• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR880 Challenge - bring it.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
DPG I run a pair of 872s. The diff at any altitude is pretty dramatic. Side by side with stock XMs the 872 goes easily where the stocker either can't make it or has to work really, really hard or has to have a much better rider to get there. You need to ride one yourself before you get to have an opinion that matters, and a modern ETEC or PTEC big bore.

I have ridden my share of BB's owned 3....I Know how they react in ALL aspects of mountain riding. Real snappy at the throttle especially in the bottom end and mid-range just what mountain riders like. I agree feels good on the thumb when your squeezing the throttle the response is crisp and clean.

What matters when riding deep deep snow at high elevations is maintaining track speed and the difference between a well setup 2014 Stock XM and BB XM at the track is minimal. Today's motors are already punched out BB right from the factory when compared to stock motors just a few years ago. There will alway be room for BB shops to clean up mass produced cylinders the factory stamps out by the 1000's. The result of the BB shops carefully perfecting the cylinders results in a smoother, crisper and snappier throttle response while only providing minimal gain in overall track speeds when compared to stock production sleds.

Ask a BB shop to post there Dyno results compared to stock Dyno results and you will see 1st hand that the Dyno graphs are pretty close.

DPG

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
There is a significant differance between a stock 800 and a well built/designed BB. I have rode my fair share of BB's and until last year never had the desire to install one. I have also rode BB's from other brands (never been on a SHR built engine BTW) that felt worse than stock or on par with it, leading me to believe there was quality control issues or actual tuning issues, but discouraged me none the less in considering one.

I have had a perfect chance last year to ride a brand new pump gas etec 872 verses my stock 800. Both sleds had stock clutching and gearing, and in breakin mode, but the BB has 5 grams more pinweight than mine pulling the same clicker position. Clutching does not lie, the BB was making way more power!!! dont need to see a dyno sheet. I told the owner of the BB once the clutching is sorted out it will be a animal!!

I could climb places on the BB that I could not on mine. The track speed on the BB was way higher than mine im trying to remember but I believe it was 5-6 MPH better than My 800, running crappy clutching.

Just my findings.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY

Video of scratley at fairview... He's too tarded to post himself. ����

So here's the deal... 872 is far right turbo cat is in between us.. All turbos I ran against were running straight race and around 10 to 12 lbs.. It was suppose to be a 3 count.. 872 went on 1 turbo on 2 and of my 880 on about 2.5... You can see the 872 about 3 lengths out just as I got on it.. Anyway passed the 872 about 200 ft out and at the top was around 8 to 10 lengths in front of him.. We raced twice.. same result second time.. This guy beat me on my 860 last yr.. So I know its dialed.. He is from Southern CO... We were at 10k.. or higher... And for you guys that think a stocker will run with a well tuned big bore up high... Well think again.. We were hitting 65mph at the top.. guessing that climb is around a 1000ft

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
So here's the deal... 872 is far right turbo cat is in between us.. All turbos I ran against were running straight race and around 10 to 12 lbs.. It was suppose to be a 3 count.. 872 went on 1 turbo on 2 and of my 880 on about 2.5... You can see the 872 about 3 lengths out just as I got on it.. Anyway passed the 872 about 200 ft out and at the top was around 8 to 10 lengths in front of him.. We raced twice.. same result second time.. This guy beat me on my 860 last yr.. So I know its dialed.. He is from Southern CO... We were at 10k.. or higher... And for you guys that think a stocker will run with a well tuned big bore up high... Well think again.. We were hitting 65mph at the top.. guessing that climb is around a 1000ft

880-872=8 sled legnths,,,, its in the math, jus sayin

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Forgive me scratley this thread is so long I can't remember if yours is a etec or not. Is the 872 a etec?

Nice race btw! And nice recovery after your hand slipped off the bar at the top, thought you were coming off!! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Forgive me scratley this thread is so long I can't remember if yours is a etec or not. Is the 872 a etec?

Nice race btw! And nice recovery after your hand slipped off the bar at the top, thought you were coming off!! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol! Ya I looked back and lost my grip.. His was an etec.. mine is a ptec.. I think it was a star valley sled.. Had there wrap all over it.. I think the guy races too.. He was on a 154 I am on a 163.. Snow was setup though.. So I say his advantage there.. Once I hit 60mph I pulled away pretty hard.. And with him getting the jump by 3 lengths I would say that is a legit win... I caught him slowly on the flats.. But once we hit the steep part, that's were I pulled away fast.. We are both running shockwave as well.. So they were setup very similar.
The Etec turbo's are amazing, they were the ones to beat for sure.. My 880 is not in the same league as the xm on 10lbs.. I was lucky enough to spend some time on one.. They pull omg hard.. I still prefer the BB in the tight trees though.. Just what you like I guess

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Nice job Scratley. Boy that kitty was a turd though for being turbo'd-unless he was backing off:face-icon-small-win. How much were the turbo etecs getting you by?

DPG, what kind of race do you want? That was 10,000 ft correct? If the snow was deeper Scrat would have beat the 872 by even more simply because of track--154 vs 163. I'm guessing as bad as the Cat stood up, it probably would have trenched in deeper snow and the 880 might have beaten it also. Who knows.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Nice job Scratley. Boy that kitty was a turd though for being turbo'd-unless he was backing off:face-icon-small-win. How much were the turbo etecs getting you by?

DPG, what kind of race do you want? That was 10,000 ft correct? If the snow was deeper Scrat would have beat the 872 by even more simply because of track--154 vs 163. I'm guessing as bad as the Cat stood up, it probably would have trenched in deeper snow and the 880 might have beaten it also. Who knows.

The one race I did with the Turbo xm was not that close.. But it was the guys kid riding it... I don't think he is a 100lbs yet.. But he can ride, he is 13 I think.. It was a turbo Boys turbo.. There was a Boondocker xm there as well.. He got me by about the same as I got the 872... And yes this was at 10k.. bottom of the hill is 9900 according to my gauge, And yes your right I just don't have it dialed for drag racing yet... It seems to load a lot hard in the powder.. I can jump in 3ft of fresh and not touch a thing from where its running now.. Not even a clicker. I am sure Mini told you the kind of riding I like.. That's what its setup for. You can hear it's not loading... Was running the helix out around 6 turns as well.. That's why the backshift was slow on top.. So from 3.5 to 6 turns I don't loose any rpm.. Makes me think I could use a different ramp when racing... Might try it yet this yr.. We are starting to get snow again... I also lost one my rear idlers Sat.. Destroyed my nice billet axel as well.. So that may have been robbing some power only having one wheel working back there..

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Any Impulse Etecs there?

No But I want to ride one bad.. I may try and get with Hobbes yet this if he makes an April trip... Every damn sled at the shootout is a turbo.. And they don't show up on pump gas either.. Lol! But either would I... BB's Just don't show up anymore... It was just the two of us. And in the trees in powder the BB is a lot closer to the turbo than flying up a treeless hill.. Just not my deal but fun to line them up once a year...

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
No But I want to ride one bad.. I may try and get with Hobbes yet this if he makes an April trip... Every damn sled at the shootout is a turbo.. And they don't show up on pump gas either.. Lol! But either would I... BB's Just don't show up anymore... It was just the two of us. And in the trees in powder the BB is a lot closer to the turbo than flying up a treeless hill.. Just not my deal but fun to line them up once a year...
Lets Plan a trip early next yr.. We are not that far apart.. I will make the trip to you.. Want to ride your area, meant to Quote you "Sledsrock"

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Deal! Looking forward to it. I hope our snow in this area (GM) is a bit better than what we had this year.

We are having a great spring here... Every few days getting a foot or more for 10 days straight.. Still have around 160in base in most areas

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Scrat--running the same ramps as you. They definitely will not load for racing. 441 ramps seem to be better for that. I regeared to a 2.25 or 2.14 (need to recount my bottom sprocket), 6 turns on the helix and was pulling 8500 in clicker two, dropped to one, still bouncing off rev limiter. Went to the trailer to add weight, pins were already full. I put bolts in the pins because I didn't have a different primary spring to put in. Was a little better, but still not happy for racing. Climbing and boondocking they are awesome though. May not be able to get the best of both worlds. Feels like I am binding in the secondary also, my upshift is stalling once in a while so maybe once I get that checked, I will be able to get it to load.

In the meantime, go beat up on some more big bores!!!

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Scrat--running the same ramps as you. They definitely will not load for racing. 441 ramps seem to be better for that. I regeared to a 2.25 or 2.14 (need to recount my bottom sprocket), 6 turns on the helix and was pulling 8500 in clicker two, dropped to one, still bouncing off rev limiter. Went to the trailer to add weight, pins were already full. I put bolts in the pins because I didn't have a different primary spring to put in. Was a little better, but still not happy for racing. Climbing and boondocking they are awesome though. May not be able to get the best of both worlds. Feels like I am binding in the secondary also, my upshift is stalling once in a while so maybe once I get that checked, I will be able to get it to load.

In the meantime, go beat up on some more big bores!!!
I am on my second spring this yr in the secondary.. They sac out fast.. I have around 900 miles this yr, 2000 on the motor now, maybe try a softer primary spring.. That's what I did

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Today in utah 9,500 ft... 3 different stock xm's could not even get into Shute... You can see where they powered out... 880 went over the top... And it's a steep one... Haven't touched it all because of avy... Doesn't get any sun.. 880 might not win every drag race but man put a load on it damn.. Might of sold a few motors for you today john.

how did the extra 7-10 hp feel??

BJ

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

isn't that cat 180 hp at 10,000'??

lucky YOU had an extra 7-10 hp over stock....

BJ

Last edited:
Premium Features