of a BB 950 than I can a Doo 860 or 872....Did the side by side test last season 4 to 5 sled lengths better every time. And on the hill got the high mark everytime..Not trying to be biased both sleds rip the one with the most displacement should be slightly faster when tuned correctly :face-icon-small-hap...

DPG

Not that I feel I need to defend myself to you but..........I was in the process of cleaning up this thread (which is just what I wanted to do on a Monday morning) and it's always easier to go through and delete full posts then it is to edit others. So I started with that first and about the time I started in editing individual posts I got a call from work (my actual day job) and had to head to a jobsite to help a customer.

But I can see where you are seeing the biased view. But if you would have been able to take a closer look at all of the posts in this thread before I started cleaning them up I already deleted all of the ones that were completely off topic with nothing in the post that contributed to this thread. Now I have to go through and edit the rest to remove the off topic stuff as some of them have actual information in them that some will find useful. So maybe that will give you an idea of why most of yours were just deleted and the rest are still here waiting to be edited.

So yes, more of your posts were deleted and more of BJ's are going to be edited (there were also others but lets be honest this is all you care about as you know I have it out for you and you have the the PM to prove it :face-icon-small-coo).

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
It all good...Back in the day the forum ran at its best by remaining subjective & objective which IMO is a mirror reflection of the entire motor sports industry...

Glad to see your taking notice :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
It's wishful thinking, I know!

... although I would be MORE inclined to purchase a BB kit IF the builder would stand behind his product for an amount of time. ..

Ace

SHR does...When we doo the work...

Pretty hard to offer a wty when YOU do the work ...not a dig but let's be real, you want me to wty something YOU worked on???

BJ

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Call me a Youtube dork, but video proof of claims sells product.

There's a handfull of impressive stuff out there for the 872 on it' own. Where's everybody else?

Get em lined, BB vs BB. BB vs Turbo. That's what the public wants.

Want to sell me a BB? Let's see you get close to turbo at 10,000+ feet!:couch2:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA

Pretty hard to offer a wty when YOU do the work ...not a dig but let's be real, you want me to wty something YOU worked on???

BJ

... where do most of your failures come from? Bad fuel? Improper install?

Ace

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States

BJ

Thats what happens when your good hearted and helpful in general as well as a product vendor pushing products you enjoy. The expectation level can become higher & higher every time you do someone a favor. Customer Service has and will always be a double edge sword pain in the A$$ I don't know anyone who likes it even though it's a mandatory part of doing business.

My disclaimer would be 10 pages long containing no less than 20 signatures notarized :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com

BJ

BJ, Ok you have my attention, what is your warranty when you do the install? Honestly besides that you are close to me what makes your kit better then the 872 in your opinion and why?

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Call BJ:

Any mention of what is the difference will only make for more moderator intervention. Perty much all of the builders has held each others cylinders in their hands. There are no "secrets".

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Call BJ:

Any mention of what is the difference will only make for more moderator intervention. Perty much all of the builders has held each others cylinders in their hands. There are no "secrets".

What you mean nobody has done a exhaust port relocate yet ? :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Call me a Youtube dork, but video proof of claims sells product.

There's a handfull of impressive stuff out there for the 872 on it' own. Where's everybody else?

Get em lined, BB vs BB. BB vs Turbo. That's what the public wants.

Want to sell me a BB? Let's see you get close to turbo at 10,000+ feet!:couch2:

I tried....had a BB challenge thread on all last year...no takers?...
There are SHR videos on YouTube too?

BJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features